SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile PLEASE Recommend to me a Laptop! ASAP !

Hello everyone,

I am planning to get a laptop from the US(through my uncle) but I'm really confused right now. I need help asap.

I require the laptop with the following configurations >>

>Intel Centrino(Mhz 1.6+) or Intel P 4..
    >512 MB DDR
    >Windows XP preferable
    >DVD/CDRW Combo Drive Required.
    >40GB+ Hard drive space
    >Needs an Ethernet card(with socket ofcourse), and serial-parallel ports will be an advantage.
    >Don't worry about the size, weight or screen size.
    >Price preferrably not more than $1500.

Please tell me as to which laptop best suits my needs so that I can let my uncle know to get it for me.

Thanks for reading this and trying to help me out..
    da_amazerxl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out www.dell.com. They'll have what you need for that price
    Maarten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have checked dell.com ... and similarly toshiba and IBM... but I need your recommendations... especially from people with first hand experiece... and if you can recommend me specific models, that'd be great. thanks for trying to help me out .

da_amazerxl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know its really of what you are looking for but hows about an apple ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an Inspiron a while back and it works great!
    Maarten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mark_W, i've heard good things about Mac Powerbooks but i've never used the OS and ain't too comfortable with the availibility of softwares for it. I'm going to move to another country with the machine and so don't want to take any chances.... can't take it... thanks tough for trying to point me in the right direction..

maartenvr, I've personally used an inspiron(which was not mine) .... however on the dell site, I cannot get exact specs regarding an inspiron for facts like DVD drive or Ethernet cards and so I cannot draw to any specifics... though i am interested in LatitudeD800 or Inspiron6000... but not too sure... Thanks for the suggestion..

Actually, right now my personal favourites accoring to my requirements are Satellite M35X-S311 and Tecra A2-S336 both from Toshiba... but I have no idea if I can go ahead with it...

more suggestions are most welcome.. Please help

da_amazerxl

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run an IT systems centre for all the independent (private) schools in my area and I always use Dell for anything that needs to be used in a administritive or networking environment. Dell Laptops or Desktops are definitely not my choice when it comes to power, but for value for money they cant really be beaten.

If you 'were' looking for a more powerful machine I would strongly recommend that you look into AJP computers, (www.ajp.co.uk) who apparently now deliver worldwide. I have one of their 3.4Ghz models and an old 5600D and love the machine's to bits. Really great machines and can handle basically anything.

Anyways, those would be my two picks...so take the advice and check it out!
    Regards,
    ~Equinox

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da_amazerxl
    mark_W, i've heard good things about Mac Powerbooks but i've never used the OS and ain't too comfortable with the availibility of softwares for it.
    Maybe it's about time you learn the OS then? That way you will also learn that most of the software you need - you can get.

Have you ever heard bad things about them? From mac users that is, not from PC users.

Sorry I know this is going off-topic, I'm just one satisfied mac user!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever owned a laptop before?

If you have owned a laptop before, then I suppose you are making an informed choice, do what you like. :-)

If you haven't I would suggest that you think twice about weight and battery life. Keep in mind that in a year or so your laptop is going to be underpowered, no matter what specs you buy at least it should be easy to carry and convienient to use!

$1500 gets you a pretty good laptop in this day and age... size and portability may as well be factors.

Just suggestions...
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Equinox, thanks for your suggestions. I'm actually looking towards dell now. About AJP, I ain't getting what I want in the price I want it in. Thanks for your comments.

mstwntd, thanks a lot for your suggestion but I'm not sure about shifting to another OS. I'll be going to a totally new country for me(Australia) for studies and I don't want to take a chance by not being able to get things I want for the machine. I've seen people using Mac and happy with it, but this time, I just can't. Thanks anyways..

samsm, I've never bought a laptop before. I mean I've used one a few times(My father's).. but I've never have had to make a decision. His is a Vaio though I don't know the exact model. About weight and battery life, my main use will be taking the laptop to my classes. All the other time I'd probably be using it on my room connected through adapter. So I'm not concerned about it... but since you say its important.. can you tell me how much battery life is recommended? I'm still not worried about the weight and size though.. Thanks a lot for your tip..

Still open to more suggestions..
    da_amazerxl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say ~6 hours advertised life is good. That means you may actually get 3-4 hours out of it. But I'm no expert on these things, you'd do well to read reviews where battery life is tested.

Oh, and while you aren't considering weight, remember not to think about how much books will weigh with the laptop. :-)
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    da_amazerxl,

I have 3 dell machines, two laptops and a desktop, and i can say theyve been fantastic machines. The power supplys are very propriatary, so i would take good care of it because i have had a few go south on me. Dell is very good about getting out a replacement part the next day. Their customer support has been somewhat degraded, still none the less satisfactory. Also, watch their sales, a buddy of mine got a brand new dell laptop for about 700 bucks, while i was still 8 months from paying my inspiron off. Cheers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mstwntd, thanks a lot for your suggestion but I'm not sure about shifting to another OS. I'll be going to a totally new country for me(Australia) for studies and I don't want to take a chance by not being able to get things I want for the machine. I've seen people using Mac and happy with it, but this time, I just can't. Thanks anyways..
    Fair enough then. Enjoy Australia, you'll love it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently got Averatec 3100 and I like it. It's cheaper than Dell & Toshiba laptops with similar configuration and it's smaller and lighter than a regular laptop so it's good to carry around or take it on a plane!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    samsm, Thanks.. it played a part ! The battery life that is !

p3dRO, Thanks for that Dell garauntee. However I'm not sure about the Dell support in Australia. And for that matter I'm not sure about any other company's support.. A lot of people have recommended me an Inspiron now, and so it is an option. Thanks again.

Thanks mstwntd .. I sure hope so !

MarkNYC, I have never heard of Avertac, and like I said with the OS before, I don't really want to take a chance for I am going to a new country for me. So I don't want to get stuck If some problem arises. Thanks really, for the suggestion..

Well, just to say, I'm down to two models.. a PCG-K33 Vaio(Sony) or a Dell Inspiron(which my uncle finds with the configuration I want) .. Hence, lets see what I come down to.

However if you have more to say or suggest, you are most welcome

da_amazerxl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a Toshiba S Serie with 1.7 centrino 2mb cache and 1gb ram+DVD multi reader and writer.
    I recommend it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    da_amazerxl, I understand completely, I was just pointing out that if you want to save money you can get something like Averatec with similar features for half price. I got mine on eBay (brand new) for $400 when a similar Dell or Sony laptop would cost about $800.
    Mark.

samsm, Thanks.. it played a part ! The battery life that is !

p3dRO, Thanks for that Dell garauntee. However I'm not sure about the Dell support in Australia. And for that matter I'm not sure about any other company's support.. A lot of people have recommended me an Inspiron now, and so it is an option. Thanks again.

Thanks mstwntd .. I sure hope so !

MarkNYC, I have never heard of Avertac, and like I said with the OS before, I don't really want to take a chance for I am going to a new country for me. So I don't want to get stuck If some problem arises. Thanks really, for the suggestion..

Well, just to say, I'm down to two models.. a PCG-K33 Vaio(Sony) or a Dell Inspiron(which my uncle finds with the configuration I want) .. Hence, lets see what I come down to.

However if you have more to say or suggest, you are most welcome

da_amazerxl