SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

I am a teacher of English and Spanish. I have a website, and I want my students to listen to some audio and then be able to record it and compare it with the voice of the native speaker.

Example

The native voice says "Hi, my name is John" , then the student will record his or her voice trying to imitate the pronunciation, then, playback the voice to see how are they doing with the pronunciation.

Thank you everybody.
    Desperate teacher.!!
    The more that I learn the less that I know...I think was Demostenes, Greek genius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Welcome to SitePoint Forums!
    Hmm..Are you trying to play music on the web site or recording sounds on the web site? Recording should be done locally on the computer. Not hte web site. Requires some softwrae...

Did I get you right?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi.

Originally posted by lynlimz
    Hi,

Welcome to SitePoint Forums!
    Hmm..Are you trying to play music on the web site or recording sounds on the web site? Recording should be done locally on the computer. Not hte web site. Requires some softwrae...

Did I get you right?
    Thank you for your answer. In fact I want to record the audio directly on the website. I need something that can play my voice and the allow my students to record their voices in order to improve their pronunciation in English and Spanish.
    All this has to be directly on the website. If you can give more info I will apreciatte it . Thanks
    The more that I learn the less that I know...I think was Demostenes, Greek genius.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hola

I don't understand why they need to save the recording onto a website. You can play your recordings via your website, and you cna askt eh students to do it, but if you want them to SAVE it on your website they will have access to all your files because they will need a password. You could try creating a separate account for each member but it doesn't seem feasible.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.k.

I will rephrase my question. I want a plug in, activex control or something that allow my visitors to do this:
    1.Listen to audio either streaming or with an applet *(I know how to do this).
    2.Then after they listen, play a record button in a multemedia control directly attached in the website and record their own voices comparing their voice with the voice of the native instructor and if it's possible something like a wavechart that let them know how are they doing, if they are pronuncing correctly or not.

The multimedia players have the stop, play, pause buttons, but do not have the record buttons, is there anyone that has record button or record features.???

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR HELP IF YOU NEED MORE DETAILS ABOUT WHAT I NEED. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    A.G.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..that is really complex. I can't provid you more information as I'm unfortunately not well-versed in this area.

Sorry. Maybe someone here could help?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by agsaintgeours
    O.k.

I will rephrase my question. I want a plug in, activex control or something that allow my visitors to do this:
    1.Listen to audio either streaming or with an applet *(I know how to do this).
    2.Then after they listen, play a record button in a multemedia control directly attached in the website and record their own voices comparing their voice with the voice of the native instructor and if it's possible something like a wavechart that let them know how are they doing, if they are pronuncing correctly or not.

The multimedia players have the stop, play, pause buttons, but do not have the record buttons, is there anyone that has record button or record features.???

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR HELP IF YOU NEED MORE DETAILS ABOUT WHAT I NEED. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    A.G.
    This is far more complex that most people would actually realise.

You would need to get an experienced Java programmer in order to accomplish the above, as none of the web languages in today's age can do what you want. You would need an extraordinarily powerful language capable of handling such requests and Java or C++ would probably handle it.

I can also envisage this being done in Flash, but again you'd need someone who was very, very good at it.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the playing of sound files (streaming) is really easy in flash, but I cannot come up with a way to actually record sound from within flash...as BC sid, you'll probably need a pretty advanced activeXcontrol or applet that records sound.

I've just asked a college of mine and he sais it's possible to write an applet that downloads the example file and records a new sound file. In fact he still has source code for doing this I'm not sure about the comparison though...will it be enough to actually hear them right after each other, because I'm not sure the comparison of the actual wave will give the wanted result...high and low (femal/male/young/old) will already have a lot of differences, so comparison may become impossible.

Also sound is (in uncompressed formats as WAV) pretty heavy for webapplications...are you sure your audience will be prepared to cope with loading times. And will the added value of being able to compare voices be large enough to carry the costs?

If you have a budget to create this (this won't be free) drop me an email, and I'm pretty sure we'll be able to help you out.