1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That middle-click thing is kinda tacky though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like symptoms of the "Nothing else to blog about" syndrome...

SitePoint Evangelist adesignrsa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a whiner...
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Forget the whiner

forget the whiner...i just tried the middle click and was blown away! how did sitepoint get their logo to appear...? does anyone know?...thats so so so way cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol...

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical
    forget the whiner...i just tried the middle click and was blown away! how did sitepoint get their logo to appear...? does anyone know?...thats so so so way cool!
    http://www.sitepoint.com/blog-post-view.php?id=225620

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually agree with him about the popup. If I have a popup blocker enabled it means I don't want websites opening new windows. Why does Sitepoint think it's ok to circumvent this? I love Sitepoint, but this really ticks me off.

I don't see any problem with the autoscroll logo. It's pretty sweet!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westech
    I actually agree with him about the popup. If I have a popup blocker enabled it means I don't want websites opening new windows. Why does Sitepoint think it's ok to circumvent this? I love Sitepoint, but this really ticks me off
    Advertising, ever heard of it? It's intender for new-comers I'm sure, but considering how many other sites have pop-up ads, don't you think it's a little ridiculous picking on SPF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not like it's pr0n either... It's an ad for one of site points products... This is one of the biggest forums on the net and I get to sit my happy *** down and use it for free... I'll take a popup over a pay membership anyday... Funny that...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a strong advocate of a site's right to advertise to it's visitors. I do it on my sites, and I'm sure almost everyone else here does as well.

I think that "in-content" ads (banner ads, etc. that are on the same page as the content the user is viewing) are fine. What I have a problem with is ads that "take over" in some way that the user doesn't want, such as opening a new browser window. If the user specifically configures their browser to block popups, I don't think a site should try to circumvent that and display popup ads against a user's wishes.

Sure other sites have popups. And other sites have implemented work arounds to make popups display even if the visitor has a popup blocker. My point is that I would expect better of Sitepoint. In my opinion they should know better and set a better example.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hardly ever visit the main site or the blogs anymore because of the popup. For someone that routinely clears their cache it gets annoying to see it all the time.

The only time is if I see an interesting discussion here in the forum and like the blog poster, I don't click on any links. Never saw the little icon because I simply roll my mouse wheel to scroll and never click it.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That popup really does annoy me too. I think I blocked it with adblock though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    I hardly ever visit the main site or the blogs anymore because of the popup.
    This is somewhat getting off topic, but I hardly visit the main site anymore. I get the feeds, but tbh I'm finding the articles less and less interesting nowadays. :\ The blogs are worthwhile, though. And everyone knows the Forums are where it's at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with mstwntd... it probably wasn't worth an entry, but was it worth a thread? I mean, what's your point stymie??? I only see a link to someone else's blog... Do you expect people to talk about that pop up issue or are you just pointing to the 'ugly duck' who doesn't like a detail of our beloved community?

It was highly predictable, regarding the lack of precisions in your first post, that someone would call that guy a whiner yadda yadda... it somehow almost seems that it was your point. Does the guy even know about this thread? I haven't seen you posting a little something in the comments section of his blog to ask him to join the party...

With all due respect, I don't get what you expect from this thread and I detect some kind of negative vibes in your original post (no comments, no question, just the link).

I just took the time to post this to say that I don't think this thread, initiated by staff member, does any good to the community. It's obviously not the end of the world though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duuudie
    I agree with mstwntd... it probably wasn't worth an entry, but was it worth a thread? I mean, what's your point stymie??? I only see a link to someone else's blog... Do you expect people to talk about that pop up issue or are you just pointing to the 'ugly duck' who doesn't like a detail of our beloved community?

It was highly predictable, regarding the lack of precisions in your first post, that someone would call that guy a whiner yadda yadda... it somehow almost seems that it was your point. Does the guy even know about this thread? I haven't seen you posting a little something in the comments section of his blog to ask him to join the party...

With all due respect, I don't get what you expect from this thread and I detect some kind of negative vibes in your original post (no comments, no question, just the link).

I just took the time to post this to say that I don't think this thread, initiated by staff member, does any good to the community. It's obviously not the end of the world though.

