SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What's with rep?

I just gave someone rep in the PHP forum, then tried to give someone else rep and got this message:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to <username> again."

When I click on someone elses rep icon the form pops up as usual. It's like the system thinks these two people are the same person or something.

--ed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's strange. Are you sure you haven't given that person (that pops up the message) rep recently? Not too sure how many others you need to give rep to before you can give back to the same person gain. Think it's about 10.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    That's strange. Are you sure you haven't given that person (that pops up the message) rep recently? Not too sure how many others you need to give rep to before you can give back to the same person gain. Think it's about 10.
    Oh.. That's probably it. I thought you just couldn't give rep to the same person twice in a row.

--ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you have to spread it around a lot... like 10 or 20 people or something.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Forum Support

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to give it to 20 other people before you can give it to the same person twice. You also can't give rep more then 20 times in one day.

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    You need to give it to 20 other people before you can give it to the same person twice. You also can't give rep more then 20 times in one day.
    I was aware of the 20 reps to other people thing but not th 20 per day rule, so thanks for that.

Um, I'd give you rep for this one but -- well, I haven't met rule 1 yet. I'll have to work on that.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there really a point to the rep thing? It seems to only boost "reputation" for people who are generally a positive influence around here. The people who should have a big red dot under their avatar just disable the rep feature.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by helix7
    Is there really a point to the rep thing? It seems to only boost "reputation" for people who are generally a positive influence around here. The people who should have a big red dot under their avatar just disable the rep feature.
    I'd like to think of it more as a positive indicator rather than a negative feedback mechanism. It's more like a "hey, good job" type thing. It helps people see who is theoretically helpful and nice and all of that in the forums, but it also is just fun to see a new rep point or three pop up in your My SitePoint every now and then. I think I get the most fun out of seeing that and the comments rather than the little dots under a name.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by helix7
    Yeah, it becomes rather useless since people are allowed to disable it. At the very least, it should default to enabled (last I knew, it defaulted to disabled). Though what lo0ol said is true, I think it should be used as a full blown karma system, where people can see when someone did good, and when someone did bad. Unfortunately it's only one way at the moment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd also like to see it opened up forum-wide, but that probably is unlikely at this stage in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    I'd like to think of it more as a positive indicator rather than a negative feedback mechanism.
    Unfortunately though, there are at least a few people around here who use it for a negative feedback mechanism. That part sucks. Like the one post that I got negative rep from two people for. Still don't know why I got that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There unfortunately is the random negative stuff, but usually the positive makes up for it. Negative rep is halved anyway. As I've said many times before it would be nice to just do away with negative rep all together, but here we still are.

Still, I think the positives of the system far outweigh the negatives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    There unfortunately is the random negative stuff, but usually the positive makes up for it. Negative rep is halved anyway. As I've said many times before it would be nice to just do away with negative rep all together, but here we still are.

Still, I think the positives of the system far outweigh the negatives.
    I don't know... Sometimes I wish there was a SPF bad guy, with five red dots under his avatar. The kind of guy you would fear and respect at the same time.

Positive rep states the obvious: "you're a helpful, nice and community-oriented person". Neg rep doesn't help (unless the message attached to the rep would be very descriptive). It's better to post (or PM) to let a member know that you found something problematic in his/her post. People should have a way to explain themselves... Explanations usually end up in a positive rep gift.

Last edited by duuudie; Feb 11, 2005 at 16:59. Reason: typo

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the system is just fine as a just-positive kind of thing. I try to never give negative feedback to anyone in any case (in real life or on sitepoint), since it more or less always puts people on the defensive, solving nothing. Anyone who's read the old famous book "How to win friends and influence people" (which I strongly, strongly recommend) knows this well. The saying "If you don't have anything to say, don't say it at all" holds a lot of truth.

Anywat, the biggest problem with the system is that the spread-around limit is too overzealous. It seems that every time I try to give someone rep, I get the silly "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to <username> again.". It should be set to 3 or something, in my opinion.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duuudie
    It's better to post (or PM) to let a member know that you found something problematic in his/her post. People should have a way to explain themselves... Explanations usually end up in a positive rep gift.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I don't know which bothers me worse, the negative rep from two people for the same post or not knowing why they think I gave a stupid answer to a member's question. At least, I think that's why they did it. No one ever signs their name to negative rep. I feel like the victim of a drive-by shooting.

I would like to learn from my mistakes, but all I got from that experience is negative feelings. What kind of community spirit is there in that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    the biggest problem with the system is that the spread-around limit is too overzealous. It seems that every time I try to give someone rep, I get the silly "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to <username> again.". It should be set to 3 or something, in my opinion.
    I don't know if I'd make it that low before you could give the same person rep again, but 20 is way too high. I've run into the same thing you're talking about though, and I find it very frustrating.

Seems to me like SPF has a pretty effective safeguard in place against abuse of the system by restricting the giving of rep to 20 per day, so why not lower the limit before we can give the same person rep again? Makes sense to me.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie
    I don't know if I'd make it that low before you could give the same person rep again, but 20 is way too high. I've run into the same thing you're talking about though, and I find it very frustrating.
    Yeah, eitehr lower that, or let it time out over time. I.e. I have not given jeremy rep for several months, but I still get the annoying message.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, eitehr lower that, or let it time out over time. I.e. I have not given jeremy rep for several months, but I still get the annoying message.
    Yeah, I can't give rep to stymiee (despite his many good posts I read a day) but it's been a long time, since I don't spread very much. I guess that's why they a time out would be perfect (maybe 2 weeks?), except then people might never spread rep to more than 1 or 2 people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I don't know which bothers me worse, the negative rep from two people for the same post or not knowing why they think I gave a stupid answer to a member's question. At least, I think that's why they did it. No one ever signs their name to negative rep. I feel like the victim of a drive-by shooting.

I would like to learn from my mistakes, but all I got from that experience is negative feelings. What kind of community spirit is there in that?
    I agree. I don't mind getting blank rep that's positive, but if I get negative rep it would be nice to at least hear the other perspective on the issue. I just think rep works a whole lot better as a positive thing.

I think a max of 3 might be pushing it a little, but something like 10 would be a bit more reasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... the biggest problem with the system is that the spread-around limit is too overzealous. It seems that every time I try to give someone rep, I get the silly "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to <username> again.". It should be set to 3 or something, in my opinion.
    I agree. I can see how a high limit prevents people from bombarding someone they don't like with tons of negatives, but as we already know, people who might have tons of negatives aren't turning the rep feature on anyway. A lower limit would also make it possible for people to reach some of those really high rep-count benchmarks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also goes both ways though- a limit (of some sort) prevents people from repping other people over and over again- say if persons A and B join up and have a repfest together. A limit theoretically helps deters that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mattias: As far as I know, there are no ways to set a time out option before giving rep again to a given member. However, vBulletin easily allows the admin to modifiy the "Reputation User Spread" option.

vBulletin Options > User Reputation Options > Reputation User Spread

just in case...
    Last edited by duuudie; Feb 11, 2005 at 17:00. Reason: my english gets bad when I'm tired... :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think we could start a petition or poll or something and persuade the powers that be to lower the rep limit to 10? I could go for that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think we could start a petition or poll or something and persuade the powers that be to lower the rep limit to 10? I could go for that.
    Sure, why not. Can't hurt to find out what other members thinks of everything.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233361