User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Identifying Missing Data Fields?

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can offer some insite into this one!

I'm making a database application that will have several users collect data from various sources and enter it as they gather it. I'm looking for a method of reporting progress on entering all the data ... maybe expressed as a percentage. So, say there are 20 fields in a given row, if 5 are still empty, I'd be able to determine that the row was 75% complete. Another useful tool would be to highlight which fields are still incomplete.

Example:

Say I've got a table that contains various data about 100 restaurants in my city. After 2 weeks of data gathering, I'd like to be able to see how close I am to having complete data for (restaurant _a), (restaurant_b), etc each individually, or all 100, as a percentage. Then, I'd like to be able to generate a report that show which data are still missing for each restaurant.

I was thinking along the lines of COUNTing NULL values or something, but I can't get it to work properly. Or maybe a giant WHERE clause ...

PHP Code:
    SELECT COUNT(*)
    FROM Table1Table2Table3 // , ... (for all tables)
    WHERE Column1 IS NULL OR Column2 IS NULL OR  Column2 IS NULL // OR ... (for all columns); 
    Anyway, I'm hoping someone else has some experience doing this ...

Thanks!
    Last edited by s21825; Jan 19, 2005 at 07:47.
    s21825