SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some guide to make a website

I had done a short course in Web Designing (I learnt Photoshop and Dreamweaver) and since I did not have much time at my disposal to pursue a full time career, I decided that I will learn further on my own and try to work from home. I made a website and uploaded it. It is trags.co.ae. Now when I go back and look at that site, I realize how bad it is. At that time, I did not know much about HTML and did not even know anything about browser compatibility etc.

I had checked with some experts who advised me to learn HTML well (he said that just knowing Dreamweaver does not help), then learn CSS, XML and atleast one server side programming language. I have gone through books and tutorials for HTML, CSS, XML and know quite a bit now. I was advised to learn Javascript as well but have not proceeded much in that. Initially, I did not consider myself the programming type but that self opinion changed when I layed my hands on the book, 'How to build a database driven website using PHP and MySQL?' by Kevin Yank. I even made a telephone directory locally on my PC wherein a person who is not a programmer can enter names, numbers and edit or delete them.

As a next step, I tried to learn Object oriented PHP but find it quite difficult to learn. Then somebody suggested that to gain some experience, I should start making small sites utilizing HTML, CSS, XML, PHP and MySQL.

My question is this? It may seem very stupid. But I really need some help. When we were in school, we used to have guide books where complex maths problems were worked out and the workings explained well. Even if we did not know a topic well, by going through various worked out problems, we used to become thorough in it. Now, I want to know if there is any guide available on website design? eg. Are there any example websites available where the webmaster has used HTML, CSS, PHP etc. and shown the code and workings he has used. Now you may tell me to look at the source code of websites. But it does not alway help me as it uses many things which just go over my head. Can anyone suggest small projects wherein I need to use what I have learnt? After having spent 2 years learning these things, I seem to have reached a dead end not knowing where to go.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

There are tons of tutorials on the internet for all of the above languages, (X)HTML, CSS, PHP, XML just search on google and you will find some great tutorials. There is also alot to be learned right here in the forms

Hope it helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnny Gulag pretty much hit it on the spot. Check out some of the articles here, and do some gooling. Good-tutorials is good for making images, and you can google some web design help :P Best of luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some really good books for this are the "Read Less, Learn More" series. They cover a lot of different programming languages and are great learning tools.

Teresa
    Come See What We Have To Offer! Custom Design or Sitebuilder
    Secure Shopping Cart, Merchant Accounts
    Marketing Resources, Hosting Reseller Opportunity...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for your opinions. Since I have already learnt quite about these languages, I was looking for some projects to work on. Is there any site which has small project built with their codes displayed as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm, depends how much knowledge you allready have. You could try looking on sourseceforge for some opensource PHP MySQL projects where hopefully you could find some smallish projects that would include code and developer guides.

To be honest the way I learnt PHO MySQL was by going through Kevins book, then attempting to make my own CMS (content management system), and whenever I came up against a problem, I would ask in these forums.
    Laws are like sausages. You have much more respect for them if you haven't actually seen how they're made.

http://www.webamoeba.co.uk

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.
    You could try looking on sourseceforge for some opensource PHP MySQL projects where hopefully you could find some smallish projects that would include code and developer guides.
    Where can you find these?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try:
    http://www.php.net/

Nadia