SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,
    i think that for a protal site, the "main" feature it should contain would be the news, from around the world, into categories. I know moreovers , ....... which helps you putting news on your site. But there's a problem with them. i would like my site to show the news on "my" site. That means that when the user click (for exemple) " Bill Gates is out of money...." (a news title), he gets to the news article which SHOULd be on my page. For moreover, the news article is on another page, "their" page, which is not very ..good... . I mean it breaks your design, and it's the same as if your going out of the original site!. Sites like Masti, or alloy, or teen.com ,....... how do they get all those news from ?, even if there is a "powered by news-server" , but the news itself shouldn't go out of my site!. Don't tell me that for masti or alloy, they update the news themselves!!!, s- hit , that would be BIg work, updating them each day, for 50 + pages! Does it work with a script?, please help, i really need some fresh news for my site!, which shows the article news on my site!,
    thanx for your attention, please leave a reply

Brain, Ah sorry, Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't want to use syndicated content from sites like MoreOver, you have to deal with the issue of producing your own content. I hope that was what you were thinking, it's illegal to copy news stories and put them on your web page. Did you want more info on producing your own content or were you thinking of using news storys from say, the AP, on your site, within your design?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cna't display news content on your site without you yourself gathering the content.

however, the easier workaround would be to grab the news headlines using a backend and display it on your site. do know that the link to the full article willll be on the original site.

yo could also collaborate with another site which offer their own news content.

all the best in your portal.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, parntering up with another site is a good option, You can share the bulk of the work and also the bulk of the profits. I have been thinking about doing this for a while for my Gibraltar site. You can use PHP and mySQL quite successfully to share content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey nicky. whats your content? (trying my bets not to OT)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does OT mean?

Content wise, I have tons of info I have yet to put up on the site:

~info about all local attractions
    ~geneology info about Gibraltarian surnames
    ~history of Gibraltar divided up in to geography, street names, culture etc
    ~political information

Basically the site has two target groups, tourists and Gibraltarians who live abroad.

I have a newsletter which has been running nearly two years and contains local news snippets. Obviously this is of mroe interest to peopel who DO NOT ive in Gib as they know what is going on anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah..bleah! doens't fit...opps
    OT = off topic./ hhaah i also just learnt it! (picking up the ropes of abbreviations?)
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you mean that masti and alloy ,....... produce their own content ???

Do ya know any news grabber? (sorry if it's illegal ),

PLEASE,
    Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Koolbrain, I understand that you need to get this sorted and we are all willing to try and help you, but please do not request help for anything that is not legal or moral as we do not want the forums to be a breeding ground for that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thank nicky for her trust to me by considering my statement of "illegal" , but "I" said it was illegal,
    in fact, after thinking some time, i think it's legal!,
    isn't it?

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In most cases it is a breach of copyright laws.

If you reproduce any content or design from somebody else, in whole or in part, then this is covered by copyright law.

Copyright law states that this is illegal unless the use of the material comes under "acceptable use", or the last owner of the rights to the work has been dead for more than 50 years.

Examples of acceptable use include:
    - Use with permission.
    - Use where the owner has declared the work available in that particular way.
    - Use for education purposes (eg for teachers or lecturers), only viewable by students in an education setting.
    - Use of a small section for purpose of review.

Acceptable use does NOT include:
    - Paraphrasing or the changing of wording or layout if the design or content is still recognisable.
    - Placing content so it appears to be part of your site, but is actually externally linked ("bandwidth theft").

If you use a news grabber, you can only use it to grab news where you abide by "acceptable use" - that is, the owner of the news has to approve of you grabbing their news.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if its legal, but consider for a second..what if someone "grabbed" your news or content for a similar site? I'm sure that would really upset you! Instead you can work with other teen webmasters to help you write articles of interest to your audience. Sites like Alloy probably have a large partnership with a news site like MoreOver or iSyndicate in order to get their news onsite.

Good luck with your site!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to have updates new integrated with the deisgn of your site, you can use services such as http://iSyndicate.com and http://newsmaker.yellowbrix.com/pages/newsmaker/

They chare a fee starting at $150 a month to have their daily news branded with your site's design.

I hope this was helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and newsmake thinks that i will give him 150 month, for putting some normal headlines on my site ?, they'r crazy or what? $1,800/year ? , but what the heck they have those guyz in their head. Only amazon or Yahoo will be able to pay that, exept some crazy one . I'm working on my own content management. Really cool!
    But anyway, thanx for your links ,
    Brian
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Im a teen webmaster myself and I've found doing your own news is definately best. Of course it's more work...but it doesn't hurt- right?

Laura
    Webmaster
    www.plusoneplanet.com
    www.tvguide.cjb.net
    Halo Promotions (Coming soon)