SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Shut it down or leave it on?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shut It Down! (the baby needs to rest)

18 42.86%
  • Keep It On!

24 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shutdown Or Keep it ON?

Do you shutdown your computer from time to time or you the kind of people that forgot where their "ShutDown" button is located (like me...) ? just wondering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should... But I dont.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hibernate. Technically, that is shutting it down. But logically, it is just a type of suspend mode.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, I'm on it all the time! When would I shut it down?

Seriously though, I pretty much leave mine on all the time and just do an occasional reboot when a Windows machine starts getting flakey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I keep my baby iBook on all the time, sleeping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep it on, letting it hibernate and rebooting periodically.

It's actually harder on your computer to turn it off and turn it back on frequently... among other things, the circuit boards have lots of little parts and silver solder points that get hot while the computer is on, and cool down once the computer is turned off. They go through quite a bit of shock everytime the computer is turned on, and over time this can wear them out.

Setting your computer to hibernate is just as good as turning it off, without the extra wear and tear.
    Danielion
    Imagine a world without hypothetical scenarios...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Synaesthesiac
    Setting your computer to hibernate is just as good as turning it off, without the extra wear and tear.
    But surely it still gets switched off, just its state gets saved to disk (iirc)? So the parts still cool down/heat up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse
    But surely it still gets switched off, just its state gets saved to disk (iirc)? So the parts still cool down/heat up?
    Yes, you are right... I think I meant "stand-by" rather than hibernation. I'm obviously no computer expert
    Danielion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im on 24/7!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave my laptop on most of the day when im not at college, with the battery out, as im in and out and on and off it, so is my family. If i had a (quiet) desktop it would be on 24/7, at night it would be downloading and/or running things like SETI or folding@home.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at it from a mechanical point of view (ex-grease monkey) ..... the more ANY piece of electrical equipment is used (or on) the shorter its lifespan...

Now years a go I remember a test that was done with several windows machines that showed exactly how long you could let one run before it went totally SNAFU but that was in the days of win98 (oh god what a horrid thing) ..... I dont know if it still applies but I always shut ALL of my machines down every night ... only thing that keeps running is the Linux server (cant shut that down)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    I look at it from a mechanical point of view (ex-grease monkey) ..... the more ANY piece of electrical equipment is used (or on) the shorter its lifespan...

Now years a go I remember a test that was done with several windows machines that showed exactly how long you could let one run before it went totally SNAFU but that was in the days of win98 (oh god what a horrid thing) ..... I dont know if it still applies but I always shut ALL of my machines down every night ... only thing that keeps running is the Linux server (cant shut that down)
    So in your opinion, shutting down your computer every night (and giving it the shock of re-starting every morning) is better than just leaving it running and rebooting regularly?

If that's the case, I can use the break on my electric bill.
    Danielion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave it a running. Shut down when it spazzes.
    Gunwallet.com- Digitally backup vital gun information.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Synaesthesiac
    If that's the case, I can use the break on my electric bill.
    well, the amount of energy consumed by a computer is miniscule unless your using a mainframe, turn off your monitor(my case) and its like leaving a lightbulb on all the time... now how much would that really add to your electricity bill?

I always have about 4 computers running, wether I'm here or not, however, they are locked down and inaccessible to anyone bu me

Quote Originally Posted by dc_dalton
    I'm afraid to say, that is absolutely wrong, consider your fridge, do you ever turn it off? that doesn't shorter its lifespan at all! one of my computers has been on for about 2 years from now, I have shut it down only once, when I was on vacation, but I regularily reboot it from time to time, but that didn't shorter my computer's lifespan, know what I mean?

