SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs111
    I think the 25 post rule is dumb. Sorry for being blunt just my opinion. I think people just go around posting a bunch of crap to get there.
    That's true, but it's still a hassle that no ones wants to have to repeat, and if a user gets banned, they know that they'll have to establish a new username and get 25 posts all over again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also makes it more difficult for contest holders and we want a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by helix7
    That's true, but it's still a hassle that no ones wants to have to repeat, and if a user gets banned, they know that they'll have to establish a new username and get 25 posts all over again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See! we do think alike

Also true

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Thanks guys - its strange as you (as in designers) asked for the 25 post rule to begin with as you felt that new contest holders were taking the mick...

anyway all good ideas - and on about the WebmasterAJ thing - someone should have told me and I would have removed his thread.

I am certainly looking taking more serious action with people not abiding by the rules, ie flaming and the such
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't find out till the end when he announced he had chosen someone else. We believed him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah

anyway all good ideas - and on about the WebmasterAJ thing - someone should have told me and I would have removed his thread.

I am certainly looking taking more serious action with people not abiding by the rules, ie flaming and the such

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh ok - felt a little daft then
    Regular user

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is the contest forum please?

Can someone direct me to the contest forum. I've been wandering around on the site for several days - ever since a friend of mine directed me here.

Thank you

Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a direct link. http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219

contest forums are under community center - Sitepoint Marketplace.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by novone
    Can someone direct me to the contest forum. I've been wandering around on the site for several days - ever since a friend of mine directed me here.

Thank you

Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

While I do agree that there is a thing as too many rules, these are certainly what makes things work.
    And when you have 5-6 rules, you can add more 2 or 3 without that being too much of a dictatorship!

For the situations I've come across; I think it's best if the little "Report Bad Post" on the left of each post is used (and not just to bother Sarah and the other mods )
    Not that I mean to give them any more work, but sometimes it's enough to have a mod post a please stay on topic/don't do that post when things start to get out of hand.

About the WebmasterAJ thread; or any other similar situation for that matter.
    It's sad not to se a "banned" below that members username. That was what I expected after participating in the thread and seeing by the result, but it was the action that was sad.
    But the rules, well ... they are just guidelines!

One thing I agree on adding to the rules is the submissions being close after a period of time, and hidden until then. I think it's a positive idea.

That could easily be accomplished maybe by limiting [ img ] tags and attachments (IN REPLYs) to be viewed only by the thread starter and the post owner until a certain amount of time has passed or maybe the contest over/thread closed?
    Both for competitive reasons and concepts safekeeping.

Post your thoughts as I am a-wandering

Sarah, I agree on dumping the 25 posts limit, but that probably would mean even more attention from mods, and I am already suggesting a less strict use of post reporting.
    But a competition shouldn't be run on another websites, that can become too confusing.
    ~ Daniel Macedo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by css
    Arguments mostly come up due to lack of governing rules. A lot of times i see people arguing over an idea or a concept. I see people upset over something they feel belongs to them when others feel that its free for all.
    Hope no one minds me going back to this discussion from css' 1st post...

This, in my opinion, is still one of the biggest problems the Contests forum faces right now, and it is the cause of most of the arguments that come up. Alot of these arguments end up being sorted out in public view (yes, I know I'm guilty of this too), and I think it might even give contest holders a bad impression of SitePoint. One contest holder has even expressed a desire to not run any more contests and simply contract out individual designers, in part (I believe) because of how one of his contests turned into a battlefront.

Another contest is running right now that prompted me to make this post. It is for a header/banner design for a Ferarri website, and an argument came up because one designer used the Ferarri font after another designer had already used it.

I'm sorry, but using a Ferarri font for a Ferarri website is in no way what-so-ever an original idea. How ridiculous has this gotten? Now if you use a font that has already been used, you're ripping someone off? I fear the day when I see two designers go at it over the usage of Times Roman...

I know this is a tough aspect of contest to govern, but people are getting out of hand with this ownership of concept nonsense. We need to come up with some sort of guidlines that include what is and what isn't considered stealing in the eyes of SitePoint, and arguing over something that is coverd in these guidlines will not be tolerated. I think it will have to be up to the mods to determine this, but I would suggest something that includes mention of what design elements are obvious, non-original parts of a design based on the contest. Note the Ferarri example above, or think of things like using a house icon/image for a real estate logo, using a red cross for a medical-related logo, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the answer to this is no arguements are allowed in the thread period. If someone has a problem they should contact a moderator. Your right helix it looks very unprofessional.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs111
    I think the answer to this is no arguements are allowed in the thread period. If someone has a problem they should contact a moderator. Your right helix it looks very unprofessional.
    I completely agree. Several times when things have gotten out of hand, Palmer has stepped in and deleted flames and arguments.

