User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by lynlimz
    you have a point. but people like me who are not versed in your native language won't be able to help out in that area.
    Of course, but that'd be a bit like voluntary work at the beginning. If there are multilingual forums, then the members already registered here can help with the language they know, and help advertise the forums to their friends and in their language "community". Well, this implies a little personal effort, but that's worth it, in my opinion.

There's something that bugged me the other day: the dropdown box to select the forum is absent in the Profile section, where it would have been useful after you changed your details, instead of clicking the "home" link...
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Country Sites

Continueing the language comment...I think too it would be a great feature for SitePoint to support different languages. Maybe subforums or if possible complete new websites. SitePoint is great with a great idea. When I came here I was amazed, lots of people who share the same passion.

I am from The Netherlands and still learning English at school, sometimes it's hard for me to understand the (proffesional) replies from forumers. So I can understand some people would prefer to post and read in their own native language.
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <french>
    Ici , on parle plutot creole , et on appelle les reunionais les "bourbonnais"!, quel age tu as Shin Ma ?, male ou femelle ?, moi male, 15 ans
    </french>

hey that's my language, hope u tried to understand

Say YES to multilangual Sitepointforums!, and vote for me!

I agree that english is the main language of internet, that's partly because it was created in an english country, America i think. I also think that it could only benefits Sitepointforums using many languages, than using english only. It should be obvious to insert a new politic of multilingual at sitepoints. Internet is ONLY becoming bigger from nation to nation!,
    By the way, I created this discussion of languages! what an idea i had

Shut up brian

Always feeling like a teen and cool
    Brian Forever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, multilingual forums ... sounds highly complex.

The great thing about the forums as they are now is that so many of us for whom English is a second language (ESL) are asking questions and posting responses.

On the one hand, we are discriminating against those who do not speak english at all, but on the other hand, sitepoint has built itself in English, as a community of English speaking people. If all of the ESL members start posting in a different forum then we won't get to share what they have to offer anymore, and the community will become segregated and broken up. This would decrease its popularity and marketability greatly, even if new non-English members join.

Please don't take this to mean that I think everyone should speak english, or that it is the best language.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    what about having "French" and "Spanish" and "Italian" etc etc sections, at first with an "open" subject approach (as the English version seemed to be) and as and when they get busier, opening up the range of topics. A quick glance at the general chat forum will tell you that there are plenty of bods here who could help people that only speal those languages......but currently unless they speak english, there is no point of access for them.
    There would be no support from the administration in Foreign Language forums. I used to know french and I know a little spoken spanish. I can't write or read spanish, I only know can speak broken spanish because it is helpful in the Area I live in.

The other point is what languages would we select? There are hundreds of languages and dialects that we could allow but we can't support them all, there are not enough resources. I understand the concern but unless some benefactor donates millions of dollars there doesn't seem to be a reasonable or easy way to support this in the long run.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some inconsistency in the way the pages are entitled.
    It's weird to see "SomeTitle at Sitepoint.com" as a title. It looks like the topic related to Sitepoint.com, on every thread...
    Wouldn't it be clearer if there was "SomeTitle - Sitepoint.com" ?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmk, wasn't a criticism, just an idea for expansion . I can see that you would have problems implementing it though. It may be worth asking the non-native english speakers what resources they have found in their native languages. If the answer is none or poor, then perhaps collaboration with those members could help develop things.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Language Issue

I have been thinking about the language issue and here is what I have come up with.

1. Language specific forums will lead to fragmentation and "balkanize" the forums. This will lead to lower overall quality over time and some people will feel left out.

2. Multiple Language capability is needed and would benefit everyone in the future.

3. All messages must be stored in English. This is not only so I can read them and verify them but so that they can be moderated properly in order to keep the spam to a minimum.

