SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    SitePoint Wizard mcsolas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hermosa Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Angry Cant kill .ldb file

    Yeah yeah .. I know I cant delete my .ldb file .. theres lots of posts on this subject. Heres the catch, I know a few tricks and none are working.

    I tried throwing a query "select SomeThingThatDoesntExist from TableThatsNotThere" to generate an error. ( I got this off evolt.org a long time ago ) .. but it doesn't wanna release it.

    When I go into access and open it, I tried to compact & repair DB. It is telling me:

    "The database is locked by user "ADMIN" on machine MyLaptop"

    Well therein lies the problem. User = Admin? Not on this machine buster. I am logged in as "administrator" AND no such user has ever existed on this install of Win XP pro Sp1. I created an account matching the "admin" name. Login, open, compact .. etc and nothing still.

    EDIT: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839782
    Failed to fix another way > Open access, then select the DB from there and in the dialog you can select that option.

    I am getting told I dont have "exclusive access" to my own computer. I want to punch this thing right now. please help. I hate being told I cant do something 10 different ways .. cant even delete it through dos.

    EDIT2: Contents of my ldb file seen through notepad ( but cant save a change of course )
    COMPU1 admin COMPU1 admin COMPU1 Admin

    3 entries for a user name that doesn't exist ( well now it does but it didn't when problem started )

  2. #2
    S1tepoint Surfer drochili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Mississauga, Canada
    Posts
    466
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MCsolas... try finding something called process explorer thru google and see which process is locking up the .ldb file, then kill it with the process explorer.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Wizard mcsolas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hermosa Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres what happens after I posted. I decided to be cool and create a username that matched that one it was telling me has locked it. So I do and login. Well I guess, windows XP decided that since I created a new one, I didn't want the old default one. No mention of anything and its gone.

    So I login, cant fix then find out that it removed so many of my preferences and started me with a blank user account. I have recovered now by bringing over a lot of things .. I didn't really lose out too much.

    Then I just copied and named the db file a new version and after that somehow, the ldb was gone later without me even trying. #$% windows you know.

  4. #4
    S1tepoint Surfer drochili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Mississauga, Canada
    Posts
    466
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad you solved it

  5. #5
    Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Before These Crowded Streets
    Posts
    9,446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When all else fails, you can reboot, you know. More than likely would have released the mdb file, thus eliminating the ldb.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor



  6. #6
    SitePoint Wizard mcsolas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hermosa Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were only so simple, to reboot. I tried that first

    No this one was a real ******* to kill. I mean, how can you unlock a file from a user that doesn't exist? They arent going to login and release it. Somehow, I think it was the fault of the CFM service.

    Yeah in the long run, it fixed a really annoying ( 3-4 second ) delay in any explorer shell related activity .. yes basically everything. So .. lets not call it a "solution" but it works now.

    EDIT: Problem revisited and solved

    Turns out that if I stop the coldfusion services, they were indeed the culprit here. It unlocks the database and lets me crack at it how I please. As it is and how it should be.

    Just had to slap it around a little and show this PC a little "act right" . { smack } There we go.
    Last edited by mcsolas; Feb 2, 2005 at 09:14.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •