SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I have been reading this forum and came to know that you people are charging sky high prices.. can anybody guide me what should i charge to my clients.

I am IT Professional In e-commerce, i have done complete course of FrontPage 98, Adobe Photoshop, Ms Office, Photoshop, Web Designing and etc.

I also have an excellent command in designing banners, logos, websites and etc etc..

my work can be viewed in the Trading POst..
    Now I don't want to do be cheap any more..

Can you help me in pricing my self services.
    I want to charge people per page not per hour.

queries welcome
    36Host.com - $36/year web hosting [affiliates earn 30%]
    * Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *
    "500mb space, 10gb bandwith, 50 pop/ftp accounts, php,
    mysql, pre-installed php scripts, 24/7 support & more...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well figure out how long it would take you on a per page bases and go from there. The only problem when charging a flat fee is pages very in complexity.

There has been a couple of discussions on this subject.

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=12375

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...?threadid=4238

I think that these discussions point at a lot of things to concider when building a site for a client.

Hope this helps

Late
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply crying wolf.. i have read those articles before only..
    but i can't satisfy myself.

anyone else!

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to be charging for webdesign, you'd probably better use a nicer program than FrontPage. It produces "cookie cutter" pages that tend to look totally crap...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i generally use DreamWeaver 3.
    by the way how is DW4?

any comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I know this might start another argument, but I don't want it to...

"cookie cutter" pages that tend to look totally crap...
    I have to disagree with this, while yes some FP based sites do look like 'crap' I do not feel that this is near as much the software's fault as everyone tries to make it seem. I feel that a 'crappy' looking page is usually the fault of the designer because of lack of ability.

Almost all of my sites are put together in FP and I don't feel that they are 'crappy'
    [b]James Dasher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, the dude was asking how much should he charge!!! Not to turn this into a WAR on which program is better then that program etc...!!!!

---

I use this fantastic webpage design tool once on a while it rocks i am telling you it is the bomb!!!! best design tool ever created!!! Ok you ready???

Vision Uni-ball (purple) and some blueline!!!
    Ok I don't nessassarly write code with this but I do layout work!!! And Ok I don't aways use blueline sometimes I use graph paper and sometimes just plain old copy paper!!! That by far else is the best design tool ever!!!

I can get a monkey to write code, the key is can you design??? FP, DW, NOF, Notepad are all good!!! It's not the software, as we all know you can write code using a pen and paper. It is the designer who makes it rock!!!

So Omair use what ever program or tools you desire
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use GoLive 5.0... it's the VERY best out there. Also, I used FP2K for a long time, and it's also very good..

but on the side of charging...

take a job, look at it, and charge what you feel should be charged for it. Ok, you are going to charge, what? $100 dollars a page right? But then you get into, "I want four pictures on this on and only two on that one.", "Ok, then I'll charge two dollars for eachg picture."... NO. What you are going to have to do, is site down with your client for about an hour, and find out what he/she wants. Then go through the future demands of the client. Ask them (if they are going to have regular updates) if they would like to draw up a monthly contract for maintence, then you can charge a little less for the main web design. You make the really easy money on updates and maintenence. Also offer to host the site for the client. Domain name? Ya, that to. You can get really good hosts for $100 a year, so charge the client $50 a month for hosting, domain name, and a 500 word update. If they are going to, say add a article once a week that's going to vary from 500 to three thousand words, then work out say, $60 a month for them. They will be happy as a clam. And if they would have bought the package you would have the hassle of having to work between them and "their" usernames/password for their site when updating and designing.

So, if a business wants About, Product (No ordering), FAQ, Contact, Home, Tips, and Affiliates pages, and wants to add a tip every other day, then you don't say:

"Well, that's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 pages. lets get out that calc... hmm.. $128.56 per page, times 7 pages, plus the scanning of your logo... ah.. that's going to run you.. ah.. $919.92 for design.. and uh.. a new tip every other day.. hm.. well...."

Here's a better example:

"Ok, how about we go with $800 dollars, I'll scan in and optomize your logo, and have the first "rough draft" of the site up by this time next week. And, since this is a new site, I'll throw in the first month of hosting and a domain name. Also I'll need to know how you would like to do the updates, so I can code accordingly. Will you be doing this? Or would you prefer us to handle the updating of the tips?"

Almost Always Client:

"No, I think that we will have you do the updating."

Me:
    "Ok, we will update it every time you have something to add to it, limiting it of course to the tips, host it for you, and maintain your domain name. I think we could work this into about $300 a month."

Judge for yourself.

Learn how fast you can do something, and how well. Also, remember, if you only have one site you're keeping up, then you'll only be making $300 a month and $800 once.. but get 10-18 sites you're keeping up, and BAM! You're making $4300 a month just keeping up those sites. And that's AFTER hosting costs.
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff exbab ... what he said

Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but what should I charge for a website like

http://www.supremehandicrafts.com want a redesign??

Actually, this website does not needs a redesign, one of its competitor needs a re design. They have over 40 Pages.. I have also to design a logo for them..

What do you say ??

Tell me the amount for only the re design. Pictures are already been scanned, and the only thing i have to redesign their wholer website and design a logo and 3 or 4 banners for them..

