SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

optormize mysql database

HI i wonder if anyone can help me, i run a few sites one of my sites gets around 1.7 million hits a day, i use a inclusive server which i am told from my hosting company this is well big enough to handle the traffic, the problem seems to be with mysql i was told this will probably need optomizing is there anyone who could help me with this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwesthead
    HI i wonder if anyone can help me, i run a few sites one of my sites gets around 1.7 million hits a day, i use a inclusive server which i am told from my hosting company this is well big enough to handle the traffic, the problem seems to be with mysql i was told this will probably need optomizing is there anyone who could help me with this
    Try picking up the book "High Performance MySQL" by Zawodny & Balling. It's an O'Reilly book and pretty good. There are many things you can do to optimize it. You need to isolate the problems, it could be anything from your DB schema (maybe it needs denormalization), the SQL you're running could be very inefficient, or it could be many other things. It's a little difficult to give you solid advice when we don't really know the whole situation, like what your db looks like, where the bottlnecks are, etc, but I'm sure you'll figure it all out, be persistant!