SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think web publishing is something you should do only if you truly enjoy it. Don't get me wrong - I am doing this for profit, and I think it's totally legitimate for you to do the same. I just think this can be a dreary, lonely and frustrating work at times and there's no guarantee that you'll make money any time soon. Me, I'm addicted to it. I've been doing it for over two years without making any profit. Then another year with small profits. Only in the last 4-5 months I've started making the equivalent of a proper salary.

But I enjoyed every minute of it and still do. Given free time, I choose to sit by the computer and work (and reading/posting here is work too ).

I wouldn't count on this as money for the wedding, but if you think this might be something you'd enjoy doing, by all means give it a go. The costs are minimal. A domain is less than $10 a year and hosting comes as low as $2 a month. So for the price of a cup of cofee you can cover your monthly expenses. As to what you'll do with the website - there is no one formula, but here are my tips for maximizing profits from my humble experience, which is limited mostly to content sites and advertising/affiiliations -

1. Choose a small niche in a profitable market. Don't try to be the next Amazon, but rather pick a section of profitable amazon products and build a site around them.

2. Learn all you can about promoting the site. Design, structure and content are all worthless if you can't get the traffic. It needs to be quality traffic - banner exchange networks won't do and you need as much of it as possible.

3. Be patient. Most sites need a long time to blossom. You will probably won't see any money for months to come.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I never thought so many people would respond. You guys rock!

A little more about my situation: I'm not totally desperate here. My fiance and I have saved about $2500 already, and I have made all decorations, bouquets, ringpillow, toasting glasses, veil, flower basket myself, and got my dress for under $100 (I rock!). But I will say that I won't take a second job again. Last time I ran taxi for the railroad from 8pm-3am then worked 10am-7pm at my first job. If I tried that now, I would fall down dead in three weeks time.

I do have some webbuilding experience, but I am lucky in that my fiance works for the local university lecturing and webmastering for their entire life sciences department. He introduced me to a very yummy program called Dreamweaver. I do know how to write html, but I haven't done it for about 4 or 5 years and I taught myself in the first place, so I'm not that great.

I will say that I truly do love to write. I was thinking about writing ebooks and selling them for very low cost. I have an almost endless source of information in my mother as well. She is much like myself and has "been there, done that." She is also a great student of natural medicine, healing and beauty (we are also native american descended from a shaman). I asked her for miscellaneous tips for the household to put together a little ebook, and after about an hour she handed me two full pages just on the uses of lemons!

Me, I'm the type of person to write essays and term papers for fun (geek alert!) Informational, opinionated, stories, etc. I adore writing. I've held a job in just about every category too--from bikini bar to the united states army to home nursing...oh the stories I could tell and advice I could give!

I would love to put up a webpage and sell my little ebooks for about $2 a piece. I have a domain name, a webpage and have joined about 6 traffic exchanges and built up credits for when I want to "launch" and am ready for visitors. I even have a little counter on my page that I set to 1453 (so I don't look pathetic when people visit--no one is impressed if they are the first one there).

My problem? Taking my precious little ebooks and setting up a system that will run like this:

1) Customer decides to purchase an ebook
    2) Customer pays with Paypal or Stormpay
    3) Transaction completes
    4) Customer is automatically sent ebook.

Now I've dabbled in autoresponders, but setting up this system eludes me. My webpage provider has a shoppingcart feature, but I am ashamed to say, it was all greek to me...and that was the tutorial page! My fiance was no help, as the university has no use for shopping carts on their pages.

To be clear about my intentions, I'm not looking for someone to do it for me or post all the ins and outs of shopping carts or anything like that. If someone would be kind enough to point me to a link akin to "shopping carts for morons", it would be appreciated. I much prefer teaching myself using a guide than having someone hold my hand.

I'm trying not to have any illusions about "instant success" either. I figure on spending about 4 hours every night setting up my page and clicking to build traffic for about 3 to four weeks. Then I figure I will be happy if one person out of 2500 that visit my site buys an ebook.

Sorry to ramble on like that...told you I love to write! Thank you to all who posted and advanced thanks to any who will!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really wanted to start an internet business, you could do it tonight for less than $10 AND without a website. You could go to all of your neighbors and ask if they have any "stuff" they want to get rid of it. You then could list it on ebay (or overstock or amazon ...) and take a cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might do better if you can make enough E-books that you can sell for around $25.00, or more.

