SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey!

We need some suggestions from user's experience on how SitePoint Forum can be furthur improved. How we can enhance your Reading/Browsing Experience. ..Are your Questions answered with satisfactory replies? How can we improve the quality of the forums and replies?

As a Frequent SitePoint Forum goer, please let us know your views and how we may improve.

All Views/Suggestions are highly appreciated!
    On Behalf of the Build Team, Thank You!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I dont know if I've been here long enough for my opinion to really count that high, but I've found absolutely zero problems with peoples replies at all. I've read many queries from other people and posted my own, and every time, the query has been answered quickly, and expertly, but also, and this is the most important, friendly. I really think the people assembled here are great, and you'd be hard pushed to improve it in that way.

Maybe one way you could improve usability is not to have this kind of forum under the subforums, as it doesn't really have a category, it's kinda the general forum, under the subject 'web design'. I think other people might benifit (especially newer members) if rather than having this forum under the other three, having a forth forum on the list 'general design discussion'... obviously you can think of a snappier title, but that's my input

Also a tutorials forum would be neat, where people could write up long tutorials on given subjects, you could make it read only, or moderate it so that only corrections are given rather than general discussion. I'm sure that would be a very useful addition to the comunity.

I'm done now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for your Brilliant Input! And I was thinking the post was somewhat ignored due to its topic. ( haha ).

Originally posted by DarkMonkey
    Maybe one way you could improve usability is not to have this kind of forum under the subforums, as it doesn't really have a category, it's kinda the general forum, under the subject 'web design'. I think other people might benifit (especially newer members) if rather than having this forum under the other three, having a forth forum on the list 'general design discussion'... obviously you can think of a snappier title, but that's my input
    Yes. We are looking to resolve the sub-forum issues. Maybe more suggestions can be made in this area?

Also a tutorials forum would be neat, where people could write up long tutorials on given subjects, you could make it read only, or moderate it so that only corrections are given rather than general discussion. I'm sure that would be a very useful addition to the comunity.
    Excellent Point. Tutorials...Maybe something can be derived from it.

I'm done now
    Thank You so Much!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually this forum is above the others. They are more specific categories within Web Design.

We actually do this. When we see an topic worthy of further discussion, we either contact the original author or one of our writers to flesh it out and create a full article/tutorial out of it. These are then published on our companion sites:
    http://sitepoint.com (Network Home)
    http://webmasterbase.com (Build)
    http://promotionbase.com (Grow)
    http://ecommercebase.com (Grow)

If you look at http://webmasterbase.com/tutorials you will find hundreds of graphical tutorials covering dozens of programs.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extending the relation between forums & tutorials ...

A thing that would be great, would be a forum that'd offer the ability to discuss about an article or a tutorial posted on SitePoint.
    Of course, you cannot store every article/tutorial as a new thread automatically, but you can disable the right for users to create a new thread in this forum and make it possible for a thread to be initiated only by the first reader who would click a "Discuss this article in our forum" link.
    Such a link would lead to a form where the poster (after a login/register to SPF procedure, which can of course be skipped with the use of SPF cookies) has only the ability of typing the text of the 1st post of the thread. The URL of the article/tutorial would be automatically included in the first line of the post as a reference. The subject line would be like, eg. "Tutorial: the rounded edges" or "Article: how to ..."

That way articles/tutorials can be discussed, but it wouldn't store undiscussed ressources in the forum database.

Phew, I hope it was clear
    (and I don't think this can be difficult to do: as for the 'discuss' link, make it check if a thread with the subject has been started, in this case send the reader to this thread, or else make the reader start the thread)
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be nice if you could put the "view new posts" link on every page. Now you have to go to the forums' main page in order to find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have no complaints with sitepointforums. A friendly place and also a helpful one. I would like thought to make you realize a point. When i post threads, i usually prefer to post it where there are many threads, like the web design with 14 000 threads. This way, i would get more replies and more views, thus helping me. Whereas, if my thread should go in a specifique subforum, i would place it in the main forum as i will have more views and replies. By resuming what i said, i think that the subforums should be erased. Putting only one main forum (Web design) for exemple. Sorry for my bad english as my main language is french!,
    hope u understood my point!
    Brian

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is without a doubt the best run, best moderated, forum with the highest quality of participants that I have seen.