I do think if people are going to argue in a contest thread they should get one warning, get their posts (including entries deleted) and the second time have their membership suspended for a week or two (and especially until the contest in question has ended).
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actually looking at making it more severe, 1 warning and then you are out - gone permentently!

Off to review that thread Helix

All I can say is PM me or report the post and I will do what I can when I can
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah
    Off to review that thread Helix
    Actually it's already been locked. I just commented on it because it illustrated my point.

And I do like the idea of not commenting at all in the thread about stealing ideas and simply reporting it to a mod. Just hope Sarah doesn't mind getting bombarded with bad post messages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would rather get bombarded than end up closing that section of the forum
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower
    I lied... one more thing. Stop the "if I get time, I'll enter this" Who are you trying to impress?
    I think I do this a lot. I'll say "I'll try to enter if I get a chance." Sorry. I completely understand what you mean. It does come off as very arrogant.

This is why I've done it: I really want to enter, but I know one of these is likely to happen:
    1. Xara X1 is in the mail right now. I can't enter anything until it arrives. If the contest ends before I get it... yeah.
    2. A lot of times, I'll spend a lot of time working on something, but I just delete it. It's not a matter of having a chance, it's just that I wanted to enter, and ended up with nothing.

I should probably re-word it if I do it again.

About originality and where to draw the line:
    The Ferrarri font? That's fair game. I don't know how many remember the AWIO contest... blizzman24 used Alba for the text "awio." That's a distinct enough font that I would back off and not use it. If he used something like Trebuchet MS, I would feel perfectly fine using it. In a Ferrarri contest, the Ferrarri font is a no-brainer idea that's fair game.

With A-Movie-A-Day, I never saw Helix's design. I saw Bunnydojo's design and it was a pretty distinct calendar. I think the calendar idea is fair-game, but if it is as "abstract" as Bunny's, it's crossing the line.

With WebMedLock, the lock idea is fair game. If someone used the lock in a very creative way and someone else did it, too, that's crossing the line.

Basic ideas are fair game... (Hockey puck => hockey site, controller => gaming site, golf ball => golf site, etc.) Don't copy someone's location of the basic idea (like hockey puck = o in the word hockey). If there's something creative done with the basic idea and you didn't actually think of it before you saw the person's post, don't use it. It's pretty simple.

Copying work only makes you look bad anyway. You'll take more crap than it's worth.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It isn't just you Jon, and I didn't mean to single anyone out because that's not my way of doing things.

I just had an idea though (and this is not about Jon!!!).

Many times in a contest a client will like one font, graphic, or color scheme and an element of another entry. Wouldn't be great if we could collaborate?
    For instance, if the contest holder says, "Shyflower, I like your graphic, and Jon I like your font." (Now not just Jon... he was "handy" in this instance)
    But what's the problem with one of us pm'ing the other and collaborating on an entry?

I think that would really make us a community instead of designers at each other's throats. I, for one, would rather have half a $100.00 prize than none at all. This was quite apparent in the beach flower contest. I am still going on with it trying to find just the right color scheme and font. Unfortunately, feedback is at a premium. Maybe some day.... (However, they did pay me. I'd just like to send the files they want and be done with it!)

Anyway, back to the point. I would be interested in hearing what others have to think (pros and cons) of this idea. The only problem that I see is that some people don't know that pm mean Private Message at both ends and frequently have to blow about them in the contest threads. I certainly would only want to ask people I could trust to Private Message me back and not put it into a thread.

As far as banning someone at their first infraction, I think they would only go get another user name with another mailbox. Heaven knows most of us have at least a couple! If that's the case, then I think the 25 post thing is good. At least they would have to post 25 times before they could ignite a fire in another thread!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower
    It isn't just you Jon, and I didn't mean to single anyone out because that's not my way of doing things.

I just had an idea though (and this is not about Jon!!!).

Many times in a contest a client will like one font, graphic, or color scheme and an element of another entry. Wouldn't be great if we could collaborate?
    For instance, if the contest holder says, "Shyflower, I like your graphic, and Jon I like your font." (Now not just Jon... he was "handy" in this instance)
    But what's the problem with one of us pm'ing the other and collaborating on an entry?

