SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About to switch to SQL server from access

I have a nicely setup site setup running coldfusion and a lot of queries. I have it setup so that all queries point to a variable. That way I can change the datasource the site calls on with 1 line.

So I am getting ready to go from access (current) to sql server. I am getting familiar with enterprise manager and all those apps that are used there, but I am just wondering about the sql structures. Is it likely that most of my queries will work with no change? How much different are the 2 sql languages?

I am going to test it out later, but I am just curious if there is some tips and such for the process of going from one to the other.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    the sql languages are most definitely different -- but not a lot

you will have to test each and every query

particularly if they involve date functions
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Support r937

Yes! they differ but just a little. You must remember that sql and access come from the same vender and sql being powerful than access, you should expect to see some changes in the query.
    As r937 has already said, you need to test every query on the sql server before you start the migration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, so how would I start and yes there will be a bunch of date fields. I was looking for samples in the differences. I am not doing much with the queries yet as far as complexity, many of them are:

select * from table where ( couple of statements )

but the inserts are using code where I always do this: CreateODBCDateTime(TheDateVariable)

Makes a timestamp { .... } like that I think is how it formats it. Thats how I got it to always drop into access right. Then on the inserts, I am writing them with no ' ' so they are like this:
    DateField = #CreateODBCDateTime(TheDateVariable)#

( im using coldfusion here of course ) .. these are rough examples but this is really what I was wondering about. Maybe I just import the access DB and just try it and see which break.

Is there any conversion sites / resources. I have checked around.. maybe I am not finding the right keyword or who knows but didn't have much luck yet. ( im on a modem too .. slows down the R/D process )

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    switch to google.com and type 'teach yourself sql in 21 days.pdf' in the search bar and just click on the first link and I think that might help for now.