SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP and SQL 2000?

I've been using PHP w/ MySQL on a *nix server for years and that's really all I've taken the time to learn because it's all I've needed to develop my sites. Now, I've been presented with a high paying opportunity to develop a database driven site for a large local company. They currently are running a JSP site driven by SQL 2000. They're find moving over to PHP but are stuck on using SQL 2000 on their Win 2000 machine. So, I'm just wondering, how hard would it be to use PHP w/ an SQL 2000 database as well as learn how to interact with SQL 2000. I don't want to come across as a complete idiot to a client and there's the possibility I'll be able to charge them for the time it takes me to learn the new stuff. Are there certain questions I should be asking their IT guys? Is moving from *nix to windows difficult on a server level? Is SQL 2000 fairly easy to grasp considering I have MySQL knowledge?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    i can't comment on anything but the database part

sql server is what i would call an industrial-strength database, which means that it can be (and is, by many fortune 100 companies) used for mission-critical data

being "stuck" on sql server is the wrong adjective, it's a very sound business decision

if you know mysql, sql server will be a joy

the variant of sql used by sql server is different from that used by mysql, and you will need to convert each query by hand

however, i compare the difference in the languages to the difference between american english and british english -- different, but pretty similar
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a whol load of mssql_* functions for use with MS SQL in PHP that are similar to the mysql_* functions that you use with MySQL
    e.g. mssql_connect to connect to the MS SQL server as opposed to mysql_connect to connect to a MySQL server.
    There is lots of help in the PHP manaul - browse at your leisure