SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MySQL Installation

I bought Kevin Yank's PHP/MySQL book and have been reading it for a few days now. I'm finally getting the time to get started and I'm already having problems on page 4.

I downloaded MySQL 4.1.8 and installed it.

On page 4, Kevin says the bin subfolder will contain five versions of MySQL: mysqld.exe, mysqld-opt.exe, mysqld-nt.exe, mysqld-max.exe and mysqld-max-nt.exe.

First problem -- I only have 2 of these in my subfolder: mysqld.exe and mysqld-nt.exe. As I have a dreaded Windows ME system, Kevin suggests I use mysqld-opt.exe. But its not there. ????

So I decide to just go ahead with mysqld.exe. As directed, I go to the MS-DOS command prompt, then to the MySQL bin directory and run mysqld. It pauses for a second, then gives me another command prompt, which appears to be normal as Kevin says not to be surprised about the second command prompt.

However, when I Ctrl-Alt-Del and pull up the task list, I don't see it. ???

Playing around some more, I find that if I just double click on mysqld.exe in the bin directory where its located, it does show up in my task list. Is this good enough?

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a good thing that it shows up in the task bar however not so good thing that your stuck with the worst OS windows ever made! besides that, i would uninstall mySQL, and download it once more, following the procedures in Kevin's book will get you through, try again!

Cheers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to report I figured it out. I got "Your First PHP Script" to work also.

Next question --> is there a proper order in which to start/end MySQl and Apache? I've been starting MySQL first then Apache.

I also need to figure out the proper way to quit Apache. The only way I've found is to "end task" under my cntl-alt-delete task list ... but that appears to list errors when I start-up Apache the next time.

Thanks guys. The frustration is worth it once you figure stuff out!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up No Order

There is no proper order to my knowledge.

Apache is a web server.
    MySQL is an RDMS.

They are entirely independant of each other. The fact that you happen to ask Apache to serve documents that involve looking into a database is irrelevant save to say if you start Apache and then run a query it wont work until you have started MySQL.

Read Apache DOCS to learn how to properly start and stop it.

Final piece of advice - Get Windows XP. I am not being glibb here but you can then at least have the OS look after starting and stopping of both as services which fits much more neatly into the OS framework. And as previous post says - ME is the absolute worst mess ever written. You would be better running 98SE than ME - come to think of it, you'd be better running a homeless shelter than ME.

Good Luck