One minor suggestion. When posts get to the point that they require additional pages, would love to see the links to the pages at both the top and bottom. As it is now if you have already viewed pages 1 and 2 and want to go to page 3 at the end of a thread to view the last few posts, you have to scroll to the bottom of the page before doing so. Having it in both places would make it easier for both new viewers and those following the thread.

Just noticed that there IS links to additional pages at top and bottom! Was this just a figment of my imagination that this wasn't the case earlier or did I inadvertently change some preference setting?

In that case SitePoint is perfect!
    Last edited by allie; May 11, 2001 at 08:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, every forum has clutter problems if they're large enough, but since that's inevitable, I don't count it as a problem.

Only two problems worth mentioning come to mind:

1 - Some times when you go to the trouble to help someone with some faulty code, they never reply, or at least take a very, very long time. That's about it -- not major, but a tiny bit annoying when it does happen.

2 - General Chat forum has got too many polls, and is getting too many posts.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Koolbrian raised an excellent point. When you first posted this I thought you'd get few responses as sitepoint really is difficult to improve upon......but.......

It is a worldwide forum, provided you speak English.,......

what about having "French" and "Spanish" and "Italian" etc etc sections, at first with an "open" subject approach (as the English version seemed to be) and as and when they get busier, opening up the range of topics. A quick glance at the general chat forum will tell you that there are plenty of bods here who could help people that only speal those languages......but currently unless they speak english, there is no point of access for them.

hope that's helpful

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Private messages can only be accessed through the first page. Not that I get many of those

<off-topic>
    <french>
    Koolbrian, est-ce qu'à l'île Maurice vous appelez les français "zoreilles" aussi, comme à la Réunion ? Ou alors le créole mauritien est bien différent du créole réunnionais ? J'ai une amie à Rodrigue j'avais jamais pensé à lui poser la question.
    </french>
    </off-topic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scroll!

Hi
    I have got a silly complaint.
    I visited the forum after a short break and found that the headers have expanded in "Y" axis so much that I have to scroll far below the 1st fold to view the beginning of the postings.
    I wish that the threads start "above fold" so that we don't feel the strain of further vertical scrolling as we get absorbed in reading the posts.
    Someone has suggested having seperate forums for each language. I think it may not be a welcome step for 2 reasons. To wit, folks like me who aren't lettered in any other Europian lingos will be missing the views and wisdom of those who will try to adorne only the exclusive language-based fora.
    Another thing, how many languages will you provide coupe's for! :-)
    My 2 Paise worth!
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my view, multiple languages would only spread the 'resources' -> people. eg. bilingual people might make their posts in their native language...and people like me...haaha..english freaks...whoops!

S.K, you're refering to the text advertisements right?

keep the suggestions coming! we are listening! thanks
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reality!

Originally posted by lynlimz
    S.K, you're refering to the text advertisements right?
    Yes!
    So much of white space abobe and below the ad!
    On second thoughts, it is quite understandable! In these days of internet ad revenue hitting the nadir, those sponsors of free services are to be given prominent position treated royally!
    Anyway, please think about it!
    Cheers!
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what of those surfers who can't speak English?

H

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really about being able to speak english or not, but about the ease in the use in this language. I have a hard time typing my posts, checking my grammar every other three words. It'd be much nicer if we (the non-english native speakers) had the ability to ask questions in our native languages...

