SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: DTDs

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In putting in a DOCTYPE declaration, I know I need transitional for most of my pages, but I've seen some that specify HTML 4.0 and others that say 4.1. Can anyone tell me the implications of using one of these rather than the other? Also, for the one site that uses frames, would that be 4.0 or 4.1, and would the frames DTD cover all the other transitional elements, such as fonts, etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi psalzer,

give me a few minutes while I'm writing my answer

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. Take your time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some that specify HTML 4.0 and others that say 4.1
    I guess you refer HTML 4.01 (that's the last version of HTML)

HTML 4.01 fixes some bugs found on the HTML 4, roughly speaking is an update to clarify the definition of some attributes, and include some attributes to backwards compatibility (for example now "name" attribute in IMG is valid in HTML 4.01), etc. (You can see the whole changes between both version in the w3's HTML Appendix A )

I wouldn't worry to much using HTML 4.0 or HTML 4.01 DTD because current browsers do not support some of the new attributes in HTML 4 (as far I know) and now HTML is replaced by XHTML 1.1.

XHTML 1.1 is a complete reformulation of HTML with new rules and I guess future browsers will implement it. If you want to view the XHTML recommendations you can check also w3 site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to you have to use frames in your pages you have to use the DTD

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">

which is a variant of HTML transitional.
    Just replace the BODY tag with FRAMESET.

Paul

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much. I've started looking at xhtml, but I have several sites which aren't compliant with anything anymore. I mean, they all work fine, but they're not standards compliant, even though they work better in more different browsers than the results of my attempts to create something that abides by current rules. (They used to be just fine, but I'm not bitter - ok, I'm a little bitter).

I can't see having time for a long, long time to recode every page on every one of them, if ever. So, the only thing I can come up with is to go the transitional route and hope that works out while I get one page at a time fixed up, over a looong stretch of time and when I have time. I'm just concerned that there are pitfalls to even declaring that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you concern is the errors in your code you can check it with the online w3's validator for HTML.