SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Should I take the plunge?

Foremost a big Hello to all sitepoint community.
    I would like to seek a few minutes of all Gurus and ofcourse all, who with all their hard work have developed/developing their space in this IPworld.

I am an A+ technician (hardware), studying elec engineering. I also have some grasp (almost intermediate level) of HTML, JAVA and C++ . I donít have much experience with websites, but i do understand a lot of terminology and how things work. I follow instructions well and can self learn from books. And

Now my question:

I am interested is starting 2 websites, one an ecommerce and other forum based with some current topic/news posts. I really need an honest opinion on this: WITH My budget of $200 and 1 MONTH target time for startup.
    1. Whether I should, buy a template hire a web developer/designer or start from scratch and try the hard way ?
    2. If I do go the self learning way (with my calibre of skills) what order of studying would you advice.
    e.g
    1. Study PHP
    2. Learn Dreamweaver.
    3. etc..

I am really confused with so many options available, i am still undecided with almost 2 weeks of reading on SP.I cant thank enough for all the immense knowledge you guys/gals pour here everyday, its much more than you can ever learn at school.

Thanks you all in advance.

P.H.D.M - Poor, Hungry, Driven & Motivated
    - Now its only me who can stop me !
    -----------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should:

Hire a web developer/designer and start as a reseller.

With your budget and time table, it would be extremely difficult to start from scratch.

I would start with the above. You can still learn additional skills (Dreamweaver, etc.) as your business grows.

Best Wishes,

Teresa
    Come See What We Have To Offer! Custom Design or Sitebuilder
    Secure Shopping Cart, Merchant Accounts
    Marketing Resources, Hosting Reseller Opportunity...

SitePoint Zealot
    next to a pc connected to the poweroutlet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a very small budget to be quite honest to get someone to create an Ecommerce site would be roughly $1000+ if you want it done properly thats not including more appealing features. However I wouldnt exactly learn PHP and go straight into building an Ecommerce System, also 1month isnt that long.

Your forum, there are a tonne of free and relatively non-expensive forums, vBulletin may seem expensive but from what ive seen its probably the best in the paid range.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know my budget is probably way too less, buts thats all i got from my savings to spend, university is a big investment nowdays . I appreciate your honest replies and was myself thinking in buying some templates, integrating with open source forum softwares and then go from there. Ecommerce can come later

Just wondering how much time it took you to create your own fully functional website? were you experienced in all the tools beforehand or just learned them as you went?

thanks,

P.H.D.M - Poor, Hungry, Driven & Motivated
    - Now its only me who can stop me !
    -----------------------------------