SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've released version 1.22 of my Open Source PHP / mySQL links script:
    ssLinks is an open source PHP and mySQL powered links database which allows users to run a database driven categorised links section on a web site - similar in structure to Yahoo or any other categorised links collection.
    Features Include:
    • Fully database driven utilising mySQL.
    • Full template system allowing you to control the HTML output of the script without needing to alter any of the PHP code.
    • Easily customisable if you wish to alter the script in any way.
    • Very easy to admin via the web - log in and add / edit categories and links.
    • Visitors to your site can recommend new links, which you can then validate.
    • Allows visitors to rate your links from 1-10, and displays average rating.
    • Rating a link more than once is discouraged using cookies.
    • Number of hits each link has received is recorded and displayed.
    • Very easy to set up and use, thanks to an installation script and config file.
    • Built in Search Feature.
    • Most popular, top rated and newest links pages.
    • It's Open Sourced under the GPL :o)
    For more information plus the all important download head over to:

www.sslinks.co.uk

I'm very keen to hear feedback on the script, especially links to live sites that use it. A live demo of the script is available on the site.

Cheers,

Skunk
    Last edited by Skunk; May 12, 2001 at 11:17.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about adding a feature that when they suggest a link they also must put a reciporcal link on their site. So it would have a field that says reciporcal link ________

Anyway that can be added?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean. It's easy enough to alter the templates so that people are asked to add a link from their site to your site on the "Submit a link" page - you could provide the HTML code for them to do that as well. I don't see how they could fill in a "reciprocal link" field though - what kind of information would you want them to provide?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what i'm looking for is when someone adds a link to my site they must put a link on their site in exchange.

Example say you come to my site and add your link in my database. You must provide the url of where you are putting a link on your site for mine.

Basically both sites are exchanging links instead of sites just being able to add their link to my site and not adding my site's link to theirs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I supose matrix means having a field where the user types the url of the page where he has the link at, and the program checks if the code is there (exactly like they were asked to put it on their sites - couldn't be changed, like to remove the <a href> or put a width=1 height=1, or something like that). Or maybe he doesn't mean that, and I'm just making a big confusion here
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša
    RailsHelp.com: Searchable Rails reference
    CACA: Committee for the Annihilation of Complicated Acronyms

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yeah that's what I mean kinda. It doesnt really need to go and check their site for you to see if they put a link where they said they would but that would be a nice feature.

I just want them to have to put a link on their site in exchange for adding theirs on mine. So there would need to be a field that said reciporcal link and in that field they put the html link of where my sites link will be on their page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking external pages for link code is something of a black art. You need to check that they haven't hid the code in a comment tag, and then you need to check they haven't stuck it on a div layer and made it invisible...

Any link someone recommends using ssLinks will go into a "holding queue" behind the scenes. It won't be added to the site until a site administrator validates the link. As a result you could easily add a reciprocal link scheme just by altering the "submit a link" page to say "you must have the following code on your site" and then only validating links that conform.