User Tag List

Thread: Digital Camera?

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Digital Camera?

I am in the market for a digital camera and have been looking at the Canon A95 but it is a little on the pricey side and I would like to spend a little less to get a similar product. Any suggestions? I want at least 4MP and a 3x optical zoom.

I have also been looking at the A85 which seems to be pretty close to the A95. Anyone know of any huge differences?

Thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Canon G5 which I think is of similar spec. I am very happy with it. It's a sort of inbetween between a point-and-shoot and an SLR (you can add lenses if you get an adaptor ring). If you want to see some example shots, feel free to view our honeymoon site. There's also some pics taken with it on my son's blog.

Aaron

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only a couple of problems with the G5. 1. It's expensive 2. I am not sure I would be able to use it to its full potential.

I am really looking for something I can point and shoot most of the time and occasionally take really nice, thought out photos with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a look through dpreview.com for some reviews on various cameras. Am sorry I can't be of any further assistance because I am a DSLR type

Oh, btw - don't get too hung up on pixels
    <! -- This post is best viewed with FireFox -->
    <blink> <blink><blinkity></blink>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Canon A80 - great little camera.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips everyone! (Keep 'em coming )

I am leaning more and more towards the A85. In everyone's experience has 3x Optical and 3x digital zoom been enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, 3x is enough for moderate distances. Of course it'd be nice to be able to zoom even more. The A80 has a removeable lens that can be replaced with a zoom lens (6x I think) or wide angle lens. I never use digital zoom.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DPReview.com is a great resource.
    Also check out photosig.com - you can do a search of photos there by Camera type to see what others have doen with that camera - great resource.

there's also a new forum for Texans at texasphotoforum.com , it's still new there so not alot of info, but join up when you get a camera and have fun.

As far as zoom, most digital cams nowadays have 3x optical, which is great. Totally forget about digital zoom, it is nothing but a marketing ploy and is horrendous. You get a better image upsampling your full optical in Photoshop than you do with a cameras onboard digital processor.

There are some great Olympus models out right now with 7-10x optical. I have 2 friends that have them and they really like it. Olympus generally makes good point and shoots.
    I don't know much about the Canon P&Ss though, so can't help you there. You might want to look at the camera magazines' out there in a bookstore and see if any have good reviews/editorials about them. Some are also on the web like popphoto.com and outdoorphotographer.com

You'll love having a digital - so many opportunities. I started with an Oly D460, went to an Oly C4000Z (which you can find refurbished for about $300 now - great deal), and am now upto a Canon 20D (digital SLR). Biggest problem with the DIgi SLRs is that you have to buy lens for them (have 3 so far), which can cost as much or more than the camera itself.

Also don't forget ebay. SOme of the name brand camera makers sell their refurbs there (Olympus for one), and also some of the major camera retailers sell there. Some retailers to check out for good prices include BHPhotoVideo.com 17Photo.com Adorama.com and BeachCamera.com

Best of Luck!
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple other tips for digital camera newbies:

- Get two sets of rechargeable batteries and a charger with a car adapter (in addition to the standard wall adapter).
    - Get two memory cards or more of at least 512MB in size.

Run out of charged batteries or memory and you're high and dry wherever you're shooting. For me, shooting most of the day, a set of batteries and a 512 memory card lasts about two days.

edit - oh yeah:
    - Compact flash (or whatever) card reader. Mine connects via PCMCIA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can get one of the G-series (ie, G5) then do it - escpecially if you're going to be wanting to use it for proper photography sometimes.

The A85 is nice though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got hold of an A85 from eBay just last week. It's a great little camera for a great price. If price is a concern and you usually only want point and shoot then it's a great buy. It also has the option, as mentioned above, for additional lenses which increases it's potential in the future.

There are 13 preset shooting modes, but there is also manual settings giving you full control for the times when you want to set it up yourself.

Although this is the first digital camera I have owned I've used plenty and this one seems to do everything I want and more... for now.

You won't be disappointed with the A85.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmann
    Only a couple of problems with the G5. 1. It's expensive
    What kind of prices are you getting and how does it compare with the one you are looking at?

Aaron