SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microsoft Outsourcing, Lay-Offs

Interesting tidbits:

Microsoft is laying off 62 test engineers in the second round of cuts hitting Windows testers in the past five months.
    The 62 work in the core operating system division, headed by Brian Valentine, a senior vice president. In the past, Valentine has called on managers to consider outsourcing work to India as a way to get more done for less cost.

Microsoft is outsourcing some test work to overseas companies such as Wipro, Infosys and Tata Consultancy in India. It's also expanding its overseas research and development facilities with a new campus opening this month in Hyderabad, India.
    Separately, the company in August announced that it was laying off 76 employees in its Xbox division.

Layoffs used to be a rarity at Microsoft, but the company has become more aggressive about pruning its ranks. One factor is the push by executives to cut costs and adjust to the slower growth in the technology industry.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...layoffs20.html

There are also rumors that the plug might be pulled on Longhorn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the article, the main reason for the layoffs is automated testing software taking over the need for human testers, and not so much offshore outsourcing... but then again who knows.

Why might they be pulling the plug on Longhorn?
    Danielion
    Imagine a world without hypothetical scenarios...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Synaesthesiac
    Why might they be pulling the plug on Longhorn?
    I doubt they'll pull the plug, but it's been massively delayed and they've had to cut out lots of features. I'm wondering if it's going to look/feel that much different form XP when it's released in 2-10 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ten years?!? Oh man. The rumor that the plug might be pulled on Longhorn was over on f*ckedcompany - I couldn't find anything more substantial than that though. Just a rumor, but Longhorn is becoming somewhat like Duke Nukem Forever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMichaels
    Ten years?!? Oh man. The rumor that the plug might be pulled on Longhorn was over on f*ckedcompany - I couldn't find anything more substantial than that though. Just a rumor, but Longhorn is becoming somewhat like Duke Nukem Forever.
    The 10 years thing was my exagerration. Don't take it as gospel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have dreams of running Perl6 on Longhorn while getting a foot massage from Beyonce. I should probably not hold my breath, huh?

--ed

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    I'm wondering if it's going to look/feel that much different form XP when it's released in 2-10 years.
    It's supposed to be May 2006, but we'll see I think it will be very similar to XP too, but it should be more user friendly (see screenshots)

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature