User Tag List

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

php/mysql gurus - please help with a small job for a Tsunami Relief Charity

Hello -

I hope this isn't an inappropriate post for this section!

As all of you know, many communities were devastated by the recent tsunami in S. Asia. Although there has been an outpouring of support from around the world, many of the tiny villages on some of the small islands in Thailand seem to have been passed by. A group of Westerners who regularly visit one particular island have created a non-profit relief organization to help these villages - The North Andaman Tsunami Relief Fund.

We strive to generate ongoing relief and rebuilding efforts to get the island villagers back on their feet. We've already generated over $60,000 and the funds are going into long-term services to help the affected population.

A group of designers is helping to create a website for this organization, and we are seeking volunteers to create a very simple php back-end for the site. This will be fairly straight-forward work, and shouldn't take too long. This is non-paying work, but if you would be willing to offer your programming skills to help out the Tsunami victims this is a great way to do that.

The other thread (where the design is being created) is right here.

I will do everything I can do make sure that this job can be done as quickly as possible - in other words, I will try and keep the requirements simple, non-changing, and straight-forward. To make the tasks as clear as possible, I am providing the following notes on our request:

The following features will be added to the site. These features need to be quite simple and easy to use, so we won't need any fancy functionality. Just the core functionality of the features and a simple implementation.
    • Photo Gallery - Should have the ability to upload new photos, add captions, divide photos into sections/albums, and allot thumbnails to be displayed on the front page (those could be hardcoded into the front page, though)
    • Blog / Updates Section - The relief director should be able to log into the site and place 'updates' about what the fund has been doing. This will be simple text, blog-style updates. It would be excellent if photos could be uploaded as part of this, and even better if it was integrated with the photo gallery. Comments would be a plus. Does not need trackback, search, feeds, though.
    • Some minimal database driven updatable lists: a list of villages,
    1. We'll try to get the design close to completion before we start implementing the back end. Hopefully this will reduce any tweaking due to design changes.

2. I will get any details (fields, etc.) and try to get some wireframes approved before this starts.

3. Open source or free scripts would be great - there is no reason to do unnecessary custom development.

4. The scripts should be integrated into the design for the site, at least fonts/colors so that it looks nice.

5. We can provide a development server with php/mysql and any other hosting required.

6. Please contact me with any other questions!

thanks! - Dave
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

You may want to use Gallery for the photos and BBlog as the blog solution. Both are PHP+MySQL based and are configurable.
    Ilya Devyatovsky
    ThinkHost, Inc.
    Wind/solar powered web hosting - 6 months free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if there is one that has both apps in one - are you familiar with blog:cms ? There is a demo of it at http://demo.blogcms.com/ . It seems fairly new and might not be very mature, but it has everything in one go and might fit the bill...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhecker
    Hello -

I hope this isn't an inappropriate post for this section!

As all of you know, many communities were devastated by the recent tsunami in S. Asia. Although there has been an outpouring of support from around the world, many of the tiny villages on some of the small islands in Thailand seem to have been passed by. A group of Westerners who regularly visit one particular island have created a non-profit relief organization to help these villages - The North Andaman Tsunami Relief Fund.

We strive to generate ongoing relief and rebuilding efforts to get the island villagers back on their feet. We've already generated over $60,000 and the funds are going into long-term services to help the affected population.

A group of designers is helping to create a website for this organization, and we are seeking volunteers to create a very simple php back-end for the site. This will be fairly straight-forward work, and shouldn't take too long. This is non-paying work, but if you would be willing to offer your programming skills to help out the Tsunami victims this is a great way to do that.

The other thread (where the design is being created) is right here.

I will do everything I can do make sure that this job can be done as quickly as possible - in other words, I will try and keep the requirements simple, non-changing, and straight-forward. To make the tasks as clear as possible, I am providing the following notes on our request:

The following features will be added to the site. These features need to be quite simple and easy to use, so we won't need any fancy functionality. Just the core functionality of the features and a simple implementation.
    • Photo Gallery - Should have the ability to upload new photos, add captions, divide photos into sections/albums, and allot thumbnails to be displayed on the front page (those could be hardcoded into the front page, though)
    • Blog / Updates Section - The relief director should be able to log into the site and place 'updates' about what the fund has been doing. This will be simple text, blog-style updates. It would be excellent if photos could be uploaded as part of this, and even better if it was integrated with the photo gallery. Comments would be a plus. Does not need trackback, search, feeds, though.
    • Some minimal database driven updatable lists: a list of villages,
    1. We'll try to get the design close to completion before we start implementing the back end. Hopefully this will reduce any tweaking due to design changes.

2. I will get any details (fields, etc.) and try to get some wireframes approved before this starts.

3. Open source or free scripts would be great - there is no reason to do unnecessary custom development.

4. The scripts should be integrated into the design for the site, at least fonts/colors so that it looks nice.

5. We can provide a development server with php/mysql and any other hosting required.

6. Please contact me with any other questions!

thanks! - Dave
    Hi Dave,
    I know php mysql etc fairly well ... in case you need to get some quick coding done etc .. you can contact me ...
    even i you want a part of the whole work done by me .. its okay ...
    --saurab
    Accepting Offers: NicheLabs.com - ExploringVOIP.com
    StableJob.com - AboutUniversities.com - Gemstone.co.in
    Assets.co.in - PropertyDealers.org - MortgageFirms.org
    eLearner.org - TravelResorts.info - TourstoAsia.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest http://tikiwiki.org: very complete and easy to configure.
    It is allready a multilang CMS, what could be of value here.
    Just you get 350 pages of doc for all modules but you don't need everything.
    I can help on it.
    +
    bertrand Gugger toggg.com linux, PHP, Auvergne/France open source

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

twiki

I'm a twiki user myself, and I love it! But, I think it's WAY too complicated for these users - they are looking for something incredibly simple and easy. Twiki is great, though!

I'm looking at www.blogcms.com because it would be so easy for the end-users, but I'm not sure how mature the code is.