SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MYSQL Backup and restore

Forgive me i am a newbie to MySQL. I have been spending a lot of time writing a database driven web site (with Kevin Yanks Book - Very Good!!!)

I Use MySQL administrator 1.0.17 to add things to the database and generally administer things on my local machine. My provider uses PHP Myadmin 2.5.2 I would like to be able to easily transfer data between the two, but the problem I am having is I perform a backup using MySQL administrator and imediatly do a restore using the same file on the windows based Administrator software and the ANALYZE Backup content window sits with No bytes on info in it. I have to use the cancel button to get out of it.

Am i doing things wrong? is there a way of setting this up to perform the backup and restore correctly?

Also is this the best way of syncronising my data? is there a better way or a better app?

Thanks

Keith

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the implementation you are doing, but if you are trying to copy a database from your computer to your web server, then the easiest thing to do would be to export your tables into a .sql file, then import the the file using phpMyAdmin.
    Reg

"I don't care how many beers you've had...
    Get your chickens out of my lawn!"

SitePoint Evangelist lance_vincent's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know somethign about mysql admionistrator. It creates a sql query right? If you open the .sql file, youll see all queries that you have entered on it, starting from creating the database and insert commands to insert all data present at the time the .sql file was created.

your problem is how are you going to separate those sql queries, since in that file, all of the queries are placed. maybe you should ask someone who know moving with txt files with php's functions. actually we share the same problem, but mine is that how can i create all those query in a text file created by php itself, not by mysql administrator.

please reply

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have adopted the 'if you cant beatem-join em' attitude. I have loaded phpMyAdmin to my local machine which gives loads of ways of backing up, copy pasting .sql files, etc, AND its portable between the two. The version of PHP that my provider uses is older but most of the commands work woth little or no other effort that copy>paste.

Administrator is good but there is nowhere (other than use the command window) to get access to pasting in text. The command window has its limitations.

Thank you Guys for taking time to reply to me. Respect!

Regards
    Keith

All the bunnies are happy in the garden once more!