SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Print magazine off the paper to web - which CMS?

Hi everyone, this will be my first post on this forum.

I am in a group developing a web version of a printed magazine. The idea is to have the same articles from the bimonthly + more updated online articles, on a web magazine sort of site.

Does anyone have suggestions for a CMS that has a lot to offer on web magazine features?

The layout for the print mag is done in inDesign, and as inDesign comes with XML compatibility, I would really like to be able to export an XML version of each article, and import the Article and Layout into a CMS, to make a web version that looks like the print version. This may be totally not feasible, but it's a nice thought.

We've been looking into Plone (http://plone.org) to use for publishing, but somehow I'm starting to reconsider whether it's very optimal to use Plone for a web mag.

Any thoughts and suggestions on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plone's pretty good - why are you reconsidering?

Although it is fairly complicated with workflow, security etc. May be a bit more than you need, and hosting - while you can get it - is not as common as PHP/MySQL.

It looks like you're after more of an "article manager" kind of system. How about some of the simpler PHP-based CMS/blogging products like Wordpress?
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've kind of gotten intimidated by the sheer pliability of plone. It just seems like you gotta do a lot of either code hacking, or "product" (module) trial and error, before you can start to get at something that actually works for you.

Also, the project to start out with, was going to combine a community of writers, photographers and editors, plus the magazine. Now it's just going to be the magazine and the community will reside elsewhere, probably based on Plone. So maybe I should go for a more light-weight approach. Movable Type is looking good, but I haven't looked into the possibility of porting articles from inDesign to the web with that yet.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the hard bit is going to be the InDesign integration. You should probably expect some code hacking whatever you go with

Having said that, for a purely publication-based kind of site I think something like MT or Wordpress is a good bet. For something more community-based/collaborative there are a few good choices out there - Plone, Mambo, Drupal, even DotNetNuke. Plone is the most powerful and complex of these, in my experience.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best CMSs you can get are custom made.

Hillsy's suggestions are good if you're looking for a non-custom-made solution, though.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best CMSs you can get are custom made.
    I do not agree.
    I think TYPO3 (www.typo3.com) can be good to this project.

The layout for the print mag is done in inDesign, and as inDesign comes with XML compatibility, I would really like to be able to export an XML version of each article, and import the Article and Layout into a CMS, to make a web version that looks like the print version. This may be totally not feasible, but it's a nice thought.
    You can import MS Word of Open Office files to TYPO3
    (I mean real import, not copy/paste with online editor)
    See example - every TYPO3 documentation was done in Open Office and then import to TYPO3:

http://typo3.org/documentation/docum...g_the_dynamic/

May be it is possible to configure import of inDesign XML files.

----
    Regards,
    Valery Romanchev
    freelance TYPO3 web-developer
    Moscow, Russia
    romanchev@list.ru