Plus, think about how it would allow for SitePoint to gain some "marketshare" all over the world with international versions of the forums... Maybe I'm only dreaming, but I dreamed of an equivalent to SitePointForums in french, and I have yet to find it >> there the market is yours, there's no concurrence, some good ads campaign and you're settled. I suppose it's the same for other languages...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma
    It's not really about being able to speak english or not, but about the ease in the use in this language. I have a hard time typing my posts, checking my grammar every other three words. It'd be much nicer if we (the non-english native speakers) had the ability to ask questions in our native languages...
    Your English is excellent...it's better than a lot of native speakers, no doubt. I agree that we should allow non-English posts.

It would certainly bring in more visitors (most of who would probably already know English, at least a bit), and you can always run the thread through Babelfish if you don't understand the language that they are speaking.

At first, I think it'd be best to just put the language in the title, like "Francais: ___" instead of separate subforums.

Just my $.02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint is great - help with a smile.

Only thing I can think of is it would be nice to filter out general chat if I want too but on a visit to visit basis. Sometimes you just want to see the code

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the motion to add the "View New Posts" button on every page. I hate having to go back to the main forum page just to click that one button.

Other than that, SP is damn near perfect. I am a happy user. Keep up the good work!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint really is good. Hard to think of any serious issues that need improving. It is getting to be almost too much of a good thing, in that it's hard to get to everything you'd like to, but that can't really be helped. I guess if Sitepoint could get us an extra hour or so in each day that might do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma

Plus, think about how it would allow for SitePoint to gain some "marketshare" all over the world with international versions of the forums... Maybe I'm only dreaming, but I dreamed of an equivalent to SitePointForums in french, and I have yet to find it >> there the market is yours, there's no concurrence, some good ads campaign and you're settled. I suppose it's the same for other languages...
    you have a point. but people like me who are not versed in your native language won't be able to help out in that area.

i would suggest making a poll that would involve the entire member population of the sitpeointofrums and find out more about their native languages....etc. from there, with the statistical numbers, we decide if its well worth the effort?

another...when server is busy message pop-ups...there should be a form button to re-submit the link. or auto-resubmit after 10 seocnds or so. coz i have to go back and submit again. could save that extra step and save some annoyance =)
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Lymlimz, I think you missed my point

I am not talking about catering for existing forum members (& I do see your point about only replying in native language - that would be bad for me if I didn't speak it ), I am talking about prospective NEW members who do not have any English at all. I think sitepoint would be far more accesible if it had a multilingual forum. It is for the creators to decide whether this would water it down too much -I agree, it would be a shame if it did, but also believe it is a shame that non-english speakers can't enjoy it.

H

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    Hey Lymlimz, I think you missed my point

I am not talking about catering for existing forum members (& I do see your point about only replying in native language - that would be bad for me if I didn't speak it ), I am talking about prospective NEW members who do not have any English at all. I think sitepoint would be far more accesible if it had a multilingual forum. It is for the creators to decide whether this would water it down too much -I agree, it would be a shame if it did, but also believe it is a shame that non-english speakers can't enjoy it.

H
    certainly. actually, what I'm saying applies to new members too. How, can we also determine the audience? afterall, they are not in the database of users.
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm - I'm not talking about current "audience" (& by that I mean target audience, not "members". You have finite possibilities, limited currently by (among other things) language. If someone doesn't have English, they can't use sitepoint. I think it is safe to assume that it is not just the English speaking world who have a interest in the net & web design.

The point is - you can't determine the audience. What you are doing in this case in laying down a net to catch a wider audience. If that excercise involves compromising the current forums, perhaps it is a bad idea. If it makes them grow then it is a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess your right, luke. Although I'm sure a forum specifically made for people to post their own tutorials would encourage people to write things, they would otherwhise not write, after reading them, you could select the best ones to go on sitepoint as well.

I agree with an earlier post too. The gap betwee the text ads and the posts (or reply box at the moment) is very large, and there isn't really anything there. In a way the ad would get *more* exposure if the gap wasn't there, because you'd still be able to see it when you got to say the second post