-firstbase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at it, as a $ problem, so I shut it down when I go to sleep
    oi!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only ever shut down if the buggers playing up and to reconfigure ram. The reason I leave it on permenatly is that I pull down antiviral updates at 2.30 am and run a sweep at 3am every night, Adaware runs after this and then my backups run at about 5am

Being a network manager I knowthe importance of the three proecedures above.
    I also run a windows update server localy using SUS to update mine and the kids PC's

Kli
    It's not how long you live that counts but how you live

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, isnt that a bit overkill to have a server for updates for a few machines? Why not just use automatic updates on the machines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave mine on. AVG runs/updates every morning at 2:00-3:00.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let my machine hibernate when I'm asleep, at school, or on a trip, and leave it on the rest of the time.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbase
    I'm afraid to say, that is absolutely wrong, consider your fridge, do you ever turn it off? that doesn't shorter its lifespan at all! one of my computers has been on for about 2 years from now, I have shut it down only once, when I was on vacation, but I regularily reboot it from time to time, but that didn't shorter my computer's lifespan, know what I mean?

-firstbase
    Yes but a refridgerator is MADE to run 24/7 and has a certain lifespan of its own.... I ask this question:

Do you leave your TV, stereo or other such appliance on all the time?

As I said and again, my opinion (that is what polls are for right) is that any electrical device has a certain lifespan (based on hours of usage)...... but I look at this and say "OK, lifespan is X amount of hours, days, years, whatever of USE)"

Now the more I use it the shorter that lifespan becomes in REAL time ..... not in lifespan. Yes you will get the same X amount of hours out of the product but you will not get the same amount of overall time out of it....... If I NEVER use it it will "technically" last forever

So if a products lifespan is 1000 hours (just a number) ........ and I use it for 10 hours a day I get 100 days use. If I leave it on 24/7 I get approx. 42 days use......... thats how I look at it.

Hope that makes sense and again JUST my humble opinion..

Im also VERY curious what the parts manufacturers say about this!

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I'll be away for more than a couple hours (like when I'm sleeping), I'll do a full shut down.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, a full shut down. i'm scared it'll overheat and catch fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but a refridgerator is MADE to run 24/7 and has a certain lifespan of its own.... I ask this question:

Your computer is made to run 24/7 for its lifespan of 3-5 years. Technically, you should only shut down your computer if it will not be used for a prolonged period of time. In reality your computer will become obsolete in 3-5 years so it really doesn't matter what you do.

And yes my stereo is on 24/7 in standby mode.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said and again, my opinion (that is what polls are for right) is that any electrical device has a certain lifespan (based on hours of usage)...... but I look at this and say "OK, lifespan is X amount of hours, days, years, whatever of USE)"

Now the more I use it the shorter that lifespan becomes in REAL time ..... not in lifespan. Yes you will get the same X amount of hours out of the product but you will not get the same amount of overall time out of it....... If I NEVER use it it will "technically" last forever

So if a products lifespan is 1000 hours (just a number) ........ and I use it for 10 hours a day I get 100 days use. If I leave it on 24/7 I get approx. 42 days use......... thats how I look at it.

Hope that makes sense and again JUST my humble opinion..

Im also VERY curious what the parts manufacturers say about this!
    well, as a hardware expert (with experience with over 4 years), I must tell you that again, you are wrong, I don't want to turn this into some kind of heated discussion, but you are, indeed, wrong, I never shutdown my stereo, its always turned on in radio mode, but let's forget the stereo example, let's take a webserver example, this site (sitepoint), is hosted on a certain server, that server never gets turned off, cause if it does, the site will experience down time (which will get all the members complaining ) so practically, the host never turns off the server, that wouldn't shorter its lifespan at all, this would also save it from possible electric shocks on boot, which would make it much, much safer, and about that fridge example, it is, indded designed to run 24/7, but why would a fridge be designed that way and not a computer? since it is possible for it to be designed that way, why wouldn't everything that runs on something we'd like to call electricity be designed that way? did you ever try to ask yourself this question?

Let's take a third example, each and every company, never turns off its computers nor its servers, cause you know what they say, tomorrow is just another day, so rebooting the whole network of computers daily would be really stupid rather than time wasting, especially companies with over 300 computers, I mean, imagine, that a certain company, would have to boot 300+ computers daily, how stupid would that be? so, let's get back to the point, leaving your computer 24/7 wouldn't shorter its lifespan at all...

-firstbase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Werent computers orignally mainframes and then 'servers', designed to be left on all the time? Only later they evolved into desktop computers..

A company i know booted 200 computers at exactly the same time, something tripped (the fuse?) and all the electricity went off