User Tag List

Thread: Getting Started

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Started

Alright, so I am trying to start a clan site for a MMORPG game called Roma Victor, but right now I'm kinda stuck. What is my first step? And after that? I have a friend that says he will host it, but I have hardly any clue what he means, please can you help?

Thanks for your time

-Bthizle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello... here's how I explain it to my clients:

First thing you'll need:
    A domain name. This is basically yoursite.com (or .net, .org, etc). Consider this the equivalent of your home address -- it's what people use to find your site. Aptly known also as a "web address", or technically known as a "URL" (Uniform Resource Locator).

Second thing you'll need:
    Web hosting. This is the equivalent of your house -- it is where your website "lives". Literally, web hosting consists of a server of some sort (a server is basically a special type of computer) that stores the files that make up your website -- webpages, images, stylesheets, programming, etc. -- and makes them available to view on the internet. There are tons of companies on the internet that specialize in providing this service, and you mentioned that your friend would be able to do it for you. Web hosting is usually paid for on a monthly basis, much like your rent. Seeing the analogy here?

Third thing you'll need:
    Well, this would be your website itself The website lives inside a "house" (via web hosting) at a certain address (your domain name).

In order to create your website, you will need some kind of web authoring software (such as Macromedia Dreamweaver), unless you have a skilled friend who can do it for you.

Once the website is built, it is uploaded (published) to your hosting account via "FTP" (File Transfer Protocol), which can be done using an FTP client. FTP client software is available for free in many places on the internet. Put simply, it connects to your hosting account and moves the files from your computer's harddrive to your hosting account, so they can be viewed online.

It might sound a bit confusing or overwhelming at first, so please post again if you need any help getting started!

I hope this is useful to you. Good luck!
    Danielion
    Imagine a world without hypothetical scenarios...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright man, thanks alot and I'l be sure to post again if I have any questions.