User Tag List

Thread: Starting out?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting out?

How did you start out making websites? I'm interested in possibly starting my own "web design" site with my portfolio,etc. and getting clients... but i dont want to create a false image as a professional web designer. I know i wont have as much experience or be as good as any of the other sites, but how do you get started in the web design area?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention i am only 16, still in high school. So what did you do during those years?

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    - Learn through tutorials for Photoshop, PHP... Learn through SPF...
    - Practice by building ur own site
    - Grow building sites for friends/relatives/ charity organisation
    - Build a nice portfolio containing your best works ...you are ready to start then

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely find whatever opportunities you can to create a website! Do sites for free and then very low cost just to build a portfolio. From there you can segway into freelance work and/or a job.

BTW, in my humble opinion, the next generation of web designers will not only be great designers, but also flash artists and have to know their way around a multitude of programming languages and databases. I would recommend playing with a scripting language (Cold Fusion is probably the easiest to learn for those of us with graphic design backgrounds) coupled with an MS Access database to learn how dynamic content works.

Good luck!

Corey

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dark Tranquility is right. First you need to have created a number of good designs which you can show to people who want a site designed. Your own site is a good start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting out with photoshop is where it begins. Making signatures, avatars, foolign around till you get good. Then you start making layouts and you realize your getting good at this, then skill just develops =\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganSheehan
    Making signatures, avatars, foolign around till you get good. Then you start making layouts and you realize your getting good at this, then skill just develops =\
    I somewhat disagree with this. A skill in what? Designing avatars, forum sigs?

Start designing for 'pretend' clients, and serious sites (not what you want, but what they would want). Web design is not about making pretty graphics, or knowing the best effects. It's about solving peoples problems. Learn to work with a given set of guidelines (even if you write them yourself).

Read up on a lot of design theory, and research, research, research. Do learn PhotoShop and Illustrator (or other equivalents), and learn how to hand-code in xhtml and css.

Like dollarwebs has said, do work for free even. IF you do a good job, they'll probably refer you to their friends.

I get most of my work from referrals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out in web design by just making websites for myself.

I would suggest building your own site and developing a portfolio.

Best Wishes,

Teresa
    Come See What We Have To Offer! Custom Design or Sitebuilder
    Secure Shopping Cart, Merchant Accounts
    Marketing Resources, Hosting Reseller Opportunity...

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    I somewhat disagree with this. A skill in what? Designing avatars, forum sigs?

Start designing for 'pretend' clients, and serious sites (not what you want, but what they would want). Web design is not about making pretty graphics, or knowing the best effects. It's about solving peoples problems. Learn to work with a given set of guidelines (even if you write them yourself).

Read up on a lot of design theory, and research, research, research. Do learn PhotoShop and Illustrator (or other equivalents), and learn how to hand-code in xhtml and css.

Like dollarwebs has said, do work for free even. IF you do a good job, they'll probably refer you to their friends.

I get most of my work from referrals.
    good point mstwntd

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info, anyone else?