SitePoint Mentor NightStalker-DNS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question SQL Server 2000 - Replication Merge

Hey guys

I need your help.

I have a server running SQL Server 2000. I want to merge a database on another machine with the one on the local machine. I have an ODBC connection set up. So, how do i merge the 2 databases?

I need to no the syntax as i have never done something like this b4 and dnt no any syntax for this or how to go about it.

All i no is how to create a job, but i need the command syntax that is supported by Replication merge.

I 1st need to make a duplicate and from then on merge it... so, must i 1st do a Replication snapshot? Or will merge do this 4 me?

Sorry, 4 all the questions

Thanks a lot 4 the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, merging databases is no simple task. -We can't just give you a script to run. You have to use Enterprise Manager (well, it's easier that way, IMO) to configure your two SQL Servers for replication. In so doing, you'll need to configure the publishing server, specify a distributing server and identify one or more subscribing servers. Next, you need to specify which database items need to be merged. These are called publications.

If you just want to transfer a database from Server A to Server B, just backup the database and restore over the other one. If BOTH servers have data that need to be exchanged, then you'll probably need to configure SQL Server replication. However, if you only have one table with a few fields that need merging, maybe you can write a script yourself.

Tell us more about your situation..

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, well here is the scenario.

We have a national server running a rare DB (Not SQL Server) which needs to be replicated daily to a SQL Server database with each change. It must be replicated over the internet.

Wat would be the best way to do this?

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming that this process is only between the two servers and the direction of data flow is one-way, then..

Have your "rare database system" export data in a common format like tab-delimited or CSV to a folder, on a schedule. Schedule a batch script that will pull or push FTP the data files to the SQL Server machine.

Then, simply run the wizard for "Import Data" and at the end, specify to save and schedule your import as a local DTS package.

I must warn you though, it might be a little harder than it sounds. You might have to get involved with specifying individual data transformations (changing the blah-column from a char(9) to an int, for example). -Depends on how strict you want to make things..

When you create the FTP batch scripts, you use the Windows Task Scheduler to set the schedule.

You have a lot of reading and learning ahead of you! Good luck!

Dan

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey

Thanks a lot 4 your reply. Reading is fine. If thats wat it takes, no problem!

Thanks again.