SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us rejoice to the reopening of this thread! hehez.
    Have you taken a look at Studiococ's latest idea?

Check it out here : http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=26301
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that happened to me that bugged me was that I had posted a website for review. Someone mentioned to me to open my links in a new window.
    I didn't know how so I asked. All of a sudden the forum turned into to a forum on how to open links in new windows.

It upset me b/c people stopped reviewing my site

Here's the thread: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...578#post183578

Anyways, maybe you could prevent that somehow.
    Thanks!
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spiralling threads can be fun though Swim? - just check this one you started...

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=26626

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make it to the point:

1. Lets keep this site in English language.
    why: For those non-English back ground could get the online translation at world.altavista.com (Babel Fish)
    benefits: Not only improve their English but also to keep this site as a whole instead of group(as in language).

2. Some times it is true that this site is loading a bit slow.
    why: Still don't know. Perhaps my 56k modem need a bit of upgrade

3. The Site navigation is good but not very good.
    why: Some times got lost.
    Reason: May be I'm confused

Over all this is the most awesome forum/bbs I know at this moment.

Cheers.
    jks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ckeren
    Make it to the point:

1. Lets keep this site in English language.
    why: For those non-English back ground could get the online translation at world.altavista.com (Babel Fish)
    benefits: Not only improve their English.....
    While it is nice of you to consider the language skills of those who already speak several languages - I think the reverse argument (that multi-lingual forums could stop English-only speakers being so damn lazy...er sorry, I mean give them a chance to practice other languages) is just as valid.

H

(the group thing I kind of agree with though )
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lazyness is bliss...

English is the 'Official' language of the world don't ya know! (and the most expressive...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I think would be great to see although not completely related to the Forums is maybe a chat area. There could be rooms on specific things like web design, scripting, hosting, graphics, etc.

I think it would work great because people could get much faster answers to their questions.

Just an opinion :-)
    AdamPolselli.com

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my second medallion yesterday---woohoo!---but I still have not mastered the funky vbCode. Perhaps using straight HTML as an option would be good, but then again, maybe it is an option.

Also what Marina said about having a section about just new posts would help us.

Maybe lowering the level where you can change your title to 100.

Oh, and that Sketch guy needs to be a Mentor...that would make SP Purrfect!

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id get rid of the subforums. they really arent needed. if the topic is good, it will stay at the top of the list. there's no need to keep making users click and click and click.

secondly, activate html in signatures. edevboards.com is an excellent site. although they have just 500 users, they're on their way up to your level. check them out. everythign there is excellent.

dont make everythign so messy! the problems with sites with lots of pages is that they get extremely messy. dont let this be you!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reduce the number of forums - the fewer the better. Only expand to multiple forums if they get too busy to handel and people begin to complain.

If HTML is allowed in signatures I'd like to give people the option of turning it off. I've seen too many sites that allowed HTML and people start to have animated GIFs after each post - yuck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FAQ

One of the forums I visit, MacroMedia maybe, has a post about FAQ sections. The moderators have taken threads and editied them into a FAQ with links by subject.

The neat part of the system is that this posting always shows as the most recent posting and therefore remains at the top (I guess the bottom here) so it is always visiable.

I presently have to maintain an off line list of FAQ locations for the forums I visit. It was nice to find a site with a FAQ floating in each forum. Also, I find that in many cases I have to ask participants where the FAQ for the forum is kept and wait until someone answers me so I can review it.

I found SitePoint when I was reviewing Snitz. This is a forum I was sent to. I found it so useful that I continue to use it and send other tech's here. Keep up the Great work and Thanks for a great site.

Alan
    Dynamic HTML - Is that a Frisbee based language...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would generally recommend archiving common questions into a 'Read-Only' forum.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps if the Babelfish was to be integrated into the forums, it could be done in such a way that the users IP was checked to see if they were from a foreign country, then offers the buttons to allow for translations, if not, then it doesn't display the buttons.

This would prevent clutter on the forums and also prevent unnecessary increased download times/bandwidth usage.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the issue of how to make sitepoint a better place for webmasters i seek to offer the following observations.

1.As pointed out earlier there should be proper coordination between the tutorial section and the forum. And there should be facilities to check quickly and easily some of the reference materials.

2.The original idea is to have a web mastery resource in english language so let it be in english language. I am very sure there are other web mastery resources in spanish, french and probably in German language.

3.In short this idea of making sitepoint a place for french, german, spanish and chinese postings will make it clumsy and people will never find their bearing.

4.Finally, its better to write in french if one wants to write french and in english if that is the rule of the game. Because if a visitor comes to sitepoint from Israel, Japan, Lithuania or Mexico. He will not expect a web site in lithuanian or spanish but in english language.
    fash

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!

There isn't much I would complain about regarding SitePoint. I think that you folks definitely need to keep up the good work of keeping spam and junk out. Haven't seen too much and hope not to either.

Other than staying on that level....

Keep up the good work!

Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com
    Where "smart" businesses go to learn about the Internet

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my $.02

i didn't take the time to go through any of the previous posts, but... how about...

if i could make a list of topics or keywords that i generally look for and have your server point out those posts/topics first..?

HELL! i would love to be able to code that...

but i'm only a baby coder.
    in real life, sark would have triumphed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm

allready think its great, one of the best I've seen so far
    signature

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internationally, this is one of the most interesting webmaster discussion forums.

One will find at sitepoint hints, ideas and things you will not find elsewhere.
    fash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DarkMonkey
    Well, I dont know if I've been here long enough for my opinion to really count that high, but I've found absolutely zero problems with peoples replies at all. I've read many queries from other people and posted my own, and every time, the query has been answered quickly, and expertly, but also, and this is the most important, friendly. I really think the people assembled here are great, and you'd be hard pushed to improve it in that way.

Maybe one way you could improve usability is not to have this kind of forum under the subforums, as it doesn't really have a category, it's kinda the general forum, under the subject 'web design'. I think other people might benifit (especially newer members) if rather than having this forum under the other three, having a forth forum on the list 'general design discussion'... obviously you can think of a snappier title, but that's my input

Also a tutorials forum would be neat, where people could write up long tutorials on given subjects, you could make it read only, or moderate it so that only corrections are given rather than general discussion. I'm sure that would be a very useful addition to the comunity.

I'm done now
    I just have this to say about this forum

you people are awesome..1 thing I might say is try and find other ways from people to contact you other than email use ICQ and AIM, I know some people would agree that its important to keep contact On and Off the forum..but anywayz that just my 2 cents
    Ian Gordon
    PHP & MySQL coder
    "Coding is like riding a bike, with a little practice, u won't hurt urself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by PHP_Nut
    1 thing I might say is try and find other ways from people to contact you other than email use ICQ and AIM,
    hmm..won't you think people like wayne will be bombarded with icq messages? =)
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SitePoint has a great forums system i just think that maybe a few more general rooms that have a broad topic like HTML or something could be useful to some people
    Wavelan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. How'd you find this ol' thread?
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Improving forums ?

I thinks the forums are great but I would like to be able to find out where users live. It would be good to be able to find out who lives in my area, which is Brighton (UK)and members close like Worthing, Lancing, Hove, Burgess hill, Lewes etc. At present, looking up members in the members list does not have a built in filter for this. It would be great to be able to speak to like minded members and maybe collaborate / swap skills etc.

Maybe I'm wrong! Is is possible to find all the members in my local area?

Apart from this gripe, I think the Forums are fantastic, as I do Sitepoint in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Improving forums ?

Originally posted by nickwaughman
    Maybe I'm wrong! Is is possible to find all the members in my local area?
    A personal touch to the community.
    Communicating with users in your area (or other ares you choose) will build bonds among members too. That would be nice
    -- Albert Einstein

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WEll hey it's great to see lynlimz on the forums

Yeah, that locate members in your area idea is cool! It would require more tweeking of the database probably unless you just went with some sort of regex matching. But that is a cool idea.