SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for a news script or cms which will enable me to make small posts to a site I wish to develop. Each post will contain a title (which also serves as a link to the specified page) and a description of 3-4 lines.

I wish to be able to assign a category to each post that I make. This should then allow me to display the 10 most recent news items on the front page, and then have links to separate categories where past news posts are archived.

Is there anything available already that can handle this? Perl would be an easier solution, but php/mysql would also be an option as I am yet to purchase any hosting for my site. Otherwise I will most likely attempt to make one myself via php/mysql.

thanks,
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote a script exactly like this a while ago - you can see it in action on www.fa-central.co.uk as far as I can remember. The code is horribly messy and it's not at all easy to port, but I've been considering tidying it up and releasing it as an open source project at some point. No idea when I'll get the time to do it though :{

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to go with a Perl script, you might want to take a look at NewsPro (http://www.amphibianweb.com/newspro/). Supports multiple users, categories and automatic archiving.

SSI calls the news items, so it doesn't take up quite as much space as some other programs.
    It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinions; it is easy in solitude to live after one's own. But the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

~~ Emerson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooops I forgot about that. Newspro is an absolutely superb script with a huge range of add-ons and highly customisable. Unfortunately if you use it on a commercial site you have to display a link back to the newspro home page - small price to pay for such an excellent script, but it can look slightly unprofessional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newspro is a really good perl newsposter.

If you want php, I've been experimenting with wsnm from http://www.plebian.com

This is the direct url:
    http://www.plebian.com/g/software/wsnm

• Here are the main features of it:
      wsnm (website news manager) is the ultimate news manager for a website. utilising php and mysql you have a total solution to manage ever aspect of your site news or whatever it is you like. these scripts have been designed for very easy intergration into an existing site design

main features:

you create user accounts so they can post news.
      you can select users of whos posts must be authorised before they are shown
      news catergories.
      "says" comments (you could set to from the so-and-so dept)
      profile for all users. they can edit what and what not to show and can also change their password
      users can edit their own articles
      full administration scripts. lots of very useful options/features
      smiley conversions, make :) a smiley icon
      readers can post comments to articles and vote on articles
      only html that you specify is allowed in a comment or article
      printer friendly version of article
      "send to friend"
      badword filters
      test filters
      spam blocking
      very powerful search engine
      show only x articles per page with a "next" button
      checks whether browser supports page compression and if it does, the page is compressed creating smaller download times.
      easily integrate the script into your existing site design
      many more features ..
      requirements
      web server with support for php4 (preferably latest version)
      mysql server (preferably lastest stable version)