SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used both a font and CSS for text. Is this totally wrong or will it work without problem. I seem to recall I used the font because with NS it didn't always look as it did in IE.

For example I have this

<b><font face="Brush Script" color="#9E1D9B" class="smalltitle">Watercolor
    Art</font></b><br>

Does one take precedent over another ie: would having a different font color than specified in the CSS be used or would it be whatever was closest to the text?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi gthorley.

Not a css guru by any means - but in redoing my site I fell into the usual issues with NS not obeying the css. So I applied the font tags to the problem areas as a quick fix - that fix is still in place from what I have read, and experienced, font tags will over ride css rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait wait..is brush script a common font? else users who don't have it will view it as a default font. on win, its times new roman...unless the user changed the settings.

I've never had problems with css fonts. maybe oyu could show us the css code?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Netscape does have issues with css.. esp when used on tables. Granted 6 is better, but they still have a ways to go for full compliance.

regarding the font.. very true - if you are using an uncommon font that does not exist on the users computer the page will default to the users set font [times new roman or arial]

This is a pretty handly piece of web, Netscape Bugs by Netscape

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats for that link crashz
    what problem with font? the only i can think of is netscape not display the font after table tags...or form tags..

but that can be resolved by placing it round a span tag.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding Font, I was referring to this statement:
    wait wait..is brush script a common font? else users who don't have it will view it as a default font. on win, its times new roman...unless the user changed the settings.
    and this:
    <b><font face="Brush Script" color="#9E1D9B" class="smalltitle">Watercolor
    Art</font></b><br>
    Where "Brush Script" is not a common font - many users will not be able to see your font as you specified (and stated in first quote) I do know that there is a code to force the font, but I have not used it, therefore do not have it.

PS: you can apply your style to <td> and <tr> tags, Netscape will honor them - at least it does for me

[edited to fix evil vB code]
    Last edited by crashZ; May 12, 2001 at 22:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My solution: I have two versions of my stylesheet and use javascript to determine the browser then apply the appropriate style. I do this because the size of the fonts looks one way in IE and another in NN. I use the span or div tags to apply the styles. The only time I use the font tag is if I want a different color/size for one particular area. If I find myself using the font tag for the same thing often, then it's time for me to add it to the stylesheet.

I've stuck to putting my span tags after the table data [<td><span class=content>] because when I try to apply the style within the table data tag [<td class=content>], the style has only shown up reliably in IE and not always in NN.

You can specify more than one font when defining your font-family. If the first one isn't available then second gets used etc. read here: http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/cs...nt-family.html