SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac: iMac, PowerMac ... which is the most efficient for a webdesigner?

I've been playing with the idea of getting myself a Mac sometime soon ...

Many of you seem to be using a Mac or both, a Mac and a PC.

What I'd like to know is which of the current Mac models you'd recommend?

Before going any further, I'd like to say that I am NOT a gamer. I don't play any computer games, so I am not looking for any requirements in that regard.

What is (in your opinion) the best and most efficient (price + quality balance) Mac to use?

Software that would be primarely used are:

Adobe and Macromedia products for graphic/web/print design.

I have looked at the G5 and asked myself whether a G4 might not be sufficient? Or is there something so innovative about the G5 that it'd be a waste to spend money on a G4? Anyone have upgraded their systems and can compare the performance, setup, features etc.?

I have also looked into the PowerBook, iBook and iMac series.

Basically, I'd be very interested in reading what you have experienced using various systems and which one you'd recommend for the tasks mentioned above and whether you see some lacking features that have kept you from/or going back to a PC environment for your design tasks.

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Maleika
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think a G5 iMac would suit you just fine for the apps you'll be using. The PowerMac is a little overkill for web design (but if you have the money to spend on it...).

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    I think a G5 iMac would suit you just fine for the apps you'll be using. The PowerMac is a little overkill for web design (but if you have the money to spend on it...).
    Ah, I see. Thanks. It's what I thought too. What kind of puts me off a little is the fact that the iMac consists of a single compact monitor with all peripherie included within the monitor itself and I am not sure whether that is actually a good thing or a bad thing ... haha. I know it's most likely not a bad thing per se, but I was seriously wondering whether there are any drawbacks when you have these 2 in 1 systems. It might just be lack of information on my end though.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bandwagon!
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up G4

I have a G4 here at work and its fine.. Personally I stay away from the all in one jobbies as i htink there more for the home user rather than the Power user..

Get a desktop model as you can upgrade easily, actually get inside your mac if you so wish and tweak bits. Now I'm sure that the emac or whatever there called would be fine for a while.. Go the specced out second hand g4 as there are some bargains around.. Try Ebay..

Speaking of eaby a friend just got this for $900US

Dual 500 G4 Desktop model
    1 gig ram
    2x 100 gig HDD
    21 inch monitor
    keyboard
    2 graphics cards
    burner
    and a box of bits..
    Video-Tutes.com
    Web & Graphic design video tutorials
    100% free video tutorials.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macs are nice toys. I work(ed) on an eMac (the all-in-one-case deal). It's pretty decent, but I personally would not compare it with a desktop PC. It can be very slow at times (at least the one I worked on was, but it was probably the cheapest of the lot heh). The Powerbooks on the other hand... now those are technological jewels.

Oh, and whatever you get, get the biggest screen resolution you can get. Can never get enough of them pixels

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest a G4 is more than up to the job. Only go G5 if ya wanna be future proof and/or plan on doing video/music editing. Older models may require a little ram boost because of the resource hungry MM suite
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently playing with the idea of getting a Mac also. I was in virtually the same posistion as you. I dont play games and what not. In the end I decided on the iMac with a bit of extra memory than the standard.

It still hasn't arrived yet but I hope I will be happy with it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The most (price + quality balance) mac in my opinion is the iBook G4.

But if you have money to spend, then get yourself a dual G5 box without question. And definately extra ram.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're talking power, a G4 will be enough for it. Up until about a year and a half ago I was doing all my web work on a G3 266mhz desktop and didn't have any problems.

The G5's are nice and I actually work on one of the new G5 iMacs at work. It's a great machine but I don't notice a difference between it and my G4 dual 867 at home when doing web stuff. It just isn't taxing enough to require that extra power. For the monitor issue, even the 17" is plenty of monitor space for web work (larger or dual monitors is nice, but not necessary).

If you will not be travelling much or want to work away from your desk, then don't get a laptop, get a desktop. Laptops are nice but they are more limiting in the upgradability and built for mobility. A Powerbook can be a nice option, but are a little pricey if you aren't taking it anywhere (I have one and take it lots of places ... like the couch, the basement, etc ). I love using it, but I don't think I'd want it to be my only machine.

When looking at speeds, don't get the fastest option out there, because you'll pay more for the "newness" of it. A 1.4ghz will be plenty, you don't need to spend the extra for the 1.6ghz. Use that money to buy more RAM, which is the most important bit of equipment for your Mac. Get it up to at least 768MB (1GB would be optimal).

It really just all depends on your budget and preference. Anything that is out there will work for you and will continue to work for quite a while. Getting a G4 now doesn't mean that you will have to get a new G5 next year because your technology is "out of date". Yes, new things will come out, updates to software/hardware, etc ... but unless there is some new web technology that REQUIRES the very latest technology, you'll be fine.

Good luck with your purchase. I'm sure you'll be quite happy with whatever you choose.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most (price + quality balance) mac in my opinion is the iBook G4.
    I SO agree with this. They are very, very nice machines. For web design, they are so sweet, and very cheap to be macs.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks liquidreflex. That helped a lot.

My budget is not big. I am saving however.