SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Feasibility

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, just a quick question: is it feasible to create a small private fantasy baseball site for a few friends, sort of in the manner of Yahoo's (fantasysports.yahoo.com)?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, thanks for your replies.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get yourself some hosting space and create a site for you and your friends.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, in addition a follow-up question, how hard would it actually be to create a whole database for the fantasy site, and overall-make it work?

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would need to use either ASP or a combination of PHP and mySQL. How proffiecient are you in these languages?

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aloha11505
    a small private fantasy baseball site
    Could you please assist me in my learning of other cultures and explain whiat fantasy baseball is?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also use Perl

It would probably take a while, depending on how familiar you are with any of those languages. If you don't know anything about them, then you should either 1) find a premade script, 2) get someone else to write it, or 3) learn how to and make it yourself.

I'd recommend #3, just because as a webmaster, you'll need to learn how to program one of those languages very well.

If you already are good at programming in one of those languages then expect it to take about 2-4 weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gather this would be a small project to teach yourself programming and database access. Hopefully your friends will be impressed too!

At the start of this year I started learning ASP/SQL but then I switched to PHP and taught myself PHP in record time (I was experienced in C++). I now have a database driven site, and I am quite happy with it. I think it is not bad for a first project, and now I feel ready to offer my services to anyone who wants to pay for a database driven web site.

If I am wrong and you don't really want to learn a new language, then you could get a pre-made script from http://php.resourceindex.com/ (tell me if this link is broken). I encourage you to learn though. It may be easier than you think, especially PHP.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies.

First off-Freaky Sid-Fantasy Baseball is a popular hobby that is finding new momentum online, I encourage you to check out sites like Yahoo's, and SmallWorld. These sites make quite a bundle because of their "stickiness", but i'm not in it for that.

I'm not sure if I want to write a script, but it seems like something I should definitly try. Hopefully it all works out well, and if I can't do it, i'll pay someone, lol.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    failing that, the Dreaded front page will write the asp for you if your databases are not too complex.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS