SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Intranet Site - Never done this B4!

Iíve done public websites in the past and I am currently working on an internal site (intranet) for the company I work for. Itís a hospitality industry and would primarily serve internal employees. Iím curious whatís typically included in an intranet site? Iím thinking about running php-nuke for content handling, faq, and few other bells and whistles. Iím open to suggestions as far as setting this up as Iíve never done one before.

The plan currently is to include:

-Printable, online, and email forms

-FAQ section for the more common IT related issues users experience

-Employee contact information (Name, department, extension, email, etc)

-Web-mail access Squirrelmail (Iím completely open to suggestions with this bland text based looking interface!)

-Calendar of events

I guess Iím just unsure of the direction to go as Iíve never traveled this path. Any suggestions, tips, and ideas would be much welcomed!

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try not to let the fact that it is an "Intranet" intimidate you. It is a website. The only difference is the users and the access. You will need to gather requirements if you haven't done so already.

The fact that you are somewhat unsure about features tells me that you may not have enough info from them. You might want to back up a step and do a thorough consultation before doing anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the size of your company, you might consider putting up images of people in the Employee contact information.

Also I suggest a search facility for finding the right person even if you don't know which department this person works in. Eg. search for "winamp" and the result should be a list (with pictures) of all yer winamp people, listing their respective fields of expertise (installing, troubleshooting, content provider etc).

Good luck