SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do I start with web standards, css etc.

Hello

This is my first post, so any advice greatly appreciated.

My day to day job is as an animator for medical anatomy CD-roms using flash and director. I have not practiced web design since I was at college a few years ago, although I do create odd sites for people.

I still design my sites with photoshop, dreamweaver and tables and this now appears to be frowned upon as old fashioned.

What is the best resource/starting point for learning to create sites in this new manner (i.e without tables and standards compliant).

I have just ordered Zeldmans book as it seems to be well thought of, should I order the sitepoint HTML utopia book as well?

Will I have to discard dreamweaver and start hand coding. How far I have been left behind and the amount I don't know is frightening!!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stu B

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! Youve actually found one of the best resources for what you want to do right here!

Start with some of the stickies up above here .... look up, look up se them? ... oh thats right , you cant see them on this page DUH... main listing at the top.

You can also find a TON of links up there that will keep you reading for MANY MANY moons!

To learn right Id put DW away for a while, learn by hand and then see if you want to start using it again! (You might be suprised)

Oh BTW, where exactly is Engalnd???

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its just below Scotalnd!

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It that across the pond from snited atates?

Glad you have a sense of humor .... your going to need it to work your way thru what you want to do!

In all seriousness though .... your not THAT far behind the times, although it might seem like it to you. The whole tableless / CSS design idea is really just now "coming of age" as you'll note from some of the MASSIVE agruments around here. But I for one, being a recent convert from the table "slice n dice" mentality, have REALLY started to see the difference in my site's speed, SEO and ease of updates... I honestly cant believe I didnt start earlier but ITS NEVER TOO LATE.

I just got Zeldmans book and am only 1/2 way thru it. Good stuff and a lot of the same ideas are bantered around here ALL DAY LONG. So as I said you've come to the right place.

Oh and BTW, you might want to start browsing the w3cs xhtml specs ...... whole other world from html (and about time I might add)