Most people probably won't spend time to order a $2.00 ebook! Offer more, charge more, get more orders, make more money! Get rich quick, er dream to get rich quick!

http://www.clickbank.com/ is the # one place on the internet for selling E-books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of file is an ebook? I mean extension, pdf?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been in web design since mid-90's when people only knew how to spell it.. But I've been into SEO for the past 6 months.. I have made far more money the past few months than I have the previous 8 years. I have found you can make a decent living online.. Just takes time and seo skills.

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by realestate
    What kind of file is an ebook? I mean extension, pdf?
    A GOOD eook should be in a lot. I would suggest these:
    .pdf
    .exe (optional)
    .doc
    .txt
    .rtf (optional)
    and for those tech junkies, offer it in binary

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savingforwedding
    So weary. Does anyone actually make money on the internet, or are they all scammers? I am looking to supplement my income by doing an honest day's work for an honest day's pay on the internet...
    Yes, people do actually make money on the Internet. Some people make great money. They are not all scammers. My guess is that the majority of people who make money online are not scammers.

If you can find a telecommuting job where you can work via the Internet, I think that's your best bet for "doing an honest day's work for an honest day's pay." If you're thinking of starting your own business on the Internet, you can expect to do a LOT of work up front and (maybe) make money sometime in the future from that work. It may not work exactly that way, though. You could find yourself putting hundreds or thousands of hours of work into your site over the coming year and maybe make a few bucks.

I suppose when it really comes down to it is whether or not you are willing to risk many, many hours of work for the POSSIBILITY of eventually earning a fair amount of money for the time you put in.

If you need a sure thing, such as a few thousand dollars more for your wedding in December 2005, it really may be the best idea to get a second part-time job working the two days a week you have off from your regular full-time job and save all the money from your part-time job for your wedding. You could easily save 4 to 7 thousand dollars over the course of a year that way. Running a biz on the net could make you a LOT more than that... or a whole lot less (with 10x the amount of time put in). Might be a little more risky than what you want if you really need this $$ by Dec 2005.

Why not get a second job only temporarily until you are able to save up the money you need for your wedding, then after you have the money you can spend all the time you want working on an Internet business and not having to worry about making a certain amount online by December.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Enthusiast BeauCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techmonkey
    Here's an idea:

I have a buddy that was out of work for almost a year due to an injury that required surgery. I came up with the idea that I would create a couple of content sites, have him manage some of the content and promotion (with my guidance) and we would split the $$. He made a couple G's doing that.

Thats a great idea. I cant believe ive never though of that. I have so many friends that want to get involved with what I am doing, but I dont want to hire them as "employees", I think this would be the perfect solution.

@ savingforwedding

if you need to make money fast, I suggest that you learn about affiliate marketing and ppc search engines. That is what I do to earn a lot of money quick that I can pour into other investments.
    BeauCreative Web Development
    FotoFight Photography Contests
    Engolfed - Link Exchange? Write for us? PM Me.
    datingUpdate | BiographyCollection - Link Exchange? PM Me.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, don't take what I wrote as being overly pessimistic. Think of what I wrote as being more about risk aversion (I think it's very risky to count on online income for such an important event, your wedding, considering you would just be getting started and your wedding is less than a year away).

Personally, I'm extremely optimistic about the potential of building a very successful business online and even more optimistic about people making small side incomes online. I'm very successful with my own online business, so I know for sure that others can be just as successful.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way to go about doing this would probably to become a host. You don't have to be a real host (get server, direct internet connection, et cetera), that would cost too much. Instead, you could get a reseller account. Have free and paid services.

I know a guy (one year younger than me), he was about to sell his hosting site, so he had to state some specs. He said that he was making $300/month by the paid hosting alone. Then he also got money from ads. Since I volunteered with him, I got some inside specs. People clicked his ads a lot. So he made quite a bit of money by itself. So all together he had an income of something like ~$500/month. Take away $50/month for the reselling account and that leaves ~$450/month. Not too shabby if you ask me..... Oh, he was auctioning off the site and it was up to $1400, but he decided to keep it.....

