SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apple vs. Dell for start-up company

I'm working with a start-up company right now and we're making decisions on what types of computers to provide for our employees. Our brand is all about hip/sexy/cool so the thought is to go with Apples. Having said that, I realize that very few companies go exclusively with Apples and figured there must be a reason for that. In addition, Apples also cost more which is a consideration.

I'd love to hear from someone who has been pondering this same choice before and get some feedback on whether going exclusively Apple would be a smart or stupid thing to do. It would be awesome to hear all pros and cons including support-related issues and user response to either environment.

Thanks!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not gonna partake in a holy war over computers and Operating Systems- however next time you try to evaluate the costs of computers consider support costs involved in the total cost. I know from experience with where I work the pcs in the office require techs to fix stuff constantly- even worse the macs in the office rarely experience problems.

Anyway again im not gonna involve myself in a war here- however consider all costs cause i know how expensive techs are.
    Michael D'Angelo
    mdangelo@mdangelo.com
    Free Link Popularity, www.expirednic.com
    Macintosh Webmaster Information, www.webmastermac.com

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I've never been in your situation, so this is just my quick thoughts on it. I love Macs. This is a new thing for me- I've been a PC user for the last decade or whatever. This year I've really been working on Macs for a lot of things and, whew, they're beautiful. I don't know what kind of company you have and what their tech expertise is like, but Apple seems (to me) to be a lot easier to work with- more intuitive, less problems.

With that in mind, one of the biggest things you're going to have to consider is software. Apple is severely limited in that respect. There might be some custom software that your want to use that might be PC-only. That's something you should take under consideration.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our brand is all about hip/sexy/cool... is not enough to recommend which to go with. What will the employees be using the computers for? What is your company actually doing? Selling fruit? Graphic Design?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy JRMillion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally would go with PC, but then again I have always been a PC user.
    But if you were buying a bunch of machine and cost was an issue, you could do better with PCs. Sure there are the inexpensive macs... but they are 1 piece computer (except for mac mini) which arnt great if you wanna easily replace components etc.

if you want slick/sexy, get nice cases and monitors
    James Rice :: Ex-Mentor
    www.jamesrice.net

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll also recommend PCs, mainly for their low purchasing prices, and high software availability.

But like Egor said, we'd benefit from knowing what this company did
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You haven't really said enough for people to give you an accurate assessment.

What kind of applications are you going to be using?

What will the primary purpose of the computers be?

What kind of experience will the people using them have?

What will their job function be?

How long do you want them to last?

Is price, performance, or the ability to easily upgrade more important?

What kind of network/support structure will they be used with?

What goals do they need to support in your overall environment?

etc. etc.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy JRMillion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus... unless you need an application that is really specific to one platform or the other.... it doesnt really matter

If you are a development company, you should have at least one of both types for platform testing. Thats why I am going to pickup a mac mini soon....

Finding good people to work for you is far more important
    James Rice :: Ex-Mentor
    www.jamesrice.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not go with both? Have a mixed platform, that's the way a lot of places are going that are looking for that "hip/sexy/cool" feel. I support many companies like this and they tend area's that are "hip/sexy/ and cool". I know of many that use all Mac's but I will say that its few and far between.

But like paladin said its impossible to give a good recommendation without knowing more info. Anyone responding is just answering a question do you like Macs or PC's.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As everyone has said above, it is hard to make a recommendation without knowing what your company does. I would generally suggest going with Macs rather and Windows based boxes though. Macs definitely have the 'cool' factor, but they are also more stable and require less support as the don't break down as often.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with Mac if you want to do graphics design. For anything else I would use PC

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having never used anything but a PC, I'd have to say GO MAC! I'm SO SICK of Windows bugs, viruses, spyware and promotional crap. It's a never ending battle.

However, I tend to agree with those who advise using both. I think it's important to have one foot in each door if you really want to make it in an industry monopolized by Crapware, Inc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macs have lower upkeep costs... Less restarts... Less updates... Stable software... A network that "just works". Macs are good if you can afford them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen!

Well put geosite! I always like seeing people who are realistic about needign to be familiar with both platforms!

Quote Originally Posted by geosite
    Having never used anything but a PC, I'd have to say GO MAC! I'm SO SICK of Windows bugs, viruses, spyware and promotional crap. It's a never ending battle.

However, I tend to agree with those who advise using both. I think it's important to have one foot in each door if you really want to make it in an industry monopolized by Crapware, Inc.
    Michael D'Angelo
    mdangelo@mdangelo.com
    Free Link Popularity, www.expirednic.com
    Macintosh Webmaster Information, www.webmastermac.com

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that we need more info to make an accurate assessment, but my default recommendation is that if you do not specifically need any software that is only availiable on the PC, go with mac, for the love of god.

The iMac G5 is VERY nice value (it matches up pricing wise to a comparable Dell just fine), and the Mac Mini is even better in that department.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwinweekly.com
    Why not go with both? Have a mixed platform, that's the way a lot of places are going that are looking for that "hip/sexy/cool" feel. I support many companies like this and they tend area's that are "hip/sexy/ and cool". I know of many that use all Mac's but I will say that its few and far between.

But like paladin said its impossible to give a good recommendation without knowing more info. Anyone responding is just answering a question do you like Macs or PC's.
    No way. I would pick one or the other and stick to it. It would be a nightmare to have to admin/support two different platforms. And for what reason?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does your business need for software. Macs still cater to a niche audience and are not always practical for business. If you want cool looking PCs then you can always get alienware or something like that. Avoid Dell though. Their defect rate and support are unacceptable. I ordered close to $100k worth of hardware for the company I work for from Dell and they treat us like garbage.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipwhite
    What does your business need for software. Macs still cater to a niche audience and are not always practical for business.
    I'm not sure that you can call the audience of Apple "niche" anymore, but I agree with you that they are not always practical. As everyone else have said in this thread, it depends on what you do.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com