SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

newbie confused...

Okay, I've installed MySql and everything and am coming along slowly but surely with the program. I understand how to create a database and everything in my MySQL Command Prompt. The thing that I don't understand is, once I've created my database on my system, how do I get it to my webhosts' server so I can use it on my website?
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You go to the webhost's control panel.

You create the database (which may be separate from the PHPmyadmin which you use to administer the database yourself).

Yo then use PHPmyadmin to put things on to the database.
    :

:

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deronsizemore,

What you would need to do once you have your database set up just the way you want it on your own system, is EXPORT the database (usually to a text file, ie mystuff.sql) then you would IMPORT that file to the database with your web host. You'll need to read the info on the MySQL website about importing/exporting.

Most hosting providers use PHPMyAdmin as the interface with their databases, and it's pretty straightforward to use. You can also set PHPMyAdmin up on your own system as well (that's what I've done).

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction!

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobkball
    deronsizemore,

What you would need to do once you have your database set up just the way you want it on your own system, is EXPORT the database (usually to a text file, ie mystuff.sql) then you would IMPORT that file to the database with your web host. You'll need to read the info on the MySQL website about importing/exporting.

Most hosting providers use PHPMyAdmin as the interface with their databases, and it's pretty straightforward to use. You can also set PHPMyAdmin up on your own system as well (that's what I've done).

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction!
    Yeah, that got the ball rolling. As I just created my first databases today with one table, I'm still very new to all this. It makes sense to export it out, I'll just have to read up on how to do that. Yeah, my web host has PHPMyAdmin, but I don't have any idea how to use it...I've read like you said its pretty straight forward though. What exactly is PHPMyAdmin used for? What would be the advantages of having it on my own system?

Thanks,
    Deron
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore