SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buffalo 1TB RAID 5 TeraStation

This sounds great. $999 is steep, but not really for one terabyte of RAID 5.

Buffalo's new TeraStation takes storage and backup to a new level. Digital music, photos, and especially video can take up gobs of storage space, and Buffalo's new TeraStation meets the growing need with a full terabyte of disk space. In addition to offering oodles of storage, the TeraStation is also a highly efficient backup solution that supports disk mirroring and, better yet, RAID 5, which converts the unit's four integrated hard drives into a single redundant disk array. RAID 5 combines the advantages of fast disk performance with a backup fail-safe: should one of the TeraStation's disk drives fail, you can simply replace it with a new empty disk and recover all the data in the array. Other new features and key specs include:

* Gigabit Ethernet port
    * Supports four operational modes, including Standard, Spanning, Mirroring, and RAID 5
    * Integrated print server
    * Four USB ports for added external hard drive expansion.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618710-1.html?tag=txt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a real strange product ATA drives... something tells me the read write speed on the drives is nothing and that's its a software RAID. The reason I say this is the only ways to connect to it are USB and GB Ethernet. They all lack real speed.... so editing video on it is out of the question. Its just a network storage device.... Thatís it.

You could get a bunch for 4 250GB ATA drives and software RAID it with better results.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a webserver I built a few weeks back, I used 4 250 gb serial ata drives and a 3ware hardware raid card. 750gb total space in raid 5. VERY fast setup, and under $1k to get 1tb in raid 5 you will need 350 x 4. But that is a nice little setup, its nice to see that hardware like that is droping in price. that setup would be perfect for a movie / file library.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webnx
    to get 1tb in raid 5 you will need 350 x 4. But that is a nice little setup, its nice to see that hardware like that is droping in price. that setup would be perfect for a movie / file library.
    Right... I was thinking strip not RAID 5.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right... I was thinking strip not RAID 5.
    you would be a very unhappy person is one of the drives failed been there once before, but its nice and fast!

Dan