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say you are running into a few thousand of bucks here. But you should come up with the price not ask someone here how much they would charge.

ex has a good point to think about. Even at a flat rate of $100 bucks a page your still looking a $4000 bucks. Even with a big bulk discount I still wouldn't go under 3000 and that would be if I really needed the client. Also a site with 40+ pages may want or need to reconsider using things like a server scripting language and database language etc., instead of just a flat webpage. This could end up costing alot more. I wouldn't even talk under five grand for coding db design etc... Believe me they will not find anyone cheaper for db design!

If the client goes that route though it can cost them more up front but less for upkeep. It is far easier to update etc...

Really it is not a good idea to get into a flat rate per page for design as really you are designing a site not just a page.

I hope this helps?

Late
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    should'nt i quote them
    US$999. Our competitor is offering the same prices to them..

you tell me what should i do..!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't worry about how much your competitor is going to bid. Only worry about how much you are worth to the client. You may have twice the price, but if you come accross professional, and like you know what you're doing (better that the competition, without putting them down), and, at least seem, to really care about your client and his needs.

If the competition is bidding $999 and you think that you need to charge more for your services, then, by all rights, DO! But make sure that you do it professionally, and don't show what you can do that the competition can't. Show everything that you CAN do, and make sure they are overwhelmed by the ammount of services that you offer.

example competition:
    "We do HTML and DHTML, Custom Javascript, and graphics for yor site."

Hopefully You:
    "Currently at this time we offer eye apealing static webdeisng using HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Flash, and other web based languages. And, if your company requires constant updates, we have an excellent programer that can set up dymanin, database driven pages, which makes it easy for you to update."
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks babylon..

have to think about it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok lets get down to the math:

Let's see the guys down the street will charge this client $999 for a 40 page website = approx 25 bucks a page.

Ok If they are going to do a job like the http://www.supremehandicrafts.com site. Very static, very boring, a little hard to navigate, no real order online page, etc... Well I would say yeah.

But if they want somthing a little better (or in this case alot better) Then that will take more time to produce.

Ok a forty page website if you can complete each page in an hour (this means everything - concept, design, redesign because customer would prefer this instead, etc...) Then you are baseing your wage on $25 bucks an hour. Anything more for this customer then your wage is going down. Could ex or I or anyone here design a 40 page static site in less then 40 hours that would look even better then the one at supremehandicrafts? You bet but really the customer wouldn't have a lot of choices here.

Now lets say the customer (who really doesn't know all that can be done) and you sit down. The customer and you decide that a more dynamic site is in order. By using a database we can update the site with very little effort. ie. we have a new product all we need to do is take a pic, write a description, and the price, then add all this to the db and the site is updated... Have a special??? add it to the db and it appears on the front page, the products page, and in the order page. Did I have to update three pages??? No just added the special to the database. ex can relate to this.

And all this may equal out to alot more then just an hour per page. In which case you may end up making alot less per hour.

Now I am not trying to sell you on this idea I am only trying to point out how a design can go. You will have the job of feeling out the customer on how they are thinking and how much are then willing to spend etc...

I hope this helps

Late
    Last edited by CryingWolf; Mar 18, 2001 at 15:49.
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but i dont know anything about database..
    and thats the main problem..

Thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then don't worry about it. Just tell the guy what you can do, and what you're going to charge him, be upfront about it, and if you don't get the job, don't sweat it. You won't always get the job. But I would suggest that you learn some server-side language and database. Either ASP/M$SSQL, or PHP/MySQL. I personally suggest the latter of the two.

But, just charge what you have to, and you'll have done the best you could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Omair Haroon
    but i dont know anything about database..
    and thats the main problem..

Thanks,
    I don't know if I see this as a problem? You don't really want to sell them on something that they may not want or really need. You really need to sit down and outline the site as a whole, what the site is mainly for, and if the site can really benefit from the use of server side elements. If their product and or services are very static in nature then you probably won't see any benefit from a db.

I won't say that a non databased site like the one you showed couldn't use some improvement using SQL or some other database. I certainly would look into it for this site.

As far as learning as you are doing, well how easily do you find this stuff??? Some of this stuff is literly plug-n-play. I have heard that it can be harder to install Apache, PHP, and mySQL then it is to learn it. If you already understand some things about programming elements then it should come to you easily enough.

You know looking over your first post, did you do any visual basic programming? Like using it in Excel or Access??? You may want to take a closer look at ASP???

Oh well these are just points to ponder as I am not trying to tell you what to do. I just wanted to point out a few things

I hope this helps

Late
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you need db or server-side, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to do some contract work. Including myself. Don't get worried about not having any db experience. Just tell them that you have found an extreemly relaible db programer, he may be a little bit more that industry "standard" but he's very fast and efficient.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, this website does not needs a redesign
    YES IT DOES!

The e-commerce section is inexusable, there are content gaps all over the place and horizontal scrolling even at 1024*768 resolution.

This is quite a big job to do right - it needs a total overhaul - be carefull not to undersell yourself. I wouldn't touch this site for 600 (Roughly your $999) figure.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your overhaul would that price include a database and language say mySQL and PHP or ASP etc??? We are talking 40 pages here.
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf