SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should people be executed?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 38.38%
  • No

47 47.47%
  • Maybe

14 14.14%
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since George W. Bush is the president, a lot of people in Holland think that more and more people will be punished with death for the crimes that they have commited (in holland there is no death penalty, and most people actually think that we have a very weak justice system, since you only get like 10 years if you kill a few people).

Personally I am against it, since I don't think we should have to right to kill others, and that's basically, cause I don't want to be killed by my peers!
    What if you get arrested and convicted and everything points to you.... The media will eat you up, and so will the crowd... Who will listen to your innocence? You die...

What if you were innocent?
    That's all folks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I don't think that criminals should be killed because punishment shoud be used only to help a person to "find the right way" in life. If you kill someone that person will not have any chanse to improve him/herself.
    I think that ALL people who are violent, aggressive and hateful have unsolved problems that they need professional help to solve. Prisons should consentrate on helping people figuring out what their problems are (low selfesteem and self respect, painful childhood memories and so on) and how to solve them. Punishment should NOT be a form of revenge. As we know violence leed to more violence. And we have to decide what we want: do we want people to improve themselves and become happy and respectful towards other people or do we just want to let out our own anger and punish someone who "has deserved it"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one thing about the death penalty that I have always wondered is how can you teach society not to kill by killing them for killing to me this seem total hypocritical. I'm happy that I live in Canada where we don't have the death penalty because I'm 100% against it.
    http://www.hostinquiry.com
    Look up your host today!
    ----------------------------
    ~Dylan Schiedel

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's raised an interesting question - prepare for a poll
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a criminal is to be killed. The government should look after that person's family after his death.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Djrs
    Last edited by Supermoo2; May 5, 2001 at 13:03.
    Ummmm.......

Whats the internet ??????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Djrs. People should get a fair chance at life. Here in Australia we don't have the death penalty, We focus more on helping criminals to "Find the right way in life" like marina mentioned.

I also saw a TV show (the 7:30 report I think) a while ago about a person who killed another person. He only had 6 months to live after trial before he could choose from the "electric chair" or a "lethal injection". He chose the lethal injection. 1 week later they strapped him down to a "Gurnie" (Some word like that) and gave him a lethal injection. As soon as the needle touched his skin he had only 3 minutes to live, only 3 minutes until his internal organs stopped or exploded.
    Imagine having a needle and knowing you were definatly going to die in 3 minutes, no hospitals or ambulances, just death. 2 minutes and 59 seconds later your heart explodes and you die.
    Ummmm.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading at some point, probably this was in the 80s, that the USA and South Africa are the only fully industrialized nations to still have the death penalty. Not sure if SA still does, but the USA does, obviously. At the time, the point raised by the article was that the death penalty and a society's view toward it could be correlated to institutionalized racism. (This is not to say that other industrialized nations, such as in Europe, do not have racism--just that it was not institutionalized, eg. in law, the same way.)

The USA has done a decent job in eliminating institutionalized racism (that's a whole other argument about affirmative action and such), but the vestiges remain. Personally, I see the death penalty and its uneven administration as an expression of continuing classism (not just racism, although that's a part) in the USA.

The sad truth is, the American public supports punishment of criminals, not rehabilitation. While there will always be some people who just can't be rehabilitated--so they would have to stay incarcerated, obviously--having drug and alcohol addiction programs, church involvement, job training and placement, anger management programs, relationship counseling, etc. available to prisoners could make a huge difference. As it is now, most jails and prisons in the USA have none of those things in place. And prisoners get out a lot "harder" than they went in, and the cycle continues.
    InformationSavant - developing intelligent web business
    StrangePegs.com - collectible cards, games, toys, comics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really say to this one. I think maybe more to the "it's wrong" side but i don't know how i would feel if I was more involved in a situation and that it personally effected me or some loved ones.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can imagine that if your loved ones are involved, or even if you yourself are, it's a whole different story, but I still think that people should decide objectivly. That is the way to create order in a society.
    I personally think it's wrong to not make a decision because you haven't been confronted with the issue.
    Because that works in two directions. On one side you have the situation where for example your family is kiled by some mad man, you would want to see him killed, so you are for the deaht penalty!
    On the other side, you have yourself arrested for killing your own family, cause the one armed killer got away, and you facing the death penalty for something you didn't commit.

We should think about it and take a stand, and the fact of the matter remains that in a system where people are sentenced to death (especially if judged by a jury where a great error margin exsists) errors will be made.
    So the decision you want to make is this:

Are you for the deathpenaly and that way accept the fact that out of 100 people who are put to death, one, two, maybe even 5 of them maybe innocent of the crime that they commited? Also taking into account that you maybe one of those five?

Or are you against the death penalty, that way not only making it possible for the courts to correct a possible error, but also for human beings to have a second chance (and not be killed by there own kind, who judge & excecute) and take into account that the man that won't die might be the man who killed your whole famliy...

Greetz
    That's all folks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should be tortured, put in prisons of 4x4 with only a bucket of water, which is renewed every third day and get to eat the dead rats they find in the shelter where those who did not survive are put.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw this only applies to child-abusers and insane murdrers. I think thiefs should be re-educated for a long period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget that child molesters have already been punished once - when they were molested themselves in their childhood! (Most of them anyway.)
    I don't think that you can become the person they are in their adult life without some kind of problems earlier in life. They obviosly need help (but until they are recovered, if it is possible at all, they should be kept away from people they may hurt!)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by CJ
    Btw this only applies to child-abusers and insane murdrers. I think thiefs should be re-educated for a long period.
    Sooooo - "insane" murderers (for example those incapable of malicious intent (making murder itself questionable), and those who don't know what day of the week it is) should be tortured.........

but......

those who have planned it out with cold logic, and know precisely what they're doing as they do it should have prefferential treatment?

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe..
    H. you are a smart one!

This'll be my last post on this subject, since it's getting way off to a topic that's not of interest with me.

Thanks everybody for their contributions, I really enjoyed them!

Greetz,

Tyhe.
    www.flavarites.com/syndicate
    That's all folks...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have read my opinion on this matter.

I am glad that I live in a country that has no capital punishment.

When people claim that if they were attached to the crime victims, then their opinion of capital punishment would swing against the offender, I feel that that is an indication of why the death penalty is problematic. It allows people to legitimatiely kill based on emotions and desires such as revenge or hatred. This is not justice. The hatred we feel for the offender, under capital punishment, breeds more violence.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man has no right to take anyone's life, only God do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a good idea. Look at other countries where they do worse to criminals like chop off their arms if they steal or something. These countries have low crime rates. Coincidence, I think not!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that may be so, but they probably also have a high rate of innocent people dying, or having trouble holding certain objects, since they lost their arms..

What if you lived there and were punished that way...

Jugde others as you want to be judged someone once said... and although I am not at all religious, I can understand them.. the same as that he is without sin should cast the first stone...

How can we judge our peers? Sentence them to their deaths? When we take their lives, because they don't fit in our community, that is inhuman!
    People don't have a choice, they have to participate in this weird world, but to kill them when they don't play by our rules... or even against other rules... killing someone is beastlike.
    That's all folks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Tyhe
    Well that may be so, but they probably also have a high rate of innocent people dying, or having trouble holding certain objects, since they lost their arms..

What if you lived there and were punished that way...

Jugde others as you want to be judged someone once said... and although I am not at all religious, I can understand them.. the same as that he is without sin should cast the first stone...

How can we judge our peers? Sentence them to their deaths? When we take their lives, because they don't fit in our community, that is inhuman!
    People don't have a choice, they have to participate in this weird world, but to kill them when they don't play by our rules... or even against other rules... killing someone is beastlike.
    Bravo....Bravo!!!!!!

Why did you post again????
    Ummmm.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldnt resist when Wes started going on about cutting off limbs of people for committing crimes, and what a great effect it had on the crime rates..

Greetz!
    That's all folks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the root of our problem is the prison system. The current system doesn't reform the prisoner it hides the prisoner away from society making the prisoner in most parts a worse person also making him/her more likely to be a repeat offender. We need a prison system that tries to heal prisoners and make it so when they have paid for the crime that can be reintegrated back in to society and lead a crime free health life.
    http://www.hostinquiry.com
    Look up your host today!
    ----------------------------
    ~Dylan Schiedel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, but what if prisoners don't want to be cured?
    That's all folks...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Tyhe
    Well, since George W. Bush is the president, a lot of people in Holland think that more and more people will be punished with death for the crimes that they have commited
    How ridiculous. What does Bush have to do with executing prisoners? Is he the jury who decides life in prison or death by lethal injection? Of course not. He has nothing to do with the death penalty. And why would there be a rise in the death penalty because he is president? He's obviously not the first president to support the death penalty. Flawed opinions in Holland.

Originally posted by DriveSeeker
    If a criminal is to be killed. The government should look after that person's family after his death.
    Why??? Has the criminal looked after the victim's family? No. The criminal is not going to look after his own family while he's in prison. So why should the government?
    Joseph Schell
    AMICO-Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with djrs 100%!
    ...but what if prisoners don't want to be cured?
    A person that isn't ready to live by societys rules should not be released from prison. But society shouldn't be hypocritical and use violence in order to prevent violence! Instead of waisting a lot of money on expensive executions the government should invest in good psychologist. A person that is capable of killing someone in cold blood obviously needs a LOT of help. But I think that all people are capable of improving themselves, some just need more help and time than others.