SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Efficient result display across network

I am just in the process of thinking through the architecture of an application, and would like thoughts on the most efficient (bandwidth, processing time) way to call the database results from a remote site... What I mean is this...

Assume "Site A" is a remote site on a different server/domain/IP etc. from my database server. I am placing text links on Site A by calling the database to see which links are to be displayed on any particular page by capturing the URL of the page that is displaying the link and looking up that page in the database to see which links are assigned to that page (through PHP or ASP depending on the site) When I am talking about text links, I mean static text links would be displayed that a search engine spider will read as if they were hard coded html... not a cgi app or something similar.

Now... I assume the only way to do this is to have an output page on my database server and call to it by passing the parameters. However, this looks like it would eat tremendous bandwidth by making a call to the database results page each time a page is accessed, if there are hundreds of "Site A's" with hundreds of pages on each site...

Is there a better way to do this? Am I missing something simple that will reduce the bandwidth issue... or is it not that bad to begin with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can call directly to the database if you wish, though you do have security concerns to deal with at that point.

Though, it sounds like you aren't really storing anything too critical in terms of secure data, so this is a valid option. You could probably save a very tiny bit of bandwidth by having the database server create datasets you need, but that would require more processing power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are missing, forinstance, the concept of "Caching", which is something webservers are very good at.

You are also missing the concept of content compression. Webservers are also very good at using deflate or gzip to compress the document as it is streamed to the client.

Both techniques are commonly used to help move processing load away from the database and / or reduce bandwidth.

What you want to do is commonplace, many thousands of applications work exactly like this.

Usually, data is requested through a web service and is transmitted on an encrypted connection.

HTH