0 Thread(s)

php vs asp

whos gonna win this battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The eternal war between the two continues . Personally, I will fight for PHP .

Yours, Erik.
    ERIK RIKLUND :: Yes, I've been gone quite a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I would have to say there is no such battle. A good programmer is capable of using the right language for the right project. so it shouldnt be the question, which one is better? It should be, which one would suit the project at hand?

Silly

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james340
    whos gonna win this battle.
    The mods
    I bet that the thread gets closed within an hour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Sillysoft
    Hmm. I would have to say there is no such battle. A good programmer is capable of using the right language for the right project. so it shouldnt be the question, which one is better? It should be, which one would suit the project at hand?
    Yes, you have a point there. However, the usage areas of the two languages are quite similar; both can be used to create web applications, and PHP can also be used to create "regular" applications as well using PHP-GTK (it might be possible to do using ASP too, I don't know). You say that one should choose the language that would "suit the project at hand", I would rather say that it's a matter of taste (since the two languages can be used to create applications in the same usage areas). I don't see the need of using ASP for one project, and PHP for the next (unless you create websites for clients; then it would be an asset to know both ASP and PHP). When I first started out to learn how to create web applications I started to look at ASP first, but I didn't like the syntax or how it worked, so I jumped over to PHP instead (which I still use, obviously ).

Edit:

Hm, I just read through what I'd written, and some of it might be pure drivel. I'm going to sleep...

Yours, Erik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilleman
    Hi,

Yes, you have a point there. However, the usage areas of the two languages are quite similar; both can be used to create web applications, and PHP can also be used to create "regular" applications as well using PHP-GTK (it might be possible to do using ASP too, I don't know). You say that one should choose the language that would "suit the project at hand", I would rather say that it's a matter of taste (since the two languages can be used to create applications in the same usage areas). I don't see the need of using ASP for one project, and PHP for the next (unless you create websites for clients; then it would be an asset to know both ASP and PHP). When I first started out to learn how to create web applications I started to look at ASP first, but I didn't like the syntax or how it worked, so I jumped over to PHP instead (which I still use, obviously ).

Edit:

Hm, I just read through what I'd written, and some of it might be pure drivel. I'm going to sleep...

Yours, Erik.
    Naa, was interesting post When I start a project I look at a couple of things:

1. Who is it for? (corporate or personal use)
    2. What type of audience is this for? (If for internet and you have to cater to modem users then that can really change thought process in programming and design)
    3. Hardware/software it will run on (If they only have a p3 550 with 128 megs of ram on windows then maybe php is the answer)
    4. Future plans with project. (User might want it OS independant)

You take this into account and decide which language is the best, not the other way around. You dont try to shove a triangle block into a circular hole.

Silly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Darn, I'm out of ammunition...

Yours, Erik.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Darn, I'm out of ammunition...

Yours, Erik.
    Here let me try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillysoft
    When I start a project I look at a couple of things:

1. Who is it for? (corporate or personal use)
    2. What type of audience is this for? (If for internet and you have to cater to modem users then that can really change thought process in programming and design)
    3. Hardware/software it will run on (If they only have a p3 550 with 128 megs of ram on windows then maybe php is the answer)
    4. Future plans with project. (User might want it OS independant)

You take this into account and decide which language is the best, not the other way around. You dont try to shove a triangle block into a circular hole.
    #1 and #2 relate to the eventual output of the app (like HTML), which is done equally well by both technologies. Or as DrZoid would say, more than equally well.

#3 seems to be a plug for PHP

#4 seems to be a plug for PHP.

OK, Silly, given the situation that you are the programmer and you choose the implementation, and given your criteria above, when exactly would you be choosing ASP? I'm sure there are times, it just isn't at all clear from the above. Maybe I missed something in #1.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    .NET framework is nice. Other than that not much difference. In other words both languages are so simliar that the programmer would make the difference not the language.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you compare Classic ASP to PHP, there's no contest. Classic ASP has so many walls that you can't do more than simple applications (ever try to read a simple binary file? or determine the dimensions of a graphic file?). Plus, in every speed comparison I've ever run, PHP averages about 10 times faster.

Now, if you look at ASP.NET, that's a different animal. The walls have been knocked down.... it's very powerful. I haven't run any speed tests between ASP.NET and PHP, but I would imagine they're pretty close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, there are more than just these two languages you can make web sites in? PHP, ASP (=VB.Net, C# etc), Ruby, Perl, Python etc...

Douglas
    Hello World

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Edit:

Yours, Erik.
    Haha, PHP'er here too, but I have to argue that PHP-GTK isn't really that great of an argument. I had tried it about 2 years ago, which was awfully preliminary, I know, but I just took a quick look. As they even say, 1.0.1 was the first release in 9 months. That's ridiculous. It's definately not evolving the way I had hoped 2 years ago, and I really wouldn't give PHP a point based off of it.

ASP.net and C# are awfully similar (at least, syntax wise) from what I've heard, meaning being able to create client and server (web) software would be relatively easy. That said, C and PHP are pretty similar too, only they don't have the libraries ASP.NET/C# do by default.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    ASP.net and C# are awfully similar
    Totally different.

One is a framework, the other is a language. Don't confuse!

From asp.net: "ASP.NET is a programming framework built on the common language runtime"

C# is one of those "common languages", VB.net is another, JScript is another.

There are a bunch of them, but all still under ASP.Net.

Douglas
    Hello World

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought C# used the .NET framework? Or is it ASP and C# that are similar, and both have the .NET framework attachable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougBTX
    You know, there are more than just these two languages you can make web sites in? PHP, ASP (=VB.Net, C# etc), Ruby, Perl, Python etc...

Douglas
    JAVA!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    I thought C# used the .NET framework? Or is it ASP and C# that are similar, and both have the .NET framework attachable?
    ASP or ASP.NET aren't languages. I think the language most commonly used for building ASP.NET apps is C#(which many say looks remarkably similar to Java), but there's many others that can be used.

--ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viflux
    JAVA!!!
    What's that?
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCoded
    Or as DrZoid would say, more than equally well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coo_t2
    ASP or ASP.NET aren't languages.
    ASP actually is, at least as language as PHP .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's that?
    I think he/she is telling you about one more programming language which you can use to create websites....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's that?

An island near Indonesia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drzoid
    ASP actually is, at least as language as PHP .
    NOPE, ASP is not a programming language itself. It is a framework in which we can use different programming languages, javascript and vbscript etc, to create websites...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drzoid

An island near Indonesia

lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Douglas
    I state....

....anyone not using PHP for web development should be officially declared as insane and immediately be arrested!

Maybe another issue for George's second term - War on non-PHPers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by computerages
    NOPE, ASP is not a programming language itself. It is a framework in which we can use different programming languages, javascript and vbscript etc, to create websites...
    Are you talking about ASP or ASP.NET?