There are ways to attract people to your hosting site. Like for the free hosting, don't make it completely free. Make it so that the people have to participate in a forum. Like a point system. They get 100 points and get some sort of host (never have to post after that). Hopefully the community in that forum would be good enough that the people will stay. And hopefully you'll get someone too be dedicated to you and tell everybody to click the ads and help out (this happened with a host).

There are some other things, but I forget.....but that's the basics.

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achang
    The easiest way to go about doing this would probably to become a host. You don't have to be a real host (get server, direct internet connection, et cetera), that would cost too much. Instead, you could get a reseller account. Have free and paid services.

I know a guy (one year younger than me), he was about to sell his hosting site, so he had to state some specs. He said that he was making $300/month by the paid hosting alone. Then he also got money from ads. Since I volunteered with him, I got some inside specs. People clicked his ads a lot. So he made quite a bit of money by itself. So all together he had an income of something like ~$500/month. Take away $50/month for the reselling account and that leaves ~$450/month. Not too shabby if you ask me..... Oh, he was auctioning off the site and it was up to $1400, but he decided to keep it.....

There are ways to attract people to your hosting site. Like for the free hosting, don't make it completely free. Make it so that the people have to participate in a forum. Like a point system. They get 100 points and get some sort of host (never have to post after that). Hopefully the community in that forum would be good enough that the people will stay. And hopefully you'll get someone too be dedicated to you and tell everybody to click the ads and help out (this happened with a host).

There are some other things, but I forget.....but that's the basics.
    Not to say that is bad advice... but that is bad advice! Web hosting is THE most competitive industry on the internet. Just look at adwords- people paying up to $10 per click! It's crazy.
    If you go into webhosting, the competition will be insane. I strongly don't recommend it as a first site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the hosting market is way too saturated

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone and his dog is a web host these days. Yet it's not that easy as it may seem. It takes knowledge and dedication.

I agree with the others: if you need money relatively fast and with little risk, an internet business (or pretty much any business) is not the most recommended road. A job would be a better choice (IMO).

And hopefully you'll get someone too be dedicated to you and tell everybody to click the ads and help out (this happened with a host).
    Suggesting people to click on the ads when you're paid per click will almost certainly be against the policy of the advertising company.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people here have 10, 20, 50 sites. Most of us don't have the time to create so many sites. But what if we could just lend our expertise, research a good niche, throw together a decent SE friendly site with basic content management, and then let our franchisees do data entry to build content and link building? Split the revenue with them on each site.
    I've considered that, but after showing someone exactly what to do why wouldn't they compete with you? I give out alot of advice, but I still hold many ideas back.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I never thought so many people would respond. You guys rock!

A little more about my situation: I'm not totally desperate here. My fiance and I have saved about $2500 already, and I have made all decorations, bouquets, ringpillow, toasting glasses, veil, flower basket myself, and got my dress for under $100 (I rock!). But I will say that I won't take a second job again. Last time I ran taxi for the railroad from 8pm-3am then worked 10am-7pm at my first job. If I tried that now, I would fall down dead in three weeks time.
    hello,

i think you already know what you are good at! You said it yourself how you did all that stuff for your wedding with only little hard work..so why not do something like advice for others on how they can get married and keep themselves within a budget..or why not assemble packages for decorations and other stuff and sell it online..all that can be done without really much investment just like everyone else said..anyhow good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SFW, if you can write and have so much knowledge to share - you're half way there.

Don't limit the content to e-books. Work on e-books but at the same time offer lots of content via web pages. Then monetize on the content using advertising. Adsense is your best option to start with, as they accept low traffic sites and can have a very good eCPM.

Use something like wordtracker.com to find out the key phrases people are looking for in your fields of expertise. Then write web content targeted at those search phrases. Write for the people - but have what they're looking for in mind. At wordtracker.com you can also check which key phrases get high bids on overture, or you can just check directly on overture and on google adwords (you have to join as an advertiser first). Try to go for articles in niches where people pay more per click, but the market isn't too saturated with competing pages.

Write, write, write and create a content rich site. This doesn't come easy to everyone, so that's why I don't think it's been suggested to you before. But since you say writing comes easy to you and you enjoy it - just do it. Add adsense code to your pages in a good position.

Then promote your site as much as you can. Read all you can here at SPF and elsewhere about promotion. Basically, get as many links pointing to your site from content related sites (you will usually need to reciprocate with a link, so make sure you have pages for that in your site).

It's the easiest business to get into, provided that you can write. Costs are minimal and there's little risk. You should be able to gradually make some money off the site. Again, I don't guarantee you'll make much by your wedding, but the nice thing about a good content site is watching the traffic and revenue grow with time.

Check my signature - these are all my sites and most of them are based on the model specified above.

techmonkey, I am doing pretty much what you suggested with two partners. They are in charge of content writing and day to day maintenance of the sites. Replying to emails and such. It works just great - but these are two people that I have had a great relationship before we started out so we have perfect trust among us. If you don't have that, I think you may get into arguments about who's doing more of the work and who's to get how much of the revenue. Also, these have to be long term partnerships and you need to make sure both parties see it that way, so you won't have one of them wanting to sell the site a year later. Just my thoughts so far.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Steve Snedeker

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Nintendo said pretty much solves you're shopping cart problem. Use a processor like clickbank or PayPal. They do all the ckeckout stuff for you. You just link to the site and you're done.
    Founder/Admin of a pretty decent chat forum
    Download free winterboard themes for your iPhone
    I run sites powered by vbulletin and one about the HTC Jetstream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you're looking for inspiration, or a story of somebody that actually "did" it.

Allow me to post the following article from Business 2.0

JON GALES | The Blogger who makes $55k working 3 hours a day
    Business 2.0 November 2004 (business2.com)

If a 19-year old kid can make a respectable living by working the web a few hours a day, why can’t you?

Jon Gales still lives with his parents in Tampa, Fla., has no college degree, tends to his site occasionally – and pull down $55,000 in a year for a job he’d gladly do for nothing.

He’s one of a rare but growing breed: the independent blogger who, through smarts, dedication, and a bit of luck, turns a profit. In august alone, his all-cell-phones, all-the-time website, Mobiletracker.net earned him $4,600. Given the time he put in, that works out to be about $70 an hour.

After finishing High School in 2002, he got a Sony Ericsson mobile phone and posted a review on a Macintosh enthusiast’s website that linked to Amazon Associates, an online affiliate program that pays for referrals. After getting back $150, he realised that “there was some money to be made here”.

So Gales launched mobiletracker in 2003 to cover the cell phone world. Logging on in the middle of the night to search for late-breaking titbits – like when Siemens would bring out a fancier camera phone – he posted news, which attracted viewers.

Mobiletracker servers more than 300,000 page views a month to 140,000 unique visitors, according to web-tracking sites. And every time a viewer clicks on one of Mobiletracker.net’s Google-provided links, the search engine kicks back some money to Gales, depending upon what an advertiser is willing to pay. Generally, the more expensive the products or services on a site, the bigger the payout.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say that I truly do love to write. I was thinking about writing ebooks and selling them for very low cost. I have an almost endless source of information in my mother as well. She is much like myself and has "been there, done that." She is also a great student of natural medicine, healing and beauty (we are also native american descended from a shaman). I asked her for miscellaneous tips for the household to put together a little ebook, and after about an hour she handed me two full pages just on the uses of lemons!
    A lot of publishers would pay up to $25 for short articles if they were quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techmonkey
    A lot of publishers would pay up to $25 for short articles if they were quality.
    True, and even more. Try www.constant-content.com. I know someone who sells articles there regularly for around $50 a piece.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Steve Snedeker

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it took me two years to startearning an average of $500/month from my site and work ! it is hard and there's no magical solution !! only hard work and dedication !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me ask you one fundemental question. How much money would you like to earn and when do you need it by? That will give a bit more direction in what ideas people can suggest.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is possible to make good money from the net. Every site I have help created pull a profit from the first month. It doesn't take so much as hard work as it is knowing what you're doing and knowing what sector of the net is the most profitable. It's the old "Working smart is better than working hard" saying.

There are many net business models to chose from. I favour the content site advertising model since that's where I make my money. Others will favour ecommerce or affilaite sales. Find your niche, study up on it, make your business plan and work smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anat
    I know someone who sells articles there regularly for around $50 a piece.
    Thats a scam!!! You can get articles for under 25 cents an article!!!!