I think that would really make us a community instead of designers at each other's throats. I, for one, would rather have half a $100.00 prize than none at all. This was quite apparent in the beach flower contest. I am still going on with it trying to find just the right color scheme and font. Unfortunately, feedback is at a premium. Maybe some day.... (However, they did pay me. I'd just like to send the files they want and be done with it!)

Anyway, back to the point. I would be interested in hearing what others have to think (pros and cons) of this idea. The only problem that I see is that some people don't know that pm mean Private Message at both ends and frequently have to blow about them in the contest threads. I certainly would only want to ask people I could trust to Private Message me back and not put it into a thread.

As far as banning someone at their first infraction, I think they would only go get another user name with another mailbox. Heaven knows most of us have at least a couple! If that's the case, then I think the 25 post thing is good. At least they would have to post 25 times before they could ignite a fire in another thread!
    Great idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Twig
    Basic ideas are fair game... (Hockey puck => hockey site, controller => gaming site, golf ball => golf site, etc.) Don't copy someone's location of the basic idea (like hockey puck = o in the word hockey). If there's something creative done with the basic idea and you didn't actually think of it before you saw the person's post, don't use it. It's pretty simple.
    That's all I'm saying. Basic ideas are fair game. Unfortunately there are alot of people around here who think they have the rights to an idea as soon as they post a rough rendering of the design.

And the "don't use it unless you thought of it before you saw the person's post" thing doesn't seem to work with some people either. If it's not timestamped within an hour of the other post, you'll get lynched. Trust me.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I've posted this a while ago in a contest thread, I was quite angry at that point but nevertheless it could be an opinion lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility
    Last days many contests end this way this is so sad, I now hesutate before entring one , I know that not all of us will win but at least one among the people entring the contest will win, hopefully it is usually the best one or one among the best entries ; but I think this is enough for all of us competing winning or loosing against other talented people that love SPF, Seeing someone winning acontest, even if we thought that we could win that given contest, is something special and we say may be next time I'll beat member X or member Y they are talented and deserve to win !! but if none wins !!

>> I may have a suggestion to SPF Staff ! May be it is not applicable or something but I don't know think it is a fairly good Idea: why not create an account for SPF on paypal or something when someone wants to hold a contest he deposits the sum of the prize in the SPF account and only then he's allowed to start his contest, if, in the end, he REALLY doesn't like any entry he could take back his money!
    What do u think people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all I'm saying. Basic ideas are fair game. Unfortunately there are alot of people around here who think they have the rights to an idea as soon as they post a rough rendering of the design.
    Yeah, I was pretty much backing you up, but Iw as too lazy to go back and see who roginally posted that. (Yeah, I believe I even stole some of your words. I hope you mind. )

Quote Originally Posted by Helix
    And the "don't use it unless you thought of it before you saw the person's post" thing doesn't seem to work with some people either. If it's not timestamped within an hour of the other post, you'll get lynched. Trust me.
    True... I guess people really need to givea little. If the designer that you (not specifically you, Helix ) supposedly "ripped" has a problem, he can ask you to take it down. But if he doesn't have a problem, everyone else should just leave it alone as it's not really any of their business.

If you are concerned about someone ripping someone else's design, PM the original designer and let them know. That always seems to work out better than starting a little flame war int eh contest thread.

Off Topic:

I've probably asked you this before, but where in NY are you from, Helix?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True... I guess people really need to givea little. If the designer that you (not specifically you, Helix ) supposedly "ripped" has a problem, he can ask you to take it down. But if he doesn't have a problem, everyone else should just leave it alone as it's not really any of their business.
    I agree. And that was actually the case with the Movie-A-Day contest. Bunny, as well as alot of other people who PMed me, didn't see what the big deal was or how my design was a rip of Bunny's. All it takes is one person out to start some controversy...

Off Topic:

I've probably asked you this before, but where in NY are you from, Helix?
    Actually I should probably change that since I can't totally claim NY roots. I live just across the Hudson in NJ, but I spend most of my time in NYC. I work there, take a couple classes, and just generally end up hanging around there alot. I guess if you broke down the hours, I'm pretty evenly split between the time spent in NJ and NYC.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Us Jersey peeps are taking over!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

That's cool. I know a bunch of people from Jersey.