User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Securing sessions on shared server

Hey everyone,

My website uses sessions for the usual malarkey - user logins, etc.

I'm on a shared server, with sessions saved in '/tmp'. I've been told that this is prone to sessions hijacking, since the whole server's session files are stored in that directory, not each domain/subdomain having its own '/tmp' directory. (The server's using Red Hat)

If they're vulnerable in here, what's the best course of action to take? I can't create directories outside my webroot (except in cgi/bin) so a custom directory is out of the question (again, unless I can use cgi/bin? doesn't seem a good idea).

I'm thinking then, of a database/cookies solution, storing a 'session' cookie on the user's computer with the value of a hashed session id, which then points to the appropriate row in a 'sessions' table in the database. Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable session database class, incidentally?

Could anyone advise me on this? What do you gurus do about session handling (please don't say "buy a dedicated server" because I can't! ) I've been using the /tmp dir for nearly two years now without any problems, but have only just got round to think seriously about session security.

Thanks for any help!
    Alex ...

Umm. PHP Guru....Naaaah jaswinder_rana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, you can use a different directory to store sessions which only you have access to with session_save_path(). BUT, as you mentioned you cannot create directory outside of webroot (which i can understand as my host does the same thing), then i would sure suggest you use database. i haven't used any session classes but until somebody tells you go on the following websites and try to find some.

1) www.hotscripts.com
    2) www.phpclasses.org

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote an article that addresses this particular issue:

http://shiflett.org/articles/security-corner-mar2004

Hope that helps.