SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

newbye, what i need for my site

Hi guys

Well, i am programming, creating programs and games, and i was thinking, what things do i need for my site?

you can see my temp site Here

i have seen that i need a host that offers good bandwith and hosting space.
    can you give me some tips about what i might need to make my site interesting (etc. what language i need to use) my site is actually created ONLY in html and i created it by searching the internet for html tutorials and this is what i got.

I am currently programming in C# so i was thinking on using that

Another question, what is MySql/Sql? i have used it one time, but still don't know what it is and what it is used for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can get a better design, can get free templates over the net

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackman890
    Another question, what is MySql/Sql? i have used it one time, but still don't know what it is and what it is used for.
    mySQL is a type of database. It is used to store information which can be used on your website using a dynamic page.

SitePoint Enthusiast silver trophy tenfourstudios's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would reccomend you learn CSS first and foremost. Once you can create and layout sites in CSS you will be a pro. Also just for the record I think MySQL is a database for UNIX servers and SQL is for Windows servers. I don't however know if they are coded differently. Good Luck.
    tenfourstudios. : visual. elegance.

SitePoint Enthusiast kamakaze03's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tenfourstudios
    I would reccomend you learn CSS first and foremost. Once you can create and layout sites in CSS you will be a pro. Also just for the record I think MySQL is a database for UNIX servers and SQL is for Windows servers. I don't however know if they are coded differently. Good Luck.

Actually, for the record SQL refers to the language itself whereas MSSQL is the Microsoft version for windows and MySQL is the version for Unix/Linux but will run in the Windows enviornment also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

I would reccomend you learn CSS first and foremost. Once you can create and layout sites in CSS you will be a pro.
    hmm... maybe i will do that

i just need to find a good book about CSS and learn. (actually this is the first time i ever hear the web language CSS what is it like?)

mySQL is a type of database. It is used to store information which can be used on your website using a dynamic page.
    Also just for the record I think MySQL is a database for UNIX servers and SQL is for Windows servers. I don't however know if they are coded differently. Good Luck.
    So is it recommended that i use MySQL in my site? do you recomennd me to use MySQL in my site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I recommend a white or light colored background for your website. There has been studys that show that this is received best by visitors. (Although I don't remember where I read it.)

Teresa
    Come See What We Have To Offer! Custom Design or Sitebuilder
    Secure Shopping Cart, Merchant Accounts
    Marketing Resources, Hosting Reseller Opportunity...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.westciv.com/

They have software that is like a WYSIWYG css editor start with that... CSS great tool to learn.
    Gunwallet.com- Digitally backup vital gun information.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first you want to showcase your work in an organised manner
    second if you want a web designer to do ure donkey-work for you, send me a pm of what u want, in detail, for your site
    if it seems simple enough, i'll consider doing it for free (we webbies have2 get each other's back now don't we?) ill put a link or sumthing on ure site as payment, or mebbe we'll do a service trade down the line
    (mind you, i don't do this usually, don't ne1 expect it again!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.D
    first you want to showcase your work in an organised manner
    second if you want a web designer to do ure donkey-work for you, send me a pm of what u want, in detail, for your site
    if it seems simple enough, i'll consider doing it for free (we webbies have2 get each other's back now don't we?) ill put a link or sumthing on ure site as payment, or mebbe we'll do a service trade down the line
    (mind you, i don't do this usually, don't ne1 expect it again!)
    well, i would prefer to learn myself
    my future plans is in a need for me to learn to create Websites

i already took a book from the lybrary we have here, it's 'Teach youself XML in 24 hours'

Thanks for offer, maybe you can help me on something i can't do, and what i want to do i will keep in touch

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    delighted to hear it, i reccommend the "In easy steps" series for self-teaching purposes but i believe "in 24 hours" is fairly good too (mind you, most people don't really master those concepts in that time)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

I will start working as hard as i can, when i can get my computer-table.
    Well, i'm off getting me a comp-table and start learning.

EDIT

i was thinking on getting me a good editor, but then i found Accella

if you recomennd me some other program, then please let me know, i have to know what program i am going to use befour i buy anything.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackman890
    So is it recommended that i use MySQL in my site? do you recomennd me to use MySQL in my site?
    This depends upon whether or not you need to store any content in a database. A good example of this would be for any news items that you would want to change often. You could store this content in a MySQL database and you would use a scripting language such as PHP to create a dynamic page that pulls data from the database and displays it on the web page. I'm not so sure that your current site would benefit much from a MySQL database back-end though and it might be a good idea to try and stay focused on one step (design/HTML/CSS) at a time!

Also, just to clarify, as a previous poster stated, SQL is actually a scripting language that allows applications to interface with database data. MySQL is a (free) database program (often associated but not limited to Linux / PHP environments). Microsoft (MS) SQL Server is a competing database product that is much more expensive and only found in Windows Server hosting environments.

Corey