SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PostgreSQL or Mysql?

Does mysql have the same option where you can it allow for tables and indexes to be stored on different (or the same) filesystems.

Or should I use PostgreSQL? Is PostgreSQL suitable for more high end sites? I am making a site that will be database intensive and I want an open source database. Thanks
    Have a good day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll probably be fine with either. I'm not sure about the filesystem question however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your best bet would be to go the mysql route, countless tutorials and plus imho the php and mysql team can't be beat.

also have you used either database system before?
    i love php

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren884
    Does mysql have the same option where you can it allow for tables and indexes to be stored on different (or the same) filesystems.
    I don't think MySQL does support storing indexes and data on different filesystems

Quote Originally Posted by Darren884
    Or should I use PostgreSQL? Is PostgreSQL suitable for more high end sites? I am making a site that will be database intensive and I want an open source database. Thanks
    In what way will it be database intensive? For example, if you will be doing mostly SELECTs you may be better sticking with MySQL for speed. Do you need replication features, stored procedures, triggers, views, etc.? If you tell us a bit more about what you need we can point you in the right direction

Also, if you are looking for an Open Source database I would seriously advise you to look at Firebird too

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PostgreSQL is the best option when your data's integrity is important. PostgreSQL supports record locking. And stored procedures. If it's a simple database application, mysql will get the job done, but I'm a PostgreSQL snob
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySQL may be easier but look out for the gotchas: http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html

My opinion: anything that deals with real money or mission-critical data is much safer in PostgreSQL or some other DBMS that supports constraints, views, stored procedures and real error prevention (see gotchas above). Basically, with MySQL, you have to code many of your integrity constraints in your application, because the database won't provide them. I will agree that MySQL is improving in this area, but they have a long way to go.