SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating multi-column lists in CSS without tables?

Anybody have any idea how you would go about creating lists of items, that have repititive multi-column data (like http://shopping.com/), without resorting to tables (or "fudging it" by hard-coding locations)?

Doesn't seem like it should be too tough, but I can't figure out how to do it via CSS.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure exactly what you mean. Is it the contents of the columns you want to replicate?

If it is, the LH column is pretty easy. Use nested lists. The parent list is the bold headers. The child list is the sub-categories. Make the parent one class of list and the child another with an 'inline' style.

If this is not what you mean then ignore the above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you just use a table? They are allowed if you're displaying tabular data, which is (IMHO) what online shop search results are. Just be sure to make the table accessible by using things like the SUMMARY, THEAD, TH tags and attributes, etc.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fisicx
    Not sure exactly what you mean. Is it the contents of the columns you want to replicate?
    It is the layout. Like the way "product rating" and "price range" are on the left side in the example above, and "read..." and "compare..." are on the right side, in parallel columns.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Bradley
    Why don't you just use a table? They are allowed if you're displaying tabular data, which is (IMHO) what online shop search results are.
    I don't want this for shopping results, but for some mathematical sites. And while it can be said that the content there is indeed tabular in nature, I have an aversion to tables because of their loading time (the way all interior content must be loaded first). I might have some pretty big tables where this would be a noticeable issue many end-users.

So I'm looking for some way to present things similar to the example I gave, but preferably without involving tables.

Thanks for the responses