4. Using English as the dominate language will allow us to follow the accepted language standard on the 'Net.

5. Translating 30,000+ pages into multiple languages is economically out of the question.

6. I can integrate Alta Vista's BabelFish into the forums. This will apply on the fly translation to 8 different languages including French, Spanish, Porteguese, Italian, German, Korean, Japanese and Chinese. I have actually done this on my development forums and tested it. It works, but I am not sure about Babel Fish's translations. I am sure they are broken and have grammatical problems in areas. It was interesting to view SitePoint in Kanji though. If there are other translation services available that are better let me know.

This brings up point 7.

7. There needs to be a way to translate a message from the end user's native language (chosen from the available list) to English before storing it in the database.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Language Issue

Originally posted by W. Luke
    6. I can integrate Alta Vista's BabelFish into the forums. This will apply on the fly translation to 8 different languages including French, Spanish, Porteguese, Italian, German, Korean, Japanese and Chinese. I have actually done this on my development forums and tested it. It works, but I am not sure about Babel Fish's translations. I am sure they are broken and have grammatical problems in areas.
    Try translating a portion of text into another language, then back, and see how inaccurate it eventually becomes.

While I was able to translate a German document into English using Babelfish, grammar mistakes abounded and a lot needed re-interpreting.

According to a recent magazine investigation however (internet.au - I need to look through my archives and find which month, but it was in the last year), Babelfish was listed as the most accurate translator to date.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: The Language Issue

Originally posted by BC

Try translating a portion of text into another language, then back, and see how inaccurate it eventually becomes.

According to a recent magazine investigation however (internet.au - I need to look through my archives and find which month, but it was in the last year), Babelfish was listed as the most accurate translator to date.
    It is better than nothing, and I know that it certainly helps people cross language boundaries.

Also, the babelfish translator has improved greatly in recent months. It is extra useful now that it supports Asian languages.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    add a 'today's hot topics' button (see www.were-here.com) it's the most pressed link on were-here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should add onBlur="if (this.value == '') this.value = 'Search for...';" to the Search box in the upper right corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, help.php really sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. help.php should be updated to reflect a better look. like setting font styles

I would say integrate the number of clicks/views on a post into the ratings of the post.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an effort to boost this thread again..
    what do you think about:

Sitepoint Forum's colours (color - US), layouts, navigational systems?

Regarding your user habits...do you just go to a specific forum? Ever venture to other forums frequently? How are your browsing habits?

Do you visit sitepoint forums daily? it seems..from the previous posts that many get replies that helped them in one way or another.

keep it going!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's NOTHING WRONG AT ALL with the forum colors. I love orange =)

About my habits, I only visit one forum on a daily base (Multimedia & Graphic Design) and sometimes Webdesign if I am in the mood =)

I always check every new topic and...uhm...what do you want to know more? =)
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forum habits

Well I usually venture in PHP/MySQL, Webpage Design and its subforums, and General Chat.
    Sometimes I go to Website Reviews, but that's all... I'm not an adventurer

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you ask - what's with all the "Read Me" on topics (like this one) which remain at the top for ages. This topic is a little different, but on some of them I can't figure out what makes them more important than others and it seems they should be allowed to die a natural death. Some of them are already dead but don't know enought to sink down the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be nice to have a new forum on web server administration.
    Currently, web server and security threads are spreaded out in other forums. Apache and linux are being mentioned the most.

John
    Last edited by johnn; May 27, 2001 at 00:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lingua franca!

Originally posted by koolbrian
    <french>
    Ici , on parle plutot creole , et on appelle les reunionais les "bourbonnais"!, quel age tu as Shin Ma ?, male ou femelle ?, moi male, 15 ans
    </french>
    hey that's my language, hope u tried to understand
    Say YES to multilangual Sitepointforums!, and vote for me!
    Think, would it not shut out the contents of the "cool brains" of cool brian's ilk to the frenchly-impoverished dudes like us!
    If you try to stretch it a wee bit, what about non-Europian languages!
    I think SP may keep this En-only and may think of starting a pure French speaking site like "sitepointforum.fr" to cater to the folks hailing from the land of my most favorite character, the great menhir turner!
    Let En remain the lingua franca of this forum!
    Hope I haven't hurt anyone!
    Cheers!
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

.net install meltdown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My .02:

Sometimes the site can be really slow. I'm on a somewhat unreliable dialup, so this could be a problem on my end or perhaps the circuitous path through cyberspace from my ISP to sitepoint.

There are alot of posts/polls in the general chat forum but I don't see a need to moderate this, it serves to bolster the community and is one of the reasons I enjoy these boards so much. IMHO it's entropy, let the chaos unfold.

I would like to see the "3 posts required for a website review" rule go away. While this may attempt to limit review posts by unscrupulous types who don't otherwise contribute to the community, it also prohibits those who may be sheepish about their skills and are reluctant to post advice/critique of others from gaining valuble feedback - I'm thinking of a first-timer who would benefit from the community's feedback about their efforts, but who can't get that valuble feedback becuase they haven't offered opinions or feedback of their own becuase they feel unqualified to do so. It also encourages people to post 3x spam in order to meet the necessary requirements. As for the unsrupulous types who continually post reviews w/out otherwise contributing, they'll be sniffed out by the individual sitepointers and eventually be exiled to the mental recycle bin.

Overall, a great resource and one of my fav's.

Thanks to all who contribute time and effort to keeping sitepoint afloat, lively and a great community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by isotope235
    I would like to see the "3 posts required for a website review" rule go away. While this may attempt to limit review posts by unscrupulous types who don't otherwise contribute to the community, it also prohibits those who may be sheepish about their skills and are reluctant to post advice/critique of others from gaining valuble feedback - I'm thinking of a first-timer who would benefit from the community's feedback about their efforts, but who can't get that valuble feedback becuase they haven't offered opinions or feedback of their own becuase they feel unqualified to do so. It also encourages people to post 3x spam in order to meet the necessary requirements. As for the unsrupulous types who continually post reviews w/out otherwise contributing, they'll be sniffed out by the individual sitepointers and eventually be exiled to the mental recycle bin.

Overall, a great resource and one of my fav's.

Thanks to all who contribute time and effort to keeping sitepoint afloat, lively and a great community.
    yes. that makes some sense. what about beginners who can't do reviews? but we aren't asking for very technical reviews either. posting your comments and ways on improving someone's site should be a natural process.

think of it in this way. when you see this site. what are your thoughts about it? from there, make opinions on ways to make the site better in your eyes. viewing pleasure..are the colours in the site too bright? how about lowering the brightness of the colours used? font size small? make it bigger!

so you see, the 3 basic review criterial is crucial. yes..its rather troublesome. but do it to others, and others will do it to you. its a community where everyone plays a part.
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by psalzer
    Since you ask - what's with all the "Read Me" on topics (like this one) which remain at the top for ages. This topic is a little different, but on some of them I can't figure out what makes them more important than others and it seems they should be allowed to die a natural death. Some of them are already dead but don't know enought to sink down the list.
    when classified under Read Me, these posts serve a purpose to the community forums. it requires the attention of users. everyone should read them if they haven't. reply as required. (see the difference between read Me and Annoucement? :P)
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by lynlimz

when classified under Read Me, these posts serve a purpose to the community forums. it requires the attention of users. everyone should read them if they haven't. reply as required. (see the difference between read Me and Annoucement? :P)
    That's my point. It makes sense for this one to stay at the top, but sometimes there are several that are clearly just questions that no one can answer or something like that. Not any different from the ones that aren't classified as Read Me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by psalzer

That's my point. It makes sense for this one to stay at the top, but sometimes there are several that are clearly just questions that no one can answer or something like that. Not any different from the ones that aren't classified as Read Me.
    alright. so maybe omehting should be worked out. i'm not too sure as I'm not the one making posts 'Read Me'.
    -- Albert Einstein