SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its been a long time since i dont come around here... but now i've got some sort of problem.
    i've been working on http://mibstar.com/experiments/knotter/ (not finished!) and everything is alright with ie.

i know about the netscape problem with tabls and backgrounds so i thought why not use css at its fullest! <yeah!> right...
    i really thought netscape supported css, doesnt it? or what am i doing wrong? if it doesnt support css then what other options do i have in making the same effect on the site?

any ideas would be brilliant, even articles in css
    tia
    DIEGO MOORE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just posted this in another NS woe thread, it may be of help to you.
    You could try this - I don't hold out much hope but hey...

IE6 now has what microsoft call the document toggle ie if you leave out your <!doctype definition IE does its own thing, if you put it it it conforms to the stated standards (apparantly) so NS might be using a similar system, pop the code below at the very top of your page (remember to take out your own <html> root)

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-Transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

or put in the HTML4 version, all the doctypes can be found at the w3 site

It's worth a try

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, very interesting but it really doesnt help much...
    you see i'm only bothering becuase of the 15% of nn users (thats what i read not so long ago) but how many ie6 users are there?? how many are there going 2 be?

i think i'll cross the birdge when i get there, menwhile i'll try and discover how 2 make this wok without having to make a complete diferent site for those 15%
    DIEGO MOORE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    diacono...

Let me point out a few things for you.

1) You are using the DIV tag to center a table, then you also use the CENTER tag itself.

solution:
    If you are using a table and you want it centered, simply place "align="center" in the table tag itself. No need for extra tags.

2) Again, in your nested table, you use DIV and CENTER together.

solution:
    You can get away without that one by placing align="center" in the TD tag that contains the nested table.

3) The reason why your background is tiling improperly is that you are assigning the background to the TABLE tag. Using this method, IE will understand it and tile the background across the whole table. However, Netscape will tile the background inside EACH TD tag.

solution:
    Assign the background to the TD tag that contains the nested table. That way the background will tile properly in both browsers.

4) If you are trying to get your text links to line up properly, then I would recommend placing each of them inside a DIV and assigning that DIV an absolute position OR placing each link inside a TD tag.

I really like the image with the balloon people. Did you create that? It looks great.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <hey!> nice one creole...
    now i'll be buisy. so to get rid of the bad tiling all i need to do is but the bg on to the cell and inside that cell nest a new table right?

thanx. yes i did do that image, it need a bit of touching. be a aware of the power of The GIMP!!
    DIEGO MOORE

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know which browsers support the align="center" tag for tables? I haven't really used it much because support seemed to be limited to IE, but thinking about it, I realize that was a while back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    every browser that I am aware of supports that tag. Someone might come along and prove me wrong but I am positive that they all support it.

diacono...

I am aware of the Power of GIMP, but are you aware of the power of Photoshop? It has much greater powers than GIMP does. Plus it costs a whole lot more...HEEEEEY...

Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. That will make life a lot easier. It used to not be supported by Netscape and Opera, but that probably goes back a bunch of versions. I have lots of page up with div and center tags for tables. The cell properties worked, but not the table alignment.