User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Way for offsite articles

Hi guys,

my apologies if the title is misleading. Here's my problem:

Someone has a site (Site X) with a lot of articles. There are people from other sites who want to display these articles on their sites.

How do I implement a system where the sites can feed off Site X and display the articles on their site.

Someone proposed making the other sites put the articles in frames, but I'm on keen on doing that [personal objection...I hate frames].

Can someone point me in the right direction? Do I have to do some kind of RSS feed or XML or something?

The main reason we are doing this is to avoid people from copying the article and not giving due credit to the author [linkback etc]. What would be the best way to tackle this?

Thanks in advance guys
    asT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What i would probably do, is create an XML version of your article with all the required information included. Then get the other sites to parse the XML file. If they can't parse it, their bad luck. There is the option, of just creating a 'print' version of your articles, and allow other sites to manually copy and paste the text into their own webpages. The print version would have little formatting, only headings, etc.. no ads/layout.

-Peter

Edit: Oh, and i would charge them a small fee per article. You don't want sites, especially ones with higher traffic, taking all your articles in return for only a link back to your page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if all the articles are stored in a database, this is a rather easy task. Just create a script that accepts SOAP requests, looks up the article in the database, and then sends a SOAP response.

I find RSS feeds to be a fairly easiest way though.. in fact, I made an rss feed for my local newspaper's site that I adminsiter during my 15 minute break. You could implement this by letting the provide some get vars in the url to specify which or the number of articles, and just generate an rss feed to throw back.

Although I'd go with the first option, the 2nd option is probably the simplest.

James Carr, Software Engineer

assertEquals(newXPJob, you.ask(officeOfTheLaw));

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may create a duplicate content on internet and may not be welcome by some SEs. Frame is safer because G! ignores it, and other SEs seem to not care.