SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS Office goes into read-only mode

My MS Office XP (2002) has gone into a read-only mode. It's not just Word, but also Excel and probably the other office apps. Also, it's not the document because I can edit it with Wordpad. Also, the "New" item on the File menu is grayed out.

This happened to me last year as well. Fortunately, I keep my programs and data on separate partitions, so I could just restore from a disk image, but I would like to know what is causing this.

It stopped working yesterday. The only thing I did was to installed another 512MB of RAM and I swapped out a DVD drive. I've heard that MS checks to see if there are hardware changes to a system (to prevent users from installing on new PC's, I guess). Is this what happened to me?

I am running Windows XP sp2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody sounds like it. I think part of their copy protection records your specs at install, and now it obviously thinks it's on a new computer.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...829921033.aspx doesn't really answer your question, but gives an idea of what they do.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm...usually it asks you to reactivate the OS with microsoft if you reconfigured your hardware. I don't think adding a stick of ram and a dvd drive would initiate that.

Last week I added another gig of ram and a 250 gb hard drive. Went smooth and no re-activation issue.

I think your problem lies elsewhere.
    Last edited by iluminatae; Jan 28, 2005 at 07:02.
    <! -- This post is best viewed with FireFox -->
    <blink> <blink><blinkity></blink>