SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should people be executed?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 38.38%
  • No

47 47.47%
  • Maybe

14 14.14%
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Death Penalty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jag was an old V12 that cost about 2,000, hardly greedy. 'Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V12, Nuff said. (listen to what you are saying)

Guzzle-guzzle...

Sorry, I don't blame you for being angry.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure a point like this has already been made but I don't have the time to read through 17 pages of posts, so here goes...

- and granted there are exceptions to every rule -

For those who are against the death penalty:

Lets say some guy murders everyone in your family (hopefully that never happens) and is convicted and goes to jail for some duration of time. How would you feel knowing that this man is in jail and your taxes that you pay to the government are being used to "rehabilitate" this guy that committed this horrible crime? Then lets say that this money that you have worked hard to earn has now "officially rehabilitated" this man and he goes free and now the person that took your family away from you is walking around on the streets, maybe back with his family, living life, while you are still paying the government to "rehabilitate" more criminals and you are without your family??? Sounds really fair to me! Yet would this scenario be possible if the death penalty was used?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well - he'd probably get life wouldn't he?
    The thought of him being buggered and beaten regularly would sit quite well with me - I pay tax for a lot more un-worthy causes...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hundley
    How would you feel knowing that this man is in jail and your taxes that you pay to the government are being used to "rehabilitate" this guy that committed this horrible crime? Then lets say that this money that you have worked hard to earn has now "officially rehabilitated" this man and he goes free and now the person that took your family away from you is walking around on the streets, maybe back with his family, living life, while you are still paying the government to "rehabilitate" more criminals and you are without your family??? Sounds really fair to me! Yet would this scenario be possible if the death penalty was used?
    That's exactly why I am against the death penalty. I'm not sure which side of the argument you are on, but that is a very good argument against the death penalty.

If we can save someone's life by rehabilitating them and then allowing them to reenter society, fully rehabilitated, then the world would be a great place.

However, it's not always that simple. How do we truly know if someone is rehabilitated. How do we know if someone is not going to re-offend? It's a tricky decision that has to be made on a case-by-case basis. The important thing is that we cannot kill anybody, no matter what. The ultimate goal of a society is to preserve life. Killing people is not on our agenda.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj

That's exactly why I am against the death penalty. I'm not sure which side of the argument you are on, but that is a very good argument against the death penalty.

If we can save someone's life by rehabilitating them and then allowing them to reenter society, fully rehabilitated, then the world would be a great place.

However, it's not always that simple. How do we truly know if someone is rehabilitated. How do we know if someone is not going to re-offend? It's a tricky decision that has to be made on a case-by-case basis. The important thing is that we cannot kill anybody, no matter what. The ultimate goal of a society is to preserve life. Killing people is not on our agenda.
    I disagree. The goal of soceity is to preserve order, not life. I also diasgree that it needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis, We need a static punishment for crimes. The law must be unwavering and justice must be swift. The case-by-case nonsense is what sparks arguments like "Temporary Insanity" and prompts stories such as "he was abused as a child". The fact is still that the person in question is guilty and should be executed REGARDLESS of his motive. His intentions, motives, hopes, desires, etc should not be a concern, It is the action that must be viewed and punished.

A strong message must be sent to the criminal element. They must know that abberant actions carry severe and swift penalties. If the law actually worked this way (Which could only be acheived by eliminating liberals) the world would be a safe place for law abiding citizens.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by uwajes
    How ridiculous. What does Bush have to do with executing prisoners? Is he the jury who decides life in prison or death by lethal injection? Of course not. He has nothing to do with the death penalty. And why would there be a rise in the death penalty because he is president? He's obviously not the first president to support the death penalty. Flawed opinions in Holland.
    Bush was the governor of the state of Texas, who put more people to death than any other state in the Union the past 5 years.

There's a theme of association here-- while he may not be hand picking who lives and who dies, the death penalty is associated with him.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"order" often equates to "systematized injustice"

the problem I have with that logic, Hellbent, is that it seems like an utterly dehumanized public policy - even Texas courts consider motive in determining punishment, don't they? - and I would argue that placing "order" as a society's principle objective sounds like a prescription for an Orwellian nightmare - don't ya think we should be more concerned with justice?? - and I don't mean "swift justice" as in, "let's get this trial outa the way so we can fry this guy"

I would find it very difficult to visit your fair city because of a horrible murder committed there a few decades ago - not because of the killing but because my feeling is that some people who wanted to preserve what they saw as "order" were behind it - the same people running the world today, sad to say

still not pdaj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HyperBaseball
    Bush was the governor of the state of Texas, who put more people to death than any other state in the Union the past 5 years.

There's a theme of association here-- while he may not be hand picking who lives and who dies, the death penalty is associated with him.
    I think you may have missed the point. It seems to me that everyone realizes that Bush is associated with the death penalty, but uwajes is saying that he gets a bad rap that he doesn't deserve...which I think is completely accurate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: "order" often equates to "systematized injustice"

Originally posted by mmi
    the problem I have with that logic, Hellbent, is that it seems like an utterly dehumanized public policy - even Texas courts consider motive in determining punishment, don't they? - and I would argue that placing "order" as a society's principle objective sounds like a prescription for an Orwellian nightmare - don't ya think we should be more concerned with justice?? - and I don't mean "swift justice" as in, "let's get this trial outa the way so we can fry this guy"

I would find it very difficult to visit your fair city because of a horrible murder committed there a few decades ago - not because of the killing but because my feeling is that some people who wanted to preserve what they saw as "order" were behind it - the same people running the world today, sad to say

still not pdaj
    Well I will give you that it is and should be Dehumanizing. Criminals should have no rights. They are a burden and a detriment to soceity. In Texas yes they do consider motive, However I beleive that to be a mistake. It is action that counts not intention.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hellbent,

So if tommorow some cops showed up at your house and said they were arresting you for murder, a murder which you know you didn't commit. Now you get stuck with a crappy lawyer and the DA in the case wants nothing more than to win a case by any means possible. So somehow a jury finds you guilty, which by the way happens all too often.

Now what would your stance be, go ahead and kill me, because if I get off that means some real criminal might get off also? Quite masochistic I might say. That just follows no logic even for a Texan

So is killing you, an innocent person, preserving order or promoting murder?
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    order must be preserved. at any cost