Erm... I'm a bit confused myself. All stymiee did was post a link? I thought it was interesting to see what others thought of the new image-looking thing.

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minor correction, duuudie. Stymiee is not SP (or SPF) staff, but a volunteer. I was corrected myself recently on just such an error.

Regarding this whole thread: Is it ok to bash a site that bypasses pop-up blockers, only if that site isn't SitePoint? What happened to the righteous indignation of this thread?

I don't care if your site wants to show me a map to a sunken Gallion with 10,000 gold coins in its cargo hold--if it's in a popup, I don't want to see it.
    I love SitePoint myself, but I'm afraid I'm on the side of the blogger on this one.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for worrying about my feelings duuudie, but it's been a long long time since I worried about being called a whiner, or being accused of saying things just to hear my gums rattle by someone who manages to find 3800 valuable and on-topic things that must be said over the course of just one year.

Yes, I know about this thread: scroll down below my comments form, and you'll see that I know roughly how many people have seen it and bothered to click through without blocking referrers, and much more roughly (thanks to RSS) how many people in my actual target audience at planet.mozilla.org saw it: the real point of my post was to say "Hey, Blake, your autoscroll-in-the-DOM is now being hacked at in the wild."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really sure what the whole problem is anyway. It's just blogging. I personally like the middle click thing, but I find it interesting to see what other people think of it. I personally don't mind the popup, but it's something that I realize doesn't go over too well with other people. Et cetera.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry for my late reply.

I just posted this as an FYI for those who were not aware of it. Of course I was hoping for discussion as well which I obviously got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    Erm... I'm a bit confused myself. All stymiee did was post a link? I thought it was interesting to see what others thought of the new image-looking thing.
    ... which was made very clear by the title of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Sorry for my late reply.

I just posted this as an FYI for those who were not aware of it. Of course I was hoping for discussion as well which I obviously got.
    fair enough

I knew it couldn't be that kind of "look at the evil" thread coming from you

I am still not sure about what you want to discuss though. The fact that someone can be annoyed by SP? The pop up? the DOM trick? You first post was so descriptive... Not to talk about your thread title... lol.... Sorry, i'm just teasing you

Anyway, I'll pick up one of these. I don't like the pop up either. When a user choses to block pop ups, he/she shouldn't have to close pop ups. Pretty simple huh? But my cursor is like a sword, so I'm actually well protected.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my post probably could have said more.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually don't post in this forum but the thread title was so catchy :err:

I think you all missed the point. Stymiee is in the Grow and Manage Team. He just did his job. He got one new member registering and posting (see post #18). Good job mate

Sorry for being sarcastic but there is something quite unpleasant in this first post. Am I off-topicing? Well... No. This thread is about a guy who was annoyed by SP and I talked about him. After all, you still didn't tell us what about was the discussion supposed to be........

I wish there were more topics like this one. It's great for this board's reputation.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, man. Posted a comment. That's pretty funny. The popup does get irritating though. Perhaps if they tied it with the forum login, then I'd be fine with it, but it seems that every once in a while it pops up, without me clearing anything (I mean, I'm still logged in to SPF, but the popup comes back). Using public computers is a pain too...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was any other site, and there were a thread about it, people would be deriding the site owner for taking over the browser, etc, etc, etc. Others would say "leave if you don't like it" and the thread would die.

But, because it's SitePoint it gets a few thumbs up, insults to the person who "needlessly" posted about it, etc?

Give me a break.

I can take over the right click menu too, every left click, make sure you are always clicking on an ad when you click, etc. I mean, it's all good, right? My right as an advertiser to do what I want?

I remember a massive CSS thread here from a few years back where for 10-20 pages people whined about companies changing the colour of the scrollbar.

SitePoint's popups have always been annoying and, like Wayne, it's one of the key reasons I don't go to the site. I was sub'd to the feeds for a few months, but the blog posts were so infrequent it wasn't even funny (less than 1 a day across half a dozen blogs? Wow), and the articles had no fresh pull.

Also, I think this is the first time I've ever heard Phil called a "whiner" I'll